Planning the 9th Annual Colorado Trail Ride

Will you attend the 9th Annual Colorado Trail Ride?

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Planning the 9th Annual Colorado Trail Ride
If we can come, I had planned on arriving Sunday, the 4th. That's what our reservations are for.

And just getting off the phone with hotel, Saturday night is not available.

Well, I may just skip it.

Can't get a reservation that I might need, for a run that has not yet been permitted , for a trip I'm not 100% committed to because of other circumstances.

Carry on and disregard my comments/thoughts on this.

;-)

Not gonna do that - you have good comments and valid thoughts.

Would hate to see you miss this opportunity. There are rooms available in Ouray Saturday. Not cheap but just consider the cost difference as the Backwards fee and smile and drive on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myself and Bill D are booked at the Angler Inn
Cancellation policy: must be cancelled 14 days prior to arrival
13 miles to Telluride

I hate to be a party pooper, but I think we're with Hagar on this. We have a tow vehicle that we would have to figure out where to park, then have to go back to get it after the trail ride, plus this all depends on getting the permit, booking another room, and hoping that the weather cooperates that we don't have to cancel the ride at the last minute due to rain or even snow on Black Bear. It's just not worth all the hassle and added expense to go up Black Bear backwards, maybe. Too bad the permit isn't available mid week, but we know everyone wants to do this, and Sunday is the only day to do it.

We have a room booked in Colorado Springs based on the original plan, and we will still keep it for a while just in case plans change again, but right now, I think that we will just plan on meeting everyone in Ouray on Sunday night.

I'll just have to watch and see how this all plays out.
It would be fun to do, no doubt.

There is a FS campground above town, between Ophir and Telluride.
Might be able to sneak in there on Saturday night prior.

Our reservations are for the week in Ouray.
I won't have a tow vehicle to deal with on the Telluride side of the mountain.
So then another choice has to be made.
Part of the group may have to return for their tow vehicles; the others may just go poke around Silverton or Ouray for the remainder of the day ?

Please don't take my comments negative about the whole idea; it's a great opportunity to do BB backwards. Each time I go down I've always said it would be fun to run it in reverse.

Thanks to those who are trying to make this happen for the group.

My thinking was that with a 5 AM start and then a 7 AM start at the trailhead we should be back to US 550 by about 11 AM.

This was never a scheduled trail day to begin with, so I would think that most would be ready to call it a day, relax, and then the whole group meets that night for dinner before beginning the official trailride days on Monday.

This is also why I think trying to find any accommodation possible in Ouray is best, because it eliminates tow vehicles being parked in Telluride or nearby.

My 2cts.

I'll just have to watch and see how this all plays out.
It would be fun to do, no doubt.

There is a FS campground above town, between Ophir and Telluride.
Might be able to sneak in there on Saturday night prior.

There is a campground right in Telluride. In the past, after going over Black Bear Pass, we've always stopped at the city park that is right next to this campground. There is a fee for camping here but they don't take reservations.
The Campground you mentioned between Ophir and Telluride is at Alta Lakes. It's not a real campground per se but you can set up a tent and camp in the area around Alta Lakes. This is the place I was planning on going to if we had extra time on the Telluride side of the mountains.
Alta-Lakes-Campground-Telluride-1.jpg

Here's the old boarding house on the trail to Alta Lakes. Most of this road is doable in a 2 wheel drive. At the end there it is more 4x4.
24868d1549816045-planning-9th-annual-colorado-trail-ride-boarding-house-alta-lks-medium-.jpg

So yes, camping is an inexpensive alternative to getting a motel near Telluride. I have reservations at The Angler Inn for the night of the 3rd.

Attachments

• Boarding House at Alta Lks (Medium).jpg
    Boarding House at Alta Lks (Medium).jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 103
I hate to be a party pooper.

Please don't take my comments negative about the whole idea.

Not at all guys. This reverse BB run is a hassle for anyone doing it. For some of you it may not be worth it.
:chug:
It would be nice if we could start it at noon, maybe in the middle of the week. But they make the rules. The county already picked the dates. It just happened to be the weekend before our Jeep-CJ trail ride.

No it's not Alta Lakes. Across the highway and before the Alta turnoff.
I'll try and find it and post the name.

We used to camp below Telluride along the South Fork of the San Miguel river, but the FS closed all that off to camping.

Found it.
Sunshine Campground.

I'm hoping someone with an 83" or 81" WB, 10" wide tires will be able to make it up BB without backing up :D. I see one switchback that will be a good challenge.
I'm at 93" but I'm giving it a go.

Not at all guys. This reverse BB run is a hassle for anyone doing it. For some of you it may not be worth it.
:chug:
It would be nice if we could start it at noon, maybe in the middle of the week. But they make the rules. The county already picked the dates. It just happened to be the weekend before our Jeep-CJ trail ride.

Ya, we're going to roll the dice and not book a place to stay right now. My biggest concern in addition to the added cost, is what happens if it rains. Would we still give it a go? We just hate to make the commitment, then at the last minute the whole thing falls apart and we just sit watching the rain come down from an expensive motel room. As I said, we have already booked a place to stay in Colorado Springs for the wrenching/trail ride that we do every time prior to the trail rides, and we intend to keep the booking until the last possible minute. This kind of means trusting the 10 day forecast before we head out to Colorado Springs. If it looks like the area is in a wet weather pattern, but everyone is still saying that the ride is on, we may back out at that time and just hook up with everyone in Ouray Sunday night. If things look like the weather is going to cooperate, we will try to find a place to stay in Ouray and if we can still find one, we will head to Colorado Springs as planned. Like I said, it's a roll of the dice for us. I know that this is something we have all talked about in the past, and if it works out, it will be a great time. We just hope that everyone understands our position and limitations.

I'm hoping someone with an 83" or 81" WB, 10" wide tires will be able to make it up BB without backing up :D. I see one switchback that will be a good challenge.
I'm at 93" but I'm giving it a go.

Just depends on how the county blades it off.
Even I have had to back up a time or two, even though I try to swing wide..if there is such a thing called wide on Black Bear.

I think the issue this time is that we will be backing up to the ledge, instead of inching forward towards it in order to make a three point turn.

Wow ! I'm sitting on the edge of my seat reading the last few days of posts and think dam I wish was going to be there. Sounds exciting. Wish I was going

Just depends on how the county blades it off.
Even I have had to back up a time or two, even though I try to swing wide..if there is such a thing called wide on Black Bear.
When my tires were getting into the springs I had to backup more then I'd like.

Since I pushed out the front tires 2 years ago I only have to backup on 2 switchbacks. Going up, I'll try to cut that down to one backup, thinking it would be easier putting a tire on/over the inside edge of a switchback while climbing.....the things I do to entertain myself. :D

Belizean, come and ride gun I'm sure there will be an open seat. If you come and my cousin doesn't want to climb the wall on Poughkeepsie your welcome to jump behind the wheel and do it.

When my tires were getting into the springs I had to backup more then I'd like.

Since I pushed out the front tires 2 years ago I only have to backup on 2 switchbacks. Going up, I'll try to cut that down to one backup, thinking it would be easier putting a tire on/over the inside edge of a switchback while climbing.....the things I do to entertain myself. :D

Belizean, come and ride gun I'm sure there will be an open seat. If you come and my cousin doesn't want to climb the wall on Poughkeepsie your welcome to jump behind the wheel and do it.

Posi thanks for the offer. Flying into the closest airport would be interesting to try. Where would that be ? My engine is getting closer to being built, but still need to figure out the transmission and update to hydraulic and maybe even update D300 to 4 to 1 . I'm slow as molasses getting this done. Hopefully maybe bringing my 7 next year to join in the fun. Thanks Your offer is more than generous

Montrose is closest, followed by Telluride, Grand Junction and Durango. Albuquerque is a little over five hoursSalt Lake City is 6 1/2 hours, as is Colorado Springs. Denver is 7ish.

Montrose is closest, followed by Telluride, Grand Junction and Durango. Albuquerque is a little over five hoursSalt Lake City is 6 1/2 hours, as is Colorado Springs. Denver is 7ish.

Thanks for the info. 007 how is the Sniper working ? I picked up one for installing on my new engine once installed.

Thanks for the info. 007 how is the Sniper working ? I picked up one for installing on my new engine once installed.

Good for you!

I’ve had pretty good luck with it. I did have a throttle position sensor fail because I got it wet but beyond that no issues. The throttle position sensor has a equivalent that comes off of a Cadillac so it can be picked up at any auto parts store.

Let me know if you have any issues with the install, or any questions. Between myself and Mriplaybass we will get you going.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks