Announcing the 3rd Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ Trail Ride

Will you make it to the Jeep-CJ.com trail ride in Colorado?

• I am 80% sure I will make it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Announcing the 3rd Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ Trail Ride
If you were closer Vicki and I would take you to Natural Bridge with us. ;) I know how you feel about doing this trip though. The pics Dave takes make me crazy!! One day I'll figure out how to make it happen. You will too. :)
That is great to know! Unfortunately, everything around here (home) keeps breaking and my dear husband can hardly keep up let alone make significant progress on a CJ - any of them...:( He is not a person to hire out work as it is expensive and usually done wrong anyway, so we do pretty much everything that we can ourselves. I am just really frustrated right now and it is showing....sorry if I am offending anyone...:eek:

With my other health problems and my eyesight problems(eyes are out of alignment bad due to some strange undefined brain event so the Dr's have told me - I see double up close most of the time, but have special glasses to corrrect some of it), I don't even know if I could make a full day of "real" wheeling on my own. I might need a buddie - but my husband drives truck for a living and doesn't want to drive far for a vacation....:(:( Truth be told I am on total disability - I HATE IT - I wish I could still work, but I cannot. Becoming dependant on others really su:censored:cks bad sometimes. Maybe this is how my eyesight got messed up - :bang::bang::bang:

Maybe I should just be happy that I didn't die off waiting for the surgery I had in January to fix my partially blocked intestine, and that the tumor wasn't cancer, and I can now tolerate foods beyond just ensure.....:)

I just really want to go on this trip.....It's on the bucket list...:D

The evil IO is wanting to ask if you will be going to Poughkeepsie gulch this year.:D
PoughkeepsieGulchSignSmall.jpg
We could do Poughkeepsie Gulch on Friday but I think I'll wait to make a definite decision maybe until the trail rides have started. After a couple of days we can all decide if we want a challenge. If we do Poughkeepsie, it will be the only trail that a stock CJ won't be able to accomplish. You need lockers for Poughkeepsie. There is an alternate route around Poughkeepsie but it will be the same as the Tuesday trail ride.

Dave,

I wonder if most of the members here just haven't seen this! Do we want to see about making a "site announcement" with CJ?

I can't believe more people / member would not want to go!

I can't wait until my CJ is ready...

Then I'm going to grab Coldair on the way through with his CJ, and we'll be there!

But, it just wont be this year...

soon... :cool::cool::rolleyes:

:chug:
~ Jr

Dave,

I wonder if most of the members here just haven't seen this! Do we want to see about making a "site announcement" with CJ?

Then I'm going to grab Coldair on the way through with his CJ, and we'll be there!

~ Jr

What?? No, no....this is the year...you gotta come!!:driving:

What?? No, no....this is the year...you gotta come!!:driving:

:laugh: by the time I got there I'd be in a "fred flinstone" CJ from all the miles... not to mention if I somehow trailered it there, I'd be lucky to not be the one everyone is having to limp along...

Soon... I've got some plans for after my wedding and honeymoon cruise this year... :D:D

;)
~ Jr

I've got some plans for after my wedding and honeymoon cruise this year... :D:D

;)
~ Jr
You're going on a honeymoon cruse instead of the jeep-CJ trail ride in the mountains?
Where's your priorities?

You're going on a honeymoon cruse instead of the jeep-CJ trail ride in the mountains?
Where's your priorities?

:laugh:

1st priority: Not be murdered first year of marriage... :cool:

:notworthy:
~ Jr

Dave,

~ Jr
I'm not sure what to think a site announcement. There's still plenty of time for people to find out and make plans. But it would be nice to get the word out.
The more the merrier. . . up to a point. If we get more than 10 on a trail ride that's too much and I would want to split it up into 2 groups. Maybe IO would lead one.:D
But I really don't think we'll have more than 10 people show up. There's always lots of people that sound interested but few show up.

JR. Congrats. When's the date? ( can pm me , don't want to high jack the thread)

I'm not sure what to think a site announcement. There's still plenty of time for people to find out and make plans. But it would be nice to get the word out.
The more the merrier. . . up to a point. If we get more than 10 on a trail ride that's too much and I would want to split it up into 2 groups. Maybe IO would lead one.:D
But I really don't think we'll have more than 10 people show up. There's always lots of people that sound interested but few show up.

I hear you there! Too many may be more problematic, I just know you put a lot of work into this, and would love for you to get more interest. I think I know how to, but would check with CJ to ensure it wouldn't be a problem first, if you decide you want to give it a shot.

JR. Congrats. When's the date? ( can pm me , don't want to high jack the thread)
June 1st :D

Wait, wait...you think that after you get married and go on the honeymoon you will have time and money to fix up the jeep. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Wait, wait...you think that after you get married and go on the honeymoon you will have time and money to fix up the jeep. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

:laugh:

i not sure why not :wtf: :doh: I just have to make her like going jeeping too! Which will mean good working heater, and get her drinking more to calm the nerves on the trail... lol :jeeplove:

Just to bump this thread and get the word out here are some pics of what to expect on Tuesday, August 27.
From Silverton we will head to the north end of town and head northwest. We will go into this valley:
attachment.php

We will come into the far side of this valley and climb the mountain to the right. Most of this trail is hidden but you can see part of the trail on the far right. We will then head over Corkscrew pass. This day we will not end up at the spot that I took the above picture.
We will then climb above the tree line. Corkscrew pass goes among the Red Mountains. There are 3 of them. This next picture shows the trail. The Red Mountains get their name from the iron in the mountains.
attachment.php

Here's another picture of a pond near Corkscrew Pass.
attachment.php

Looking back we will see Storm Peak and Velocity Basin, a glacial valley.
attachment.php

We will head over Corkscrew Pass and down onto highway 550. From there we will take Engineer Pass trail. This trail is very rocky.
day1-003_lower_engineer_pass_trail.jpg

day1-007_lower_engineer_pass_trail__poughkeepsie_gulch_in_background.jpg

This will be slow going as we head back to Silverton for a dinner and a few brews.
BTW in the background of the above picture is Poughkeepsie Gulch. I'm not sure if we will head there. If so it will be on Friday. I will wait for feedback from participants since it is the only trail that will require lockers. Not a piece of cake.

Attachments

• Day4-33 Mount beyond Red Mountains (Medium).JPG
    Day4-33 Mount beyond Red Mountains (Medium).JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 651
  • Day4-54 trail in the Red Mountains (Medium).JPG
    Day4-54 trail in the Red Mountains (Medium).JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 704
  • Day4-57Velocity Basin and Storm Pk (Medium).JPG
    Day4-57Velocity Basin and Storm Pk (Medium).JPG
    58 KB · Views: 890
  • Storm Pk from Hurricane Pass (Medium).jpg
    Storm Pk from Hurricane Pass (Medium).jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 983
Last edited:
Looks Great Dave!!! I would think we would have more guys from Florida and the flatland states signing up...come on people...top of the world jeeping!!! Can't beat it.

I vote yes for Black Bear and Imogene pass, I know it's a long day but well worth it. and I do very much want to try Poughkeepsie Gulch.:D

For those of you coming through Trinidad, Colorado, I am available to help if you need it.

We have a Wal-Mart, Autozone, O'Rielly's, NAPA, CARQUEST, several towing companies/mechanics available.

If you need help to get going again, my number is (719)68O-O171.

I will also help you get here or to the closest bigger city if necessary. I have a 24' trailer to tow with and will go anywhere up to 100 miles from here, depending on the day, I work every 3rd day currently, and on call every 6th.

I also have a garage that can be used as well.

For those of you coming through Trinidad, Colorado, I am available to help if you need it.

We have a Wal-Mart, Autozone, O'Rielly's, NAPA, CARQUEST, several towing companies/mechanics available.

I will also help you get here or to the closest bigger city if necessary. I have a 24' trailer to tow with and will go anywhere up to 100 miles from here, depending on the day, I work every 3rd day currently, and on call every 6th.

I also have a garage that can be used as well.

Thanks Stodg! Anyone planing on even driving near Trinidad CO should save your number.

It's greatly appreciated. :notworthy:

:ty:

Dave,

~ Jr
Believe me, I've seen it. These are like the quintessential wilderness trails to me. These are some of the trails I used to read about in FourWheeler mag as a kid in the 70's. They're like the Rubicon. If I could go I'd be there. Well.... except for Black Bear Pass. Just pictures of those switchbacks give me the willies. Some things have grey areas, that mountainside to me is pretty black and white. You don't go off the road "a little" on that road.
Besides the Jeep still being in pieces, Pa. is mighty far away. But should I win the lottery..... I'm there dude!:drool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks