Planning the 8th Annual Colorado Trail Ride

Will you be able to attend the 8th Annual Ouray - Silverton Trail Ride

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Planning the 8th Annual Colorado Trail Ride
I have a spare also. I think I have a spare charger and battery. Our local club here in Colorado Springs have used these radios for several years with great success. They don’t use CB’s at all any more.

I do suggest we stay on standard frs/gmrs frequencies, however. It keeps it cleaner and prevents stepping on others.

We only have one. We just added a fixed cb antenna for our jeep, so our son could use our spare cb w mag mount antenna in his rental on Thursday and Friday.

Sent using Tapatalk

I bought the BaoFeng UV-5R Two Way Radio.

We'll see how these work out. Trying to communicate on CBs and dual band radios might get confusing. Before long we'll pick a preferred method of communication.
418yazKK8-L.jpg
You can adjust the frequency of these BaoFeng radios by .250 so here's what I've set mine to:
151.750 VHF
462.700 UHF
Is the A band the weather channel in your location?

Sent using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what frequency my radios are set at. They were set by someone in the offroad club that I belong.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what frequency my radios are set at. They were set by someone in the offroad club that I belong.

It doesn't matter. We would prefer to set it to 151.750 VHF but if that doesn't work 462.700 UHF will do as a secondary channel.

Is the A band the weather channel in your location?

No. The A channel is a 2 way VHF channel we can all use. I have not set a weather channel. If anyone hears the weather we can let the others know.

I say we all use the A channel. If we have problems we all try the B channel (also for 2 way communication). If that doesn't work we use the CB. If that doesn't work we use smoke signals.

The weather channel is one way communication for weather only.

With the CB radios I can hear but I have a hard time understanding exact words. That is most likely just me. I don't know if these 2 way radios will help that.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter. We would prefer to set it to 151.750 VHF but if that doesn't work 462.700 UHF will do as a secondary channel.

No. The A channel is a 2 way VHF channel we can all use. I have not set a weather channel. If anyone hears the weather we can let the others know.

I say we all use the A channel. If we have problems we all try the B channel (also for 2 way communication). If that doesn't work we use the CB. If that doesn't work we use smoke signals.

The weather channel is one way communication for weather only.

With the CB radios I can hear but I have a hard time understanding exact words. That is most likely just me. I don't know if these 2 way radios will help that.
I'll have to have someone that knows more about it than me look at mine.

Well, hate to harsh your all's buzz about the radios but...

I.m packed, drone, clothing and all and will be shipping my to go box out to Co on Monday for Friday delivery. I fly out Sunday for a great week to see everyone. Cannot wait!

Now for a serious question... I just moved on Friday and still cannot find the flat ware! Do you know how hard it is to eat everything with your knife?! If you know where the utensils are please contact me... :) :) ;)

Also, I thought radios were going to set on Freq A (primary) to 462.7125 and Freq B (Secondary Weather) to 162.475. At least that is what I have mine set to. Since the radios don't have a weather scan it customary to use B as NOAA.

If no one disagrees, lets all get togeter on this.

A = 462.7125 (Talk)
B = 162.475 (Weather)

Thoughts?

It's not possible to set these radios like this:
A = 462.7125 (Talk)
B = 162.475 (Weather)

We are talking about the BaoFeng UV-5R Two Way Radio, aren't we? (007s UV-8R is the same except 8 watts)
The A channel is VHF. It can't go up to 462
The B channel is UHF. It can't go down to 162

Here's what Shooby said
It reads:

and Bill

We should be using 462.7125 which I believe is FRS channel 7. I keep the other channel at 162.475 which is weather channel.

If you try to program in 462.7125, it will may not work. In that case try 462.712 and it may allow or just go to 462.710. One of my radios works one way and one the other. It really doesn’t matter - 462.710 is close enough.

Another issue is you can change the frequency on these radios by .025 so if I want to follow Shooby I can set my A channel to 151.725 or 151.750 or 151.775

I can set the A channel to 162.475 like Bill is saying. This is a weather channel but I can broadcast when I press the button.

For the B channel I can once again only adjust the frequency by .025 so the closest I can get is 462.700 or 462.725

Last edited:
I agree with Dave regarding UHF and VHF and which is which.

On our radio you can put it in frequency mode and enter the six numbers directly from the keypad. If you set the A band to pick up the weather channel, what you set it for seems to vary by your location at that time. And yes, you could still transmit, but there would be constant broadcast from NOAA, so maybe not a good idea. Our CB also picks up the weather channel as most of the newer ones do. I would suggest we just bring those handheld radios to the meeting Sunday night and get them all set the same for whatever we decide. And whatever CB channel we might be using.

Sent using Tapatalk

Ahh thanks. I was just trying to go up and down to find the frequency. I'll try entering the digits.
So we'll use one UHF channel for communication. If we want to set the VHF channel for weather instead of 2 way communication that's fine.

This pic is from 2007, do you recognize the Jeep and the driver (w/daughter)?
He was on last year’s trail run.

0ee089306f21a3deb8b550bfcf694ae4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This pic is from 2007, do you recognize the Jeep and the driver (w/daughter)?
He was on last year’s trail run.

0ee089306f21a3deb8b550bfcf694ae4.jpg

Hagar

Busa seems to be disputing what I said about radio frequencies, etc on Tapatalk. Since I don’t do Tapatalk, I don’t know how to get back to him.

FYI, Chanel A can be set UHF OR VHF and the other way around. I have both a Baofeng and a Rugged radio other than color, they appear identical and both work as above. The only difference seems to be in the number of digits to the right of the decimal that can be programmed. As far as programming is concerned, I would like for us to use standard FRS/GMRS channel spacing rather than be creative. Since the legality of using frequency bands that we are not licensed for is questionable at best, let’s try to blend in as much as possible by using standard channels.

Thanks Bill, I guess I got that wrong about A/B VHF/UHF. Our radio is packed. We will set it up when we see each other in Colorado Springs. Thanks again.

Sent using Tapatalk

We should be using 462.7125 which I believe is FRS channel 7. I keep the other channel at 162.475 which is weather channel.

Busa seems to be disputing what I said about radio frequencies, etc on Tapatalk. Since I don’t do Tapatalk, I don’t know how to get back to him.

FYI, Chanel A can be set UHF OR VHF and the other way around. I have both a Baofeng and a Rugged radio other than color, they appear identical and both work as above. The only difference seems to be in the number of digits to the right of the decimal that can be programmed. As far as programming is concerned, I would like for us to use standard FRS/GMRS channel spacing rather than be creative. Since the legality of using frequency bands that we are not licensed for is questionable at best, let’s try to blend in as much as possible by using standard channels.

Bill, I'm not disputing you at all. You said the weather channel is 162.475. I set my radio to that and it is a weather channel.

I quoted everyone that mentioned what frequencies we should use. No one is wrong to suggest a frequency. Sorry if I came across as rude. I just wanted to put all our options out there.

I don't know how to set channel A to UHF or B to VHF. When we are in Silverton maybe you could show me. :notworthy:

I was thinking of leading a group Sunday on Poughkeepsie like we did last year. However, I see we will be running Poughkeepsie on Tuesday rather then our typical Thursday run. Instead of doing the same run 2 out of 3 days maybe we can just chill for the day......did I just type chill? Whoever is up for a Sunday morning trail ride I’m game, doesn’t have to be Poughkeepsie
If interested we can make plans Saturday night.

I was thinking of leading a group Sunday on Poughkeepsie like we did last year. However, I see we will be running Poughkeepsie on Tuesday rather then our typical Thursday run. Instead of doing the same run 2 out of 3 days maybe we can just chill for the day......did I just type chill? Whoever is up for a Sunday morning trail ride I’m game, doesn’t have to be Poughkeepsie

If interested we can make plans Saturday night.

My kids want to see Oursy so I was thinking about taking the family out towards the gold king mine up to “Chuck Pointe” and then back over across corkscrew into Ouray and then 550 back to the Brooklyn trail and then back into Silverton on Sunday...just throwing that out there.

You guys have a great time - sorry I'm missing it this year - I'm planning to get together on one of the rides next year.

I'll drool over the photos this time.

:chug:

Will be in Silverton tomorrow. I doubt that I'll have internet service after tomorrow morning When we leave wherever it is that we are now. When and where is our first meet up going to be?

Wifey just reminded me that tomorrow is Friday not Saturday. Will have to call the campground to see if they can get us in a day early. If not we'll probably be here for another day. Will have to do some local sightseeing.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks