Build Thread Pete's Virginia Farm Find

Build Thread Pete's Virginia Farm Find
What is your overall plan/goal with it?

What is your overall plan/goal with it?

Honestly nothing really crazy. Obviously get rid of any rust. Then the basic upgrades. One piece axles , heavy duty steering box mount , beefy tie rod and drag link along with flipping them top side. Probably a lunch box locker in the rear and 4 to 1 gears in the T case. Every year Vicki and I get closer to making that annual Colorado trail ride. I want it done for the next one. I have enough vacation now and will be in a new place well before then. I hope to take two weeks next year and enjoy this Cj in the mountains of Colorado.

Sounds great! Can't wait to watch it come together...my wife and I are already scouting land to buy/build our next place I can have a workshop again to build the next Jeep instead of paying someone to do...

I've been working on this pretty much lately. Rebuilt the brake system front to rear. Replaced that bad water pump awhile back and swapped out that rotted windshield frame.

IMG_20170326_171949754_zps4ggctqv5.jpg

New rotors and pads along with rear shoes and wheel cylinders. Replaced two rusty lines in the rear as well as cleaning and painting the drums. Putting in the new master cylinder today.

IMG_20170319_184739684_zpswbw2xigp.jpg

I never saw a tinted front windshield before but I found one in a group of parts I grabbed off Craigslist.

IMG_20170324_181959287_zpsckningqo.jpg

Here you can see the tint better in the new windshield frame.

tinted_zpsg68oglms.jpg

A little help from Vicki and it's out with the old and in with the new. Only had to drill 4 of the 8 Torx bolts out. I got it all bolted up last night.

windshield%202_zps3bcianqd.jpg

Hopefully after this weekend's work I'll get her inspected and I'll be able to blow some of that dust off.

windshield_zpslcvibd2b.jpg

Man that's sweet getting another one back on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man that's sweet getting another one back on the road

Just in time for camping. I've become addicted to cleaning up parts when there off and painting them as well. Couple more pics of the brakes. And a nice shiny new fuel tank.

IMG_20170326_171849318_zpslicyqj2w.jpg

IMG_20170422_175319505_zps2pjn3myr.jpg

IMG_20170320_183257610_zpstw2kxxdh.jpg

Looking good, glad to see you both making progress! My husband (mriplaybass) and I spend lots of time working on our CJ. We really enjoy sharing the hobby.

Looking good keep after it

Got the brakes bled , replaced damaged front flare and put the seat back in. So since I changed the master cylinder now my brake lights are on constantly. I can't find anything on the pedal that looks like a switch or sensor. I decided to unhook the battery and leave that for another day. I have the wiper arms and motor to connect and put the tires back on but my knee just wouldn't hold out. Should be test driving it sometime after work tomorrow.

Not sure on yours, but the switch on mine is up high on the pedal. Looking good Pete!

Yeah it's a tough spot to get into for me. I'll have to contort a bit more and look higher.

Thanks

Pete, I would suggest pulling out the front seat to lay on the floor and make the brake light switch adjustment.

Pete, I would suggest pulling out the front seat to lay on the floor and make the brake light switch adjustment.

:agree: that's the only way I can get to it.

That's right and a couple of towels or a blanket to lay on

Thanks guys. If I get the time I'll pull the seat one day after work. If not I'll let a more nimble mechanic at the inspection station handle it. :laugh:.

Do you have any plans on cleaning the inside of the frame?
Nice job! Hope to start mine with in the next few weeks. Waiting to pick up a frame.

Do you have any plans on cleaning the inside of the frame?
Nice job! Hope to start mine with in the next few weeks. Waiting to pick up a frame.

I was lucky. The frame on this Cj is one of the nicest I've seen. I do plan to clean it out , most likely with a pressure washer but I hadn't looked into it just yet.

I was hoping to get a couple miles out of the tires the Cj came with but the inspection station didn't like how dry rotted they were. I found a pretty good deal on these Falken Wild Peak AW3's. Since this isn't being built as a hard core trail rig we decided on 33 inch AT's this time.

IMG_20170510_160341189_zpsp3zhoorf.jpg

They didn't look bad and got really good reviews from what I read. I thought they looked pretty aggressive for an AT.

IMG_20170511_200403988_zpsphh3kbtk.jpg

I like the stance and the look as well. In the endless fight to make my knee a bit more comfortable I changed jobs inside my factory and the 33s make it a bit easier to get in and out as compared to the 35s on the last one.

IMG_20170511_200349606_zps09dwwcji.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks