Planning the 8th Annual Colorado Trail Ride

Will you be able to attend the 8th Annual Ouray - Silverton Trail Ride

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Planning the 8th Annual Colorado Trail Ride
Here is the list of participants I have so far. Please correct any mistakes I've made.

Bill D +1 Passenger
BusaDave9
CJ No jeep
MrIPlayBass
Oldjeeplady 2 jeeps and a total of 4 people counting MrIPlayBass
Posi +1 Passenger
Shooby
WHATROAD
007 +1 Passenger
Caveman
Gert
PistolDave

Total of 17 people and 11 jeeps

Last edited:
I am coming up with 11 jeeps... Maybe I cannot count?

Sent from my living room using Tapatalk

Once again I will need assistance leading trail rides. Last year I had lots of help in this regard, especially from Posi. I'm sure I'll have plenty of assistance again this year.
Anyone that is thinking of leading a trail ride pick up a book and map in advance. Even if you won't be a trail leader this year now is the time to get familiarized with navigating the mountains. And yes there will be a test. When we're in the middle of the mountains I'll ask "do you know where we are? Can you find our location on a map?"

An excellent book that covers these trails is Colorado Trails Southwest Region. Make sure you get the southwest region.
51HNAJNx%2BJL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/Colorado-Tra...id=1532125294&sr=8-3&keywords=colorado+trails

And an excellent map is Latitude 40 SW Colorado Recreation Map
61fkJQewIaL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Southwest-Co...mr1&keywords=latitude+40+degrees+colorado+map

Also go to AllTrails.com they have a GPS app you can install on your smartphone to guide you to these trails.

AllTrails-Maps-Quality.jpg

If you are thinking about helping lead a trail ride this year or next it's nice for use all to use the same recourses. Many of these trails have multiple names.

Last edited:
Was it something I said?

Sometimes I just don’t understand how this forum works. My comment was in reply to something said two pages prior.

NEVER MIND!!!

Sometimes I just don’t understand how this forum works. My comment was in reply to something said two pages prior.

NEVER MIND!!!

If your using Tapatalk, there’s a bug lately. I’ve done the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your using Tapatalk, there’s a bug lately. I’ve done the same thing.

I don't use tapatalk anymore for some time. I think there is something else going on. Just in the last few days I'm having other problem.

This is the 8th year in a row I'll be hosting this Colorado Trail ride. Every year I include a new trail. This year will be no exception. This year we will be going up Arrastra Gulch. I have an old thread about this trail. It shows what's in store.
https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/fall-san-juan-mountains-15878/
This trail becomes narrow at times but if we split up into groups of 5 of so it shouldn't be an issue. We'll follow under this tram that used to carry ore out of the mountains.
KingSolomonMt.jpg

Last edited:
I’d be happy to help lead a group or anything else you may need
Thanks for hosting this trail run once again it’s enjoyed by many. We all appreciate the hard work you put in to make this such a great event.
You do know your required to attend the 2 annual Spring CJ trail run in Moab next year. :)

:agree:
I too would be happy to lead a group if necessary Dave. Happy to take some of the burden off you after all you have done for us over the years!:chug:

Thanks guys. I'll be hosting a trail ride each day but if we split up into two groups I'll need at least one of you to lead the other group. :notworthy:

The tentative plan for trail rides:
Each day we will probably split up into approximately 2 groups (depending on attendance we might have 1 group some days). The meeting place for each trail ride will most likely be the motel or camp of the trail leader.

Pick from these trails:
Monday - trip 1 or 9

Tuesday - trip 2 or 4

Wednesday - trip 3 or 6

Thursday - trip 7 or 5

Friday - trip 8 or 10

Trip 1: Engineer Pass trail. From Silverton we'll head north on the highway and turn off at Lower Engineer Pass trail. After we reach the top of Engineer Pass we'll go to Animas Forks ghost town.
Warning: Lower Engineer Pass Trail (also known as Mineral Creek trail) has some rock crawling.

Trip 2: Minnie Gulch, Maggie Gulch and then Eureka Gulch. These are beautiful glacial valleys that also have silver mines.

Trip 3: Black Bear Pass & Imogene Pass. We'll start on Highway 550 at Red Mountain Pass and climb over Black Bear Pass into Telluride. Then take Imogene Pass to Ouray and the highway back to Silverton.
Warning: Black Bear pass may be intimidating for those with a fear of heights.

Trip 4: Poughkeepsie Gulch. We'll take Lower Engineer Pass trail, this time starting at highway 550 and going up to Poughkeepsie Gulch fork.
Warning: This is a more difficult trail. You need lockers to take your jeep up "The Wall". If you don't feel you are up to it you can watch the others and then take the bypass.

Trip 5: Arrastra Gulch. We will follow jeep trails that follow under an old aerial tram. At the top we will explore the land around the Black Prince Mine. We have never gone on this trail.

Trip 6: Corkscrew Pass. We'll start on the Million Dollar highway and go up Corkscrew Pass. Then we'll follow Cement Creek back to Silverton. If there is time we'll probably go up Prospect Gulch.

Trip 7: Beartown site and Stony Pass. This is an enjoyable trail that takes us deep into the mountains to Beartown site and Kite Lake.

Trip 8: Cinnamon Pass and American Basin. We head up the Animas River gorge then take Picayune Gulch and Placer Gulch around to Animas Forks Ghost town. Then we'll go over Cinnamon Pass to American Basin.

Trip 9: Brooklyn Trail, US Basin, Porphyry Gulch. We've often gone on US Basin but today we'll cross over to Black Bear. We've also gone on Black Bear but we would reach a fork. I would always say "turn right at this fork" but today we'll take the left for the first (time instead of going over Black Bear Pass).

Trip 10: Kendall Mountain and Deer Park. We climb to the top of Kendall Mt and look down on Silverton.

Bring Cash

If you are coming you might want to bring cash. In Silverton they have a cash discount for buying gas.

Re: Bring Cash

If you are coming you might want to bring cash. In Silverton they have a cash discount for buying gas.

When we were there-Many of the stores and restaurants did also.
LG

San Juan Station on 550, the one we fuel up at after a day's trail run.
Current prices.
Credit card = $339
Cash = $329
$1.50 savings for a 15 gallon fill up.

I will have my 2-way radio with me on this trip.

I will have my 2-way radio with me on this trip.

I was going to ask about that, I have one that has not been programmed. In fact it has never been out-of-the-box. Should I go ahead and bring it?

We are bringing ours. But we are set up for CB on the trail. We mounted a fixed antenna on the jeep so our son and future daughter will use our spare cb in their rental jeep.
I will say that trying to communicate on two different radios, run the camera, charge the batteries, take pictures and hold on when necessary can be a bit much. Or I will just drive!

Sent using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom