Planning the 8th Annual Colorado Trail Ride

Will you be able to attend the 8th Annual Ouray - Silverton Trail Ride

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Planning the 8th Annual Colorado Trail Ride
I plan to be there with wifey. She won't be on all the runs but maybe some moderate trails.

IF I can still make it I will have 2-3 with me in the Jeep.

Take some advice from a divorcé, don't make your spouse or kids feel obligated to join us on a Jeep trail ride. If they would prefer to find their own activities by all means encourage it. If they would like to take a walk they hardly need an itinerary. Just tell them to walk around town. They can walk along the main streets of Silverton (Greene Street and Blair St.). Many streets were named after the founders of Silverton (i.e. Green St., Blair St., Snowdon St., Reese St.) Francis Marion Snowden was one of the first pioneers to arrive in the valley then called Bakers Park. He built this cabin in 1874:
Silverton_first_cabin_330995.jpg

The town of Silverton then grew up around him. His cabin was the first tavern in town. He served explorers and prospectors.
If your family would like longer hikes there are lots of options. Just let me know.
But the one activity I think almost everyone would enjoy is ...
drum roll please ...
giphy.gif
The Durango Silverton Train.
Official Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train

24208d1533607224-planning-8th-annual-colorado-trail-ride-train-near-rockwood-.jpg

24207d1533607224-planning-8th-annual-colorado-trail-ride-train.jpg

This train is so cool! Even the sound of the steam whistle is so much better than the air horns of modern trains. In 1890 these trains were like the Apollo space ships of the late 1960's except the trains were not Limited to a few trained astronauts.

24209d1533607224-planning-8th-annual-colorado-trail-ride-train-near-rockwood.jpg

I think that everyone that ever comes to south-western Colorado should ride this train. It is an awesome trip. This train takes you through some very rugged mountains and through some deep canyon gorges. Everyone should do this once. Yes, once. If you don't do it right it can be too much. This train goes slooow. That's okay to see this scenery once but it you do the round trip this train ride becomes an all day event. To go to Durango and back you will board the train at about 9:00 am and not finish until 7:00 pm. Instead I recommend going one way on the train and come back on a bus. The bus is faster but it also covers some beautiful terrain. The train tracks are near the highway for some of the route but most of the way the train goes over much more rugged canyons. The train company sells both the train and bus tickets. I recommend you ride on the eastern side of the train. If you take the train from Silverton to Durango you will want the left side of the train. If you take the train from Durango to Silverton you will want the right side of the train. Either way a bus will take you back and then you'll see different sights.

Attachments

• train.jpg
    train.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 64
  • train near Rockwood(.jpg
    train near Rockwood(.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 63
  • train near Rockwood.jpg
    train near Rockwood.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Still flying in on the 19th. My flight is late so I will miss the drivers meeting. Can't wait to see everyone.

Have my hand held programmed but want to reiterate that everyone should have a CB also.

Hopefully I'll get to talk with a few on the 19th.

I agree Dave. They may do that a day or so if I get my issue fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch!! Computer or mechanical?

Not sure yet. I have swapped O2 sensors and cleared all configs and started from scratch. AFR pegs at 35.5 or so. That tells it it’s lean so it dumps fuel in and drips out exhaust.

I have a data log I captured and sent to Holley... Not looking good.

Not sure yet. I have swapped O2 sensors and cleared all configs and started from scratch. AFR pegs at 35.5 or so. That tells it it’s lean so it dumps fuel in and drips out exhaust.

I have a data log I captured and sent to Holley... Not looking good.
Does it run at all? Can you manually enter 'Limp Mode?'

It runs but it will foul plugs and O2 sensors...

Will talk to Holley tomorrow and see what their thoughts are.

So you have a lot of air but very little fuel is being injected. :confused:
I hope Holly can figure it out. It's their product. Don't let them place the blame elsewhere. Other factors such as exhaust and air filter may play a small part but not if you are that lean. Holly ProJection should be able to detect how lean you are and compensate. It should not try to inject more or less fuel than the airflow can allow. It has the sensors and should be able to do the job. Keep us updated.

O2 sensor is for closed loop correction, primary control should be MAP vs rpm vs throttle position. I would suspect MAP before O2, at least that's how it would work on GM TBI.

Or I may be completely full of :dung:, who knows?

Dave

Is there any possibility of an air leak near the O2 sensor?
That could cause the condition you describe.

Last edited:
Worked on a Pro Jection that exhibited the same problem. As Pistol said it was the MAP.

Hope you get it fixed.

Mechanical problems away from home in Montana wobbled our knees, emergency eye surgery for Carolyn today for a torn retina …….. what can we say guys? We have to tap out of the trip this fall. We hope to stop by the shop before you go to say hey. Carolyn is sore and will have a huge shiner for awhile but it all went well.

Sorry to hear. I hope Carolyn heals up well.

Take care.

I wish Carolyn a speedy recovery. See you at the shop.

Sorry to hear you cannot make the trip. Hoping your wife heals quickly and we see you at Bill's shop.

Sent using Tapatalk

Just an update on our son's plans. They will arrive in Silverton Monday night or Tuesday morning. They are sightseeing Tuesday. They plan to ride with us on Wednesday for Black Bear, and has a jeep rental reserved for Thursday and Friday.

Sent using Tapatalk

Just an update on our son's plans. They will arrive in Silverton Monday night or Tuesday morning. They are sightseeing Tuesday. They plan to ride with us on Wednesday for Black Bear, and have a jeep rental reserved for Thursday and Friday.

Sent using Tapatalk

Sent using Tapatalk

Mechanical problems away from home in Montana wobbled our knees, emergency eye surgery for Carolyn today for a torn retina …….. what can we say guys? We have to tap out of the trip this fall. We hope to stop by the shop before you go to say hey. Carolyn is sore and will have a huge shiner for awhile but it all went well.
Sorry to hear that you won't make it this year. I hope that Carolyn's recuperation goes well. I hope that you are able to stop by Bill's shop and at least say hello.

I bought the BaoFeng UV-5R Two Way Radio.

We'll see how these work out. Trying to communicate on CBs and dual band radios might get confusing. Before long we'll pick a preferred method of communication.
418yazKK8-L.jpg
You can adjust the frequency of these BaoFeng radios by .250 so here's what I've set mine to:
151.750 VHF
462.700 UHF

Who all coming to Colorado does NOT have one of these?

Is it possible to just go this route completely this year? I don’t care at all, I’m just asking the question.

I have an extra one that someone can borrow. I just have to remember to make sure it's changed up.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks