Build Thread Pete's Virginia Farm Find

Build Thread Pete's Virginia Farm Find

Petescj

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-7 258 / T-18 / Dana 300 31 in All Terrains.
1978 CJ-7 304 / TH 400 / Quadratrac 32 in Mud Terrains
Let me start with saying Hello to everyone again. I haven't been here posting as much cause unfortunately my father passed away earlier this month. At that point Vicki and I were at the hieght of our 2 Cj search. As you can imagine we decided to put everything on the back burner. We ended up losing a pretty well built Cj during that time but obviously we had more important things to attend to.

Fast forward to last night. Vicki and I are both on are phones resuming our Cj search. We'd been looking within a 4 hour radius of our place and were both bleary eyed from looking at rusted junk. Just before we settled on a $1300 rust bucket Vicki ran across a 1980 CJ7 that looked decent for $2300. Unfortunately it was 6 1/2 hours away. For us that trip involves a night in a hotel cause niether one of us enjoy 13 hrs of driving in a day.

The ad was just put up an hour before so I contacted the owner. He sent me pics of the small rusted areas then the engine and interior. I was hooked and Vicki was crunching numbers to see if we could afford it.( We have already committed to another $3500 Cj but that's another story. ) Vicki said $2100 would make it more comfortable for our budget and I should ask him if he'd accept that. I didn't really like negotiating what I felt was already a low price so I went to bed. This morning I had a text saying if I was serious they'd take $1800 :eek: to help with shipping. I almost broke my leg running downstairs to tell Vicki. Needless to say the Cj below should arrive at my place no later than the 16th. We needed something like this to put a smile on our faces after a somewhat subdued Christmas this year. Once I get a little more time I'll go over the details and plans we have for it.

00I0I_5IbUz5K46lp_600x450_zpsgsisepzy.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your Dad, Pete. I know its hard.

Glad to see you've found a new CJ. Looking forward to seeing the "before" pics.

Sorry to hear about your dad this is a hard time of year to lose a loved one, we have lost a lot of great people this year. But nothing like a new Jeep to help the healing. Looking forward to hearing more about it. Happy New Year I hope it is a good one for you guys.

So sorry Pete. I do not look forward to that happening in my life. And of course, good luck with the CJ(s)

So sorry to hear about losing your Dad. That's tough especially around the holidays. And sorry I missed your Birthday too. Glad you all have a new CJ on the way. AND Happy New Year! And… thanks so much for all the time you give to this site, it is appreciated! 😀 🎂 🎉🍾❄️🍻

Good looking CJ.

The older I get, the more I miss my dad (2008) and mom (2000).

Sorry to hear about your dad, our prayers are with you.and your family. Have fun with the "new" cj 🖒🖒🖒

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

My condolences Pete, I know what it is like to loose your Dad. On another note, nice find. We can't wait for more pictures. :popcorn: Also that teaser about a 2nd CJ? ;) Anyway all the best to you and Vicki! You guys deserve a break. :D

My condolences to you, and your family.

Thank you everyone for the Well wishes. I appreciate it. Now we'll talk a little more about the Jeep. 1980 CJ7 with the 258 / T176/Dana 300. That's a score right there , probably the best drive train of the 80s. Narrow track axles with unknown gear ratios. I'm betting on 3.54s. I'm buying this Jeep from the original owner with 107000 on the odometer. The only things not stock are the wheels , tires and a 4 in lift.

The Jeep has a hard top thats been on it almost all its life. The doors sealed good as well as evidence by the original floor throughout the Jeep. No patches there or are any needed. Most of the rust is going to unbolt. The windshield frame is shot (another is provided) and both fenders have small spots , one being dented as well. There's only one small spot on the rocker panel and one on each taillight panel. This is probably the closest I've ever come to rust free and was my biggest reason for purchasing this Cj

00Z0Z_8ui9HpqXyvA_600x450_zpsapalouek.jpg

The Jeep was a street queen for the first few years of its life and then put to work on the farm soon afterwards. It looks like it was well taken care of. I love the embossed "CJ" door panels and the fact there's no stress cracks in the doors.

20161230_193940_zpsk7pbt8jt.jpg

As others have said, my Condolences for your loss.

Nice find and great drive train. When I saw the 1980 the drive train worries sent up a warning flare, not now.

I see you've got the rare, high quality wood front bumper upgrade. Very nice! Good luck, hope the surprises are minimal.

Here's what most of the candidates looked like that were closer to me. :eek: This one made me think of Hack right away :

00y0y_2JirhIZr9FV_1200x900_zpso7sb0rdm.png

My condolences Pete, I know what it is like to loose your Dad. On another note, nice find. We can't wait for more pictures. :popcorn: Also that teaser about a 2nd CJ? ;) Anyway all the best to you and Vicki! You guys deserve a break. :D

I'll have to download a pic of the other Cj and post a thread. No build thread. Not alot of changes will be made to it. Probably a tech thread of manual to auto trans swap with some cosmetic stuff.

The Jeep was a street queen for the first few years of its life and then put to work on the farm soon afterwards. It looks like it was well taken care of. I love the embossed "CJ" door panels and the fact there's no stress cracks in the doors.

20161230_193940_zpsk7pbt8jt.jpg

That's awesome! Never seen that before. :popcorn:

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Nice to have a back and with a new toy too!

Sorry for the loss of your Dad.
I lost mine almost 20 years ago. Think of him and Mom several times a day.
Stay strong-Your Dad would want that.
Respectfully,
LG

Nice find Pete - Will be watching too!

What are the build plans on this one?

:popcorn:

Nice find Pete - Will be watching too!

What are the build plans on this one?

:popcorn:

Basic weekend warrior. Nothing to radical. Stay with 33s no larger. Upgrade the rear axle. Beef up the steering components and a 4 to 1 kit in the transfer case. Get rid of the little rust there is and clean it up good. I'd like a good roll cage as well just in case. :cool: I'm dying here. Should arrive this weekend.

Basic weekend warrior. Nothing to radical. Stay with 33s no larger. Upgrade the rear axle. Beef up the steering components and a 4 to 1 kit in the transfer case. Get rid of the little rust there is and clean it up good. I'd like a good roll cage as well just in case. :cool: I'm dying here. Should arrive this weekend.

Then we can expect some real pictures by Monday? ;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks