Planning the 9th Annual Colorado Trail Ride

Will you attend the 9th Annual Colorado Trail Ride?

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Planning the 9th Annual Colorado Trail Ride
One thing I would like to do if the timing is right.
Run Black Bear Backwards.
The last two years they ran it early August, last year August 5th.
Last year the club that pulls the permits to run the fundraising event didn't receive them in time to coordinate the run so they did a club only run.
I know the opportunity to run it is slim because they only have a 15 rig limit but keeping my eyes open just the same.

One thing I would like to do if the timing is right.
Run Black Bear Backwards.
The last two years they ran it early August, last year August 5th.
Last year the club that pulls the permits to run the fundraising event didn't receive them in time to coordinate the run so they did a club only run.
I know the opportunity to run it is slim because they only have a 15 rig limit but keeping my eyes open just the same.

That would be great to run Black Bear Pass the other direction. Much of it is too narrow for passing so they made it one way down to Telluride. I think going up is almost always better, and even safer. Going down you can still screw up and roll. Climbing under power is more fun, challenging and a great sense of accomplishment when you get to the top.

Many maps show the preferred direction in Poughkeepsie Gulch is down. :eek: Going down that wall is surely more dangerous and not as rewarding.

I've never gone the other direction. I wonder if Jeep-CJ.com could get a permit so we could ride it backwards. :rolleyes: We've got quite a crowd this year but it's probably too late to get a permit.

Which chariot are you bringing this year?

Probably the red 1983 again. May have an injected 6.6 this year instead of the wheezy 3.8 postal engine. Time will tell.

Probably the red 1983 again. May have an injected 6.6 this year instead of the wheezy 3.8 postal engine. Time will tell.

Ha! Well that wheezy 3.8 drug my fuel-locked butt a few thousand feet on Imogene Pass last year...

I wonder if Jeep-CJ.com could get a permit so we could ride it backwards. :rolleyes: We've got quite a crowd this year but it's probably too late to get a permit.
It’s not too late. I talked to the person that applies for the permit and he is just now starting the process. Half the battle is getting someone from San Miguel County to call him back, and the restrictions. I was told if the event goes as planned it will be held the first weekend in August.

It may be easier for them to offer Jeep CJ.com a permit during the week. That would be sweet if we can make it happen!

Carolyn and I are booked at the Ouray Chalet, arrive on the 4th. Come on August.

Glad you decided to join us again! Looking forward to it!

Dave

28675107483_0db631e044_c.jpg

I have a friend local to me that will be in CO during our trail run. Steve won't be able to make the entire week but definitely wants to meet up with us.

Steve-O and family

The more the merrier! This is shaping up the be the best Annual Colorado Trail Ride ever!

Jake, my nephew from Nebraska will be joining us this year. He'll probably be driving my CJ much of the time.

I count 14 jeeps so far. Posi's friend may be joining us some days. That would total 15 vehicles.
Here's who I have coming. Please provide corrections and updates.

1. Me and Jake
2. 007
3. MrIPlayBass and OldJeepLady
4. Posi. His friend may be with us some days.
5. Bill D and Carol
6. JR
7. JR's Brother
8. JR's Uncle
9. Shoobie
10. Pistol Dave
11. Hagar
12. Gert
13. WhatRoad
14. MtnBiker4evr13
15. Steve-O

Last edited:
I would add Steve-O as the 15th rig if that doesn't confuse things. I was told he will be there just not the full week.

I've always had a limit of 10 vehicles on each trail ride. Sometimes I've bent that rule. This year we'll be going on the trails earlier in August when there'll be more people in the mountains. It looks like we'll be split up in 2 groups, maybe more depending on attendance. It's still winter and we've got 15 jeeps coming so far.

Although none of these trails are scheduled on specific days we'll surely go on all these trail rides:
Yankee Boy Basin and Governor Basin
Engineer Pass
Black Bear and Imogene passes
Poughkeepsie Gulch
Corkscrew Pass
Imogene to Ophir
Brooklyn Trail and US Basin Road and Clear Lake

Each day participants will select a trail ride. Most of these trail rides will be conducted multiple days.

Ouray is an awesome mountain town. It sits in a box canyon surrounded by huge cliffs and mountains.
24808d1549066655-planning-9th-annual-colorado-trail-ride-day-3-38-ouray-co-medium-.jpg

Attachments

• Day 3-38 Ouray CO (Medium).jpg
    Day 3-38 Ouray CO (Medium).jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Day1-085 (Medium).jpg
    Day1-085 (Medium).jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 109
Thinking out loud....if everyone in the group wanted to run Black Bear, and it being one way, couldn't we all do Black Bear as one group then split on the return trip, half Imogene Pass, half Ophir Pass.....
If there is everyone planning not to run BB disregard that thought.

Any movement on a permit to run BB backwards?

Thinking out loud....if everyone in the group wanted to run Black Bear, and it being one way, couldn't we all do Black Bear as one group then split on the return trip, half Imogene Pass, half Ophir Pass.....
If there is everyone planning not to run BB disregard that thought.

Any movement on a permit to run BB backwards?

If we go over Black Bear Pass as one big group there aren't many places we can stop on the way down. We have trouble finding room to pull over before the steps. At the bottom of the waterfall we try to pull over. Some climb rocks to get off the trail. The bigger the group the harder it is to get out of the way.
24810d1549080439-planning-9th-annual-colorado-trail-ride-369-thur-black-bear-pass.jpg

I did not get anywhere with a permit to run Black Bear Pass backwards. Do you have a contact or suggestion?

Attachments

• 369 Thur - Black Bear Pass.jpg
    369 Thur - Black Bear Pass.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 115
If we go over Black Bear Pass as one big group there aren't many places we can stop on the way down. We have trouble finding room to pull over before the steps. At the bottom of the waterfall we try to pull over. Some climb rocks to get off the trail. The bigger the group the harder it is to get out of the way.

I did not get anywhere with a permit to run Black Bear Pass backwards. Do you have a contact or suggestion?
Just a thought, would have been nice to have everyone together for a run. The idea came to me when I notice the group that runs Black Bear Backwards pull a permit for 15 Jeeps that run together, every year they run it their full.

I suggest contacting San Miguel Country Parks and Open Space they should be able to help with permits or send you in the right direction. I would have already checked that out but my heavy Boston accent would trigger the "not from around here" meter.

https://www.sanmiguelcountyco.gov/293/Trails

We would need at least 7 folks interested to make it worth the effort. I would like to run it backwards, something different, not many can say they have done it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks