Build Thread Pete's Virginia Farm Find

Build Thread Pete's Virginia Farm Find
Today I prettied up my reciever bumper. Definitely a must have for our camping gear.

IMG_20170509_181216367_zpscnsunheo.jpg

We'll leave all the heavy duty aggressive stuff for the '79. This one is clean and blends in nicely.

IMG_20170513_200423639_zpsltzjt8be.jpg

Man I forgot how good 33s look on a Jeep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes no updates in 3 months is actually a good thing. The Cj has been running well and took us on all our Summer trips. She makes a pretty nice daily driver as well. The other day when I was working at 3 am I took note the headlights were kind of dim and one high beam was out. That turned into this:

IMG_20170831_180847072_zps02nfwwdu.jpg

I'll be installing the H4's along with all the rest of the lights this weekend.

I decided tomorrow after it gets dark I'll take some pics of all the current lights. Then once I'm done I'll take comparison pics Saturday , weather permitting. Hopefully it's not too rainy.

Running the relays? The h4s are a nice stockish upgrade. So happy I did mine. Makes driving at night much more relaxing.

Running the relays? The h4s are a nice stockish upgrade. So happy I did mine. Makes driving at night much more relaxing.

I'm not much for electrical. I sent a message to Thisguyyouknow for one of his set ups but have yet to hear back.

I'm not much for electrical. I sent a message to Thisguyyouknow for one of his set ups but have yet to hear back.

It's not too bad Pete.

I did it from scratch with the ez wiring kit install.

I'll check it out and get some notes for you.

You're basically just unhooking the high and low beam supply wiring to the lights and using those into #86 prong of the standard relay. Power from Batt to #30 prong (normally with inline fuse) #87 goes to the lights. I think I did 2 relays, but can't remember off the top of my head...

#30, #87, and #85 prongs should have larger gauge wiring than what you have stock to handle the higher current draw. I think was 16 gauge? maybe 14 / 18 - can't remember for sure...

Ground out the #85 prong.

Let me know if you want to get wire and do it yourself, and I'll get you the notes and check exactly how I did it... Mine goes through the added fusebox now, but essentially the same...

:chug:

Sometimes no updates in 3 months is actually a good thing. The Cj has been running well and took us on all our Summer trips. She makes a pretty nice daily driver as well. The other day when I was working at 3 am I took note the headlights were kind of dim and one high beam was out. That turned into this:

IMG_20170831_180847072_zps02nfwwdu.jpg

I'll be installing the H4's along with all the rest of the lights this weekend.

I didn't need to see this post.........sighhhhhhh

Just go to speedway motors. It was like $50 for the set up. Super easy. Plug and play.

Tried to search on their website but didn't get it. More serious attempts after work lol.

It's not too bad Pete.

I did it from scratch with the ez wiring kit install.

I'll check it out and get some notes for you.

You're basically just unhooking the high and low beam supply wiring to the lights and using those into #86 prong of the standard relay. Power from Batt to #30 prong (normally with inline fuse) #87 goes to the lights. I think I did 2 relays, but can't remember off the top of my head...

#30, #87, and #85 prongs should have larger gauge wiring than what you have stock to handle the higher current draw. I think was 16 gauge? maybe 14 / 18 - can't remember for sure...

Ground out the #85 prong.

Let me know if you want to get wire and do it yourself, and I'll get you the notes and check exactly how I did it... Mine goes through the added fusebox now, but essentially the same...

:chug:

I'm an electric idiot. I don't even know what this post means. :Wink:

I didn't need to see this post.........sighhhhhhh

Yes you did. It'll look great with the new paint. Can't wait to get this one painted. We just started a savings account for rust removal and repaint. Gonna get it done this Spring.

I'm an electric idiot. I don't even know what this post means. :Wink:

Fly me out and I'll buy the beer and wire it up for you. :D

Thanks guys. G8dain that's exactly what I was looking for. Have to order one. I went down to the garage , plugged the phone in for some music and forgot about before pics with everything lit up. I'll get some pics outside tonight with everything on. Here's some comparison with the lights off.

IMG_20170121_162143654_zpsbmqvpgyo.jpg

IMG_20170904_165645514_zps1eyfslj9.jpg

At first I was worried about the more modern look but now I kinda like it.

IMG_20170904_165957170_zps2y6jougl.jpg

The taillights look so much clearer and cleaner.

IMG_20170902_182127323_zps3rx5dhxm.jpg

IMG_20170904_170205511_zpscza8zlns.jpg

Same with the side marker lights. Cleaner clearer and no cracks

IMG_20170902_183959835_zpsqwyki0j9.jpg

I installed this kit after talking with 007. I added fuses instead of the fusible link wires in the kit. Just plugged them into the white connector. It's an easy upgrade - I did it. bb6684204b9f33bc0d689a68637bee4c.jpg

I installed this kit after talking with 007. I added fuses instead of the fusible link wires in the kit. Just plugged them into the white connector. It's an easy upgrade - I did it. bb6684204b9f33bc0d689a68637bee4c.jpg

I can even handle that. Thanks. Tried the new lights out tonight. Wow. I'm pretty happy.

Side markers you can actually see

IMG_20170904_201456471_zpseghf2qfw.jpg

Taillights look good and my days of running from the police are over with that license plate illumination.

IMG_20170904_201425609_zpsqpt4fiwb.jpg

High beam. Definitely will be getting flashed if I leave these on. I pretty much drove with the old ones on high all the time.

IMG_20170904_201543908_zpskt72zpeg.jpg

They really lit up the back of the garage reminding me it's time for more bodywork on the '79. Probably going to spruce the white Hard Top soon as well

IMG_20170904_201603225_zpsvh7eplhi.jpg

Very nice....... I like a lotta light on the road..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let me start with saying Hello to everyone again. I haven't been here posting as much cause unfortunately my father passed away earlier this month. At that point Vicki and I were at the hieght of our 2 Cj search. As you can imagine we decided to put everything on the back burner. We ended up losing a pretty well built Cj during that time but obviously we had more important things to attend to.

Fast forward to last night. Vicki and I are both on are phones resuming our Cj search. We'd been looking within a 4 hour radius of our place and were both bleary eyed from looking at rusted junk. Just before we settled on a $1300 rust bucket Vicki ran across a 1980 CJ7 that looked decent for $2300. Unfortunately it was 6 1/2 hours away. For us that trip involves a night in a hotel cause niether one of us enjoy 13 hrs of driving in a day.

The ad was just put up an hour before so I contacted the owner. He sent me pics of the small rusted areas then the engine and interior. I was hooked and Vicki was crunching numbers to see if we could afford it.( We have already committed to another $3500 Cj but that's another story. ) Vicki said $2100 would make it more comfortable for our budget and I should ask him if he'd accept that. I didn't really like negotiating what I felt was already a low price so I went to bed. This morning I had a text saying if I was serious they'd take $1800 :eek: to help with shipping. I almost broke my leg running downstairs to tell Vicki. Needless to say the Cj below should arrive at my place no later than the 16th. We needed something like this to put a smile on our faces after a somewhat subdued Christmas this year. Once I get a little more time I'll go over the details and plans we have for it.

00I0I_5IbUz5K46lp_600x450_zpsgsisepzy.jpg

Hi pete, newbie here and thanks for sharing. Misisng my fam bc of this :(

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks