Announcing the 3rd Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ Trail Ride

Will you make it to the Jeep-CJ.com trail ride in Colorado?

• I am 80% sure I will make it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Announcing the 3rd Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ Trail Ride

BusaDave9

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.
The 3rd Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ Trail Ride will take place the last week of August 2013.
This year we will be using Silverton Colorado as our base.
day2-065_black_bear_pass.jpg

We will be having breakfast and dinner at restaurants. Bring a cooler to carry sandwiches and drinks. Lunch will be on the trails.
A CB Radio is recommended. This is how we will communicate on the trails.

Unless the participants suggest otherwise all trail rides will be doable in a stock CJ but at least one Limited slip will be helpful.
I would like to hear recommendations from participants but here are my tentative plans:

Sunday, Aug. 25
– Arrival day. No trail rides are planed. We will meet for dinner and drinks at the Handlebars restaurant in Silverton. Silverton is a cool historic town. An old steam engine locomotive brings tourists from Durango. Check out this link for more pics of Silverton: Pics of Siverton
ThePickleBarrel_zpsf4a7c8ca.jpg

Monday, Aug. 26
– We will head into Minnie and Maggie Gulches. Check out this link to see what is in store for this day: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/maggie-gulch-minnie-gulch-15094/
73MinnieGulch.jpg
Minnie Gulch

Tuesday, Aug. 27 – We will be taking Corkscrew Pass over the mountains to highway 550. We will take the highway less than 4 miles to lower Engineer Pass trail. This trail starts off very rough and rocky. We will keep climbing up and up until we reach Engineer pass where we will feel we are on top of the world. Then on the way back we will stop at Animas Forks Ghost Town. A very cool ghost town that was abandoned many decades ago but still has several standing buildings.
014Large.jpg
Lower Engineer Pass Trail

Wednesday, Aug. 28
– Today we will be taking infamous Black Bear Pass into Telluride. We will then come back via the Imogene Pass. Check out this link for these trails: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/black-bear-imogene-passes-6540/
I realize, with the ledges, Black Bear pass does sound scary. If participants would prefer we can take Ophir Pass which is several miles south of Black Bear Pass. Either way we will ride into Telluride and then use Imogene Pass to come back. Imogene pass will dump us out in Telluride and we will head back to Silverton. This will be a long day. I also think it will be the most enjoyable. If participants would like a shorter day we can head to the Gladstone area.
5_descending_black_bear.jpg

Black Bear Pass

Thursday Aug. 29 – Today we will head over Hurricane Pass and California Pass and then over Cinnamon Pass. Here we will go into American Basin.
865_AmericanBasinCJ5Large.jpg
American Basin

Friday Aug. 30 – I have not made definitive plans for this day and would like participant feedback before I decide. My original plan was to go into Placer Gulch, Picayne Gulch and Eureka Gulch. These trails can all be done in a stock CJ. If the participants want a challenge we can try Poughkeepsie Gulch but for this trail you need front and rear lockers. Normally you would also need a winch but I can winch you up The Wall if you can't make it.
PoughkeepsieGulchSignSmall.jpg

Saturday will be travel day to head back home.

Please PM me if you plan on coming. I will need to give you my phone number. We will use phones until we arrive in Silverton. Once we get on the trails the phones will be useless and we'll rely on the CB radios.

Check out this link on the trail report for the 2nd Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ.com Trail Ride: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/2nd-annual-colorado-jeep-cj-com-trail-report-15621/
It was also held in the same area. There are countless trails around here so I welcome suggestions. Do you want beautiful scenery or an off-road challenge. Or both!

If you plan on coming you can stay at the Canyonview Motel (970) 387-5400
Another option is the Red Mountain Motel, Cabins, RV Park

Both of these places are on the south end of town across the street from each other. I plan on staying at one of them.
The Red Mountain Motel and RV park has camping area and places you can grill up a steak or burger.

If you would like something with more historic charm check out the Wyman Hotel
mywebsite001027.jpg

The Wyman Hotel​

Last edited:
Yeah!! Looks great Dave..barring death, I will be there. Can I make those trails with my 1 inch life?

A lift won't be necessary. :chug:

Thanks for making me jealous 3 years and counting. :D

I really am going to make it one of these years, it just won't be this one.:(

Thanks for making me jealous 3 years and counting. :D

:agree:

:chug:

Hope to see it again this year from afar... however, i'm actually hopeful for next years... I'll be working on making my rig reliable for the drive / tow and use on trails later this year...

:cool:

~ Jr

Hope to see it again this year from afar... however, i'm actually hopeful for next years... I'll be working on making my rig reliable for the drive / tow and use on trails later this year...

~ Jr

What...come on... reliability is way over rated. Besides there will be plenty of us to bail you out. :D

It really is amazing. Then you have Dave showing us all of it through his awesome photography on top of it. Id love to have a shot of my Cj on Black Bear Pass. Who wouldnt?

~ Jr

I understand where your at with your Cj. It would eat at me way more if I was close like you are. :)

What...come on... reliability is way over rated. Besides there will be plenty of us to bail you out. :D

Ride back to Pa? :D

Heck Pete...you may be kicked out of your house any day any hoot...one way trip baby!!

Heck Pete...you may be kicked out of your house any day any hoot...one way trip baby!!

Pete, I'm sorry but LMAO!

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

:(. :(.

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

That doesnt mean it wasnt funny. :chug:

:dbanana:

I'd love to, but I don't want to be broke down half way there or back... Plus with my wedding, honeymoon cruise, and planning ground up on the jeep all this year, I'm thinking my pockets will be a little light!

And Pete, California is a lot closer than Pa, but it's still a long :censored: drive in a CJ5 that shakes on the highway! lol

One day... SOON... :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

~ Jr

Dave, you know I have to try Poughkeepsie Gulch. I want the dash sticker.

Badass s Pete, that is what we are, Badass s .:D

:madjeep:

Oh man, if I'd have known I could get dash stickers I'd have gone a long time ago.:rolleyes:

That doesnt mean it wasnt funny. :chug:
Sorry Pete :(. But I'm glad you have a good sense of humor!:chug:

Dave, you know I have to try Poughkeepsie Gulch. I want the dash sticker.

I would hate to be the poor soul that had to work in the shop up top giving out stickers!!!:laugh: Congrats on the accomplishments yall have made in your CJ's BTW.:notworthy:

if you make this trip, I will buy you stickers.:D

Oh man, if I'd have known I could get dash stickers I'd have gone a long time ago.:rolleyes:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom