Planning the 5th Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ Trail Ride

Will you make it to the Jeep-CJ.com trail ride in Colorado?

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Planning the 5th Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ Trail Ride
Are you going to make it to Ouray Colorado for the trail ride, Fishnchips?
We have been here since May first, we have a summer job at the bachelor Syracuse mine, I give tours and the wife works in the gift shop. We usually work 3 to 4 days a week about 5 hours a day. Stan does a great breakfast out under a the tent. Give me a call 903-780-8787

Ronnie

Hey fishnchips I will look you up when we get there, I'm there with the whole family that week and that's one of the things they want to tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kim and I are for the summer, I have not logged on for a few years, I have my 86 here with me, would be happy to help if I can.

Ronnie pinkieson
Thanks Ronnie. I'll talk to you soon.

History of Chief Ouray

I thought I would bump this thread with a little history. Those of us that will be attending the trail ride will be staying in Ouray Colorado. Ouray was named after an Indian chief that was greatly respected by white man. He was not respected by other native Americans.

Chief Ouray was chief of the Ute tribe (Ute rhymes with butte). He lived in the mid 1800's. He was invited to come to Washington by president Lincoln. He came by way of train with his wife and many other Indian chiefs and leaders. They stayed at nice accommodations.

Lincoln and the negotiators offered Ouray and the other Ute Indians a generous monetary offer if they were to move west. Chief Ouray was overwhelmed with the offer and couldn’t refuse. They moved into what is now western Colorado.

When the Indians were forced to move west many revolted. Ouray was the chief of the Ute tribe and had no say over what the other tribes should do. Other Indian tribes refused to move. They receive none of the money Chief Ouray was given for the settlement. The revolt accumulated in what has since been called the Meeker Massacre where native Americans attacked a US military post headed by Nathan Meeker.

The US government later agreed to renegotiate the treaty that caused the Native Americans to revolt. The US government then called Chief Ouray back to the negotiation table. The US government told Chief Ouray that the Ute Tribe would receive lots of farming equipment, plows and other valuables necessary to produce crops and other goods. Chief Ouray himself was offered $1000 a month for ten years. That was a lot of money in the mid 1800's. It is important to note that the government wanted to give Ouray the money as US paper currency. Ouray asked “what can I do with this paper money?” They responded that “you could go into town and have the builders build you any kind of home you want. You could get anything you would want at the General Store.” With all the money that Ouray had, he became a great friend of the white man.
All that the Indians were asked to do was to move west into what is now Utah. Chief Ouray agreed even though Ouray himself was allowed to stay in Colorado. This made the other native American tribes even more furious because they were never involved in the negotiations. This is exactly what the tribes were upset about in the first place: Chief Ouray does not represent any tribe but the Utes. No one but Ouray and the other Utes revived any of the government payments but all the Indians had to move west. The governments response was like “We can't negotiate with every single tribe out there. Ouray agreed to our terms so the rest of you better move west or there'll be war.” And there was war. There were battles between indians and white man.

Chief Ouray and the Utes became very wealthy but the the other tribes believed that much of that money should belong to them. This caused much animosity between Chief Ouray and the other tribes. Chief Ouray lived in a nice house and the other tribes were forced to leave their homes and move west. Chief Ouray promised to pay back his wealth when he died. He told his wife, Chipeta to collect all his money when he died in the form of hard coins such as gold and silver, not paper money and then distribute the money to all the native americans that thought they should have that money.
She did as she was told. When Ouray was old and dieing he and his wife were brought back to the agency along the Pine River (east of Durango) with all his wealth in the form of gold and silver. So he told his wife “Take the dipper and dip into these bags, and for each Indian give him a share” So a lot of the people came by and they took that and they threw it into the river “Here's your money” they said. Many of the native americans dove into the river but much of the money was never retrieved.

Here's a picture of Chief Ouray and his wife Chipeta
Ouray%20and%20Chipeta.jpg

url

Sources: Images of Durango by Frederic B. Wildfang

Last edited:
Great bit of info Dave. We really enjoy your knowledge of the area. It makes a great trip even more enjoyable!

Hedge, you're gonna make it aren't you?

Sorry to say, no I'm not. As the CJ is right now it's got a 3.31 gear set in the back and 3.73's in the front. The replacement 3.31 axle is waiting to be installed until after some parts come back from sand blasting, I need the CJ to transport the parts. Installing the axle is no problem it's installing the power brakes that make me nervous. Either it will be a piece of cake (attaching to the firewall, drilling holes, adjusting things, making lines and bleeding) or it will be one of those nightmares we all hear about. I've also got 1/2 the new gauges for the new dash which needs painting after sand (or media depending on heat distortion) blasting. Too much is still hanging, also since most of it is going into parts, money is a big concern. I really did want to attend this year. When all is done and properly tested on the CJ, I might head up there alone. I really need some time away.

Sorry to say, no I'm not. As the CJ is right now it's got a 3.31 gear set in the back and 3.73's in the front. The replacement 3.31 axle is waiting to be installed until after some parts come back from sand blasting, I need the CJ to transport the parts. Installing the axle is no problem it's installing the power brakes that make me nervous. Either it will be a piece of cake (attaching to the firewall, drilling holes, adjusting things, making lines and bleeding) or it will be one of those nightmares we all hear about. I've also got 1/2 the new gauges for the new dash which needs painting after sand (or media depending on heat distortion) blasting. Too much is still hanging, also since most of it is going into parts, money is a big concern. I really did want to attend this year. When all is done and properly tested on the CJ, I might head up there alone. I really need some time away.

Well it's all completely understandable. We have all been there.

If you get a wild hair up your rear drive up for a few days and hitch a ride. We'd love to meet you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does everyone have a place to stay?
Motels are full.
If you don't have a motel for the trail ride let me know. I can get you a room.
In just 2 weeks we'll be starting the trail ride in Ouray. I know many of you won't be there until Monday or so.

Is it too soon to ask when you will be putting YOUR rig on a trailer and enjoy the vast panorama that is New Mexico and West Texas and drag yourself down to the flat. We can make a whirlwind tour of every off road park in driving distance of Dallas.

Does everyone have a place to stay?
Motels are full.
If you don't have a motel for the trail ride let me know. I can get you a room.
In just 2 weeks we'll be starting the trail ride in Ouray. I know many of you won't be there until Monday or so.
All set with a room, I'll arrive Saturday afternoon.

Is it too soon to ask when you will be putting YOUR rig on a trailer and enjoy the vast panorama that is New Mexico and West Texas and drag yourself down to the flat. We can make a whirlwind tour of every off road park in driving distance of Dallas.

IO this sure sounds like you are offering to host next years trail ride...
:poke:

What do you all think???

This sounds fun. I'd love to go wheeling with you again.

Here's my tentative plans:
Some of us will be arriving Saturday, July 25th and meeting for dinner at O'Briens Pub in Ouray
arrival_day_ouray.jpg

Sunday, July 26th - We'll be heading up Governor basin and Yankee Boy Basin.
Day3-10CampBirdTrail-cropped_zps75578b89.jpg
Camp Bird Trail

24PotosiPeak_zpsbb252611.jpg
Governor Basin Road

Monday - Engineer Pass - This is one of my favorite trails
day1-003_lower_engineer_pass_trail.jpg

we'll be coming back over Corkscrew Pass
3-03%20Corkscrew%20Pass%20Large_zpss66xscsl.jpg

Tuesday - Blackbear Pass, that is if no one has acrophobia.
392DescendingBlackBear.jpg

and we'll come back via Imogene pass
day2-081_imogene_pass.jpg

Wednesday - We'll go to Silverton then over Stony Pass and on to Beartown site
1052KiteLake.jpg

Thursday - If people are up to it I'd like to try Poughkeepsie Gulch. You can't do this trail with open differentials.
Day4-14%20Poughkeepsie%20Gulch_zpsfkqoqksx.jpg

Friday the 31st is a travel day to head back home.

These plans are tentative and can change depending on participant feedback.
With the exception of Poughkeepsie Gulch these trails can be done with a stock CJ.

Are we good to go with these base plans or has there been changes?

The basic plans have not changed.
Saturday we may be celebrating the birthday of 007's young daughter. We're not sure where that'll be but give me a call when you arrive. Does everyone have my cell number?

Thanks, will do.

The basic plans have not changed.
Saturday we may be celebrating the birthday of 007's young daughter. We're not sure where that'll be but give me a call when you arrive. Does everyone have my cell number?

The evening of the 25th, you're all invited to meet at the Historic Western Hotel / San Juan Scenic Jeep Tours - on the deck there outside. It's just up the street from the River's Edge Hotel. Me, my wife, my four daughters (+1 boyfriend) and my mother and mother-in-law will be celebrating my daughter Khari's First Birthday!

She was born just a month before last years trail ride and this year is the year the whole family goes to the mountains (we alternate beach/mountains).

We will provide pizza and soft drinks, the bar will be open for those preferring to purchase those "other" drinks as well...:chug:
Hope to see as many as possible - you are ALL invited!

Wow! that's quite a crew to drive half way across the country with! I assume you are flat towing the Jeep behind your Expedition? My question is...............who rides in the towed Jeep on the way out? Mother and Mother in law? :poke:

Looks like so much fun - only 2500 miles from Brewer, Me! Man I'd love to get out there sometime!

Wooly

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks