Planning the 9th Annual Colorado Trail Ride

Will you attend the 9th Annual Colorado Trail Ride?

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Planning the 9th Annual Colorado Trail Ride
Just a thought, would have been nice to have everyone together for a run. The idea came to me when I notice the group that runs Black Bear Backwards pull a permit for 15 Jeeps that run together, every year they run it their full.

I suggest contacting San Miguel Country Parks and Open Space they should be able to help with permits or send you in the right direction. I would have already checked that out but my heavy Boston accent would trigger the "not from around here" meter.

https://www.sanmiguelcountyco.gov/293/Trails

We would need at least 7 folks interested to make it worth the effort. I would like to run it backwards, something different, not many can say they have done it.

it would be awesome to run Black Bear backwards. I'll investigate and let everyone know how it goes. If we do get a permit we'll all run one big group, maybe 20 jeeps. The other end will be blocked off. When we want to stop we could all stop right in the middle of the trail knowing we won't be blocking anyone else.

Those permits don't come easy. Every year there has been only one day that Black Bear was run backwards. They've never done that twice in a year.

it would be awesome to run Black Bear backwards. I'll investigate and let everyone know how it goes. If we do get a permit we'll all run one big group, maybe 20 jeeps. The other end will be blocked off. When we want to stop we could all stop right in the middle of the trail knowing we won't be blocking anyone else.

Those permits don't come easy. Every year there has been only one day that Black Bear was run backwards. They've never done that twice in a year.

Its not easy because its the government your dealing with. I can see it going something like this......you call, someone says you need to speak to so and so....they tell you to leave your phone # and so and so will call you back. Well, you stand a better chance of Jennifer Aniston calling you back!

The permit has been issued yearly for many years and I'm guessing that one particular group doesn't have exclusive rights. I believe it takes persistence and the willingness to stay the course for that group to gain a permit each year, likewise with any other groups that wish to run BBB.

To date no other permit has been issued to run BBB for 2019.

If your up to the tasks I'm guessing you will eventually be offered a 3-4 hour permit with some restrictions to run BBB.

Last edited:
Its not easy because its the government your dealing with. I can see it going something like this......you call, someone says you need to speak to so and so....they tell you to leave your phone # and so and so will call you back. Well, you stand a better chance of Jennifer Aniston calling you back!

The permit has been issued yearly for many years and I'm guessing that one particular group doesn't have exclusive rights. I believe it takes persistence and the willingness to stay the course for that group to gain a permit each year, likewise with any other groups that wish to run BBB.

To date no other permit has been issued to run BBB for 2019.

If your up to the tasks I'm guessing you will eventually be offered a 3-4 hour permit with some restrictions to run BBB.

It may just be the permit is for a local group. But it would be worth it to try for sure, if you don't try you will never know. Just like some of the rivers in the west, you have to get a permit to raft. Only a small amount of people on the river each day, and a vast majority go to the guides who take groups

It may just be the permit is for a local group. But it would be worth it to try for sure, if you don't try you will never know. Just like some of the rivers in the west, you have to get a permit to raft. Only a small amount of people on the river each day, and a vast majority go to the guides who take groups
The group that has been granted permits in the past is based out of Montrose, they have members from all over...including me if I want to join (I was told I would fit right in :cool:). Our group is based out of Durango with members from CO and other parts.

Could be a few reasons we may not get a permit, I would hope it wouldn't be for lack of trying.

The group that has been granted permits in the past is based out of Montrose, they have members from all over...including me if I want to join (I was told I would fit right in :cool:). Our group is based out of Durango with members from CO and other parts.

Could be a few reasons we may not get a permit, I would hope it wouldn't be for lack of trying.

I would think the Colorado connection would be a positive to this

Am I to early?
8fcfca1276d92fa0a2976a6e7e2e3e40.jpg
7d51856494f02bbf33c6c6aa6ada4b4f.jpg
a870666af793785be8babb5f8c09d8ff.jpg

Sent from Raton pass using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If it will help with your planning, my school teacher wife is still needing to get started in August. We will be arriving on the 4th and departing on the 7th, maybe 8th. Our DD will probably not wish to be included in the more demanding trails :). Looking forward to seeing you all again!

Lets Run Black Bear Pass backwards!

We'll run Black Bear Pass from Telluride eastward to highway 550 on Sunday August 4th. That's one day earlier than I said the 9th Annual Jeep-CJ trail ride would start.

I did some checking and we can do this. We have lots of stipulations but we can do it.

Here are some of the stipulations and problems with trying to get this accomplished.

1. We have to start in Telluride at 7:00 AM Sunday Aug. 4th. Anyone that is late will not be able to join us over Black Bear Pass.

2. By noon we must be past the top of Black Bear pass where the one way section starts.

3. Since we must leave Telluride so early we will have to stay on that side of the mountains the night before. Motels over there are more expensive.

4. San Miguel County (Telluride County) officials say we must have a sign and a trail monitor (attendant) where Black Bear pass meets Highway 550 and at the top of Black Bear Pass. I was given a name of someone that might be able to help us get such a sign. We will not be the only group doing this so maybe one of the other groups will be able to provide an attendant. The attendant will explain to anyone wanting to go the normal direction that a group will be coming from the other direction.

5. We must get a permit from both San Miguel County and the US Forestry Service. I am working on these permits but they won't be granted until April 30th. Only 4 permits and 50 vehicles are allowed each year. If too many people apply we need to be present at the Board of County Commissioners. I can attend that meeting if necessary.

6. Since our base will be Ouray and we'll have to spend Saturday night west of the mountains,. This will provide some problems. For example where would people park their tow vehicles? These problems can provide us with new opportunities. I think motels would let us park in Ouray if we were staying there the next night. Then we could do another trail ride Saturday from Ouray to Telluride. We could go over Ophir Pass or Imogene Pass. Once on the western side we'd have plenty of time to go on trails over there that we have never been able to. Every time we've ventured over to Telluride we've had a long ride back over Imogene pass to get back to Ouray. Alta Lakes is one of the many trail rides we could do near Telluride before getting a motel over there.

Thanks to Posi for pressing me to investigate this reverse Black Bear run.

Attachments

• Resolution 2018-011 Black Bear.pdf
    511.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
WOW! Well done!

I’m half-asleep, but one thought regarding tow vehicles is that they could be left there in Telluride for the day if arriving the night before and then we could flip around and take Imogene back west to Telluride and then drive the highway back to Ouray. That’s a LONG day but well worth it.

Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could leave at 5 am from Ouray and just caravan via the highway around the mountain to Telluride.
About 1 hour drive.

Could leave at 5 am from Ouray and just caravan via the highway around the mountain to Telluride.

About 1 hour drive.

Agreed. That would work as well.

This sounds fantastic! Lets make it happen. The effort your putting in is much appreciated!

#6 should this be "Saturday night" were staying Telluride for Sunday's trail ride up BB?

The Colorado crew would need to leave on Friday morning to arrive in Ouray Friday night.
We would stay in Ouray Friday night.
Saturday we head to Telluride and stay the night there.
BBB Sunday morning.

That sound correct Dave?

Not apposed to leaving for Telluride on Sunday morning as well.

Last edited:
The crew from Colorado Springs is booked into no-refundable rooms Sunday August 4th. We would need to add another night to arrive on the 3rd.

We would suggest Jim's idea of leaving on Sunday morning if that works.

The crew from Colorado Springs is booked into no-refundable rooms Sunday August 4th. We would need to add another night to arrive on the 3rd.

The more I thought about this, the more I think leaving early Sunday morning is the best way to go.

#6 should this be "Saturday night" were staying Telluride for Sunday's trail ride up BB?
Yes, thanks. I corrected my post. I was thinking of staying in Telluride Saturday night so we could get on Black Bear Pass early Sunday.

So driving from Ouray to Telluride Sunday early morning sounds like what most people are leaning toward. Since I don't have a tow vehicle I may stay near Telluride Saturday night.

Last edited:
If we can come, I had planned on arriving Sunday, the 4th. That's what our reservations are for.
And just getting off the phone with hotel, Saturday night is not available.

Well, I may just skip it.

Can't get a reservation that I might need, for a run that has not yet been permitted , for a trip I'm not 100% committed to because of other circumstances.

Carry on and disregard my comments/thoughts on this.

Another option
We may stay in Montrose on the 3rd less expensive more rooms available.

Don’t forget to check out hotels in Ridgway also.

Most of you are thinking about staying in Ouray and driving to Telluride Sunday morning.

For those of you thinking of staying closer to the start of Black Bear trail. I searched for motels charging less than $150 a night. This is peak tourism time so nothings cheep but I did find 2 motels in Telluride:

Telluride Mountainside Inn for about $147
https://www.telluridelodging.com/mountainside-inn

Manitou Lodge in Telluride for $149
https://www.telluridelodging.com/manitou-lodge

On the highway northwest of Telluride is The Angler Inn for $122
The Angler Inn
This place looks nice. To get something this nice in Telluride you'd have to spend a lot more. This is 15 miles from the Black Bear Trailhead.

I couldn't find anything in Ridgway for less than $150

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks