Planning the 9th Annual Colorado Trail Ride

Will you attend the 9th Annual Colorado Trail Ride?

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Planning the 9th Annual Colorado Trail Ride
Only 52 days?? Got a lot of work to do... Just ripped every wire out of Uncles Orange CJ - we're putting a painless kit in there, a front ARB with upgraded front axles, & sway bar before the trip.

Then we need to do the normal fluids and bolt checks etc.

Brothers Rubicon has all new body armor & 35" tires, and will have a new lift in time as well... Got to admit, it's looking pretty good for a "new jeep"... At least the headlights are round... :poke:

:laugh:

:chug:

Wow it’s coming up quick, I still have a lot of butt kissing to do on my wife and the front inner axle shafts are the last parts that I know I need to order, I got a new soft top back seat YJ family bar with spreader 4 new seat belts and MORE rear shackles on the way still need alignment and brakes bled to get it inspected and tagged but it is insured already

Sent from the past while window licking waiting on brown Santa using Tapatalk

Schools out for summer and, summer school, what? Many of us remember the if it wern't for bad luck, Woa. The teacher has to attend training for a "New Focus." We apologize, however,but we are unable to attend yet another year.

We can empathize with all those who wish to do this trip but can't for whatever reason. We feel it and live right here. How crazy will it be, the year when there really are "too many jeeps"

In case updated count is coming, we're in with 3 Jeeps and 6 people, maybe a dog... lol

We're there the whole week, but will most likely skip black bear backwards day and have a relax after travel, shake down run, check out the town(s) day instead. We'll touch bases with everyone when we make it in town on Saturday noonish is the plan.

One month from today we'll be starting our 9th Annual Colorado Trail Ride. It's very warm but there a lot of snow to melt. To be honest I don't know if Black Bear Pass will be open. We've had far more snow than most of us remember.
The road from Silverton to Animas Forks ghost town recently opened up. There was a big avalanche blocking the way. Then on Saturday Animas River flooded over the road.
Here's a report of the trails that are open:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/...0000000000000&ttype=detail&cid=fsbdev3_002300

Here's a sad story of a woman that has lost her life trying to cross Pole Creek. Her body has been found since this article has been written.
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/07/01/louisiana-woman-missing-colorado-pole-creek/

Wow... well it is what it is. Perhaps we will be in for some great wildflowers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that couple only lives about 40-50 miles away from where I live and I have not seen or heard anything about that.

Down to the wire huh? Come on warm weather! Melt it (without more flooding) and get er done!

We're coming!

Three weeks from today we leave for Colorado!! Woohoo!

Getting close and I have NO idea how I'm handling this trip... I'm working in West Texas, Jeep is in Reno...:eek:

Not concerned, it will likely work out one way or the other. :confused:

3 weeks to go till we load up to head out there. Need to lock myself in the garage to button everything up!

Looking forward to meeting everyone, hopefully Black Bear will get some accelerated safe melting in time but it will be an awesome trip either way.

There is a couple positives from all this snow, no smoke, no dust. Last year there was a haze of smoke that came from the CA fires.

San Miguel County has 2 bulldozers working in the high country at the same time. They rotate 3-4 operators focused on removing snow. They only have 9 operators and they still have to maintain the lower roads so their spread thin.

Black Bear Pass will not be open anytime in July however, it will be open in August...just don't know when.

As of today the operators are currently opening Engineers Pass and Corkscrew Pass. Yankee Boy Basin and Red Mt Town Loop are open.

b3ca1601f80627e63a72db21e9a4c482.jpg

c2c9999c39c8b1edafc2a1a4f6e13110.jpg

b1687f3916e8180552059ebf21b9e74e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We won't be able to run Black Bear Pass this year in either direction.
A portion of the shelf road has collapsed and there is still a lot of snow on Black Bear pass. The San Miguel County road department says it will be about a month before Black Bear Pass is open. I was told it could be open before that but it's "very unlikely" that it will be open by August 4th.

The San Miguel County road department says it will be a month before Black Bear Pass is open. I was told it could be open before that but it's "very unlikely" that it will be open by August 4th. I will make another call Friday asking for a new estimate for when the trail will be open. They told me that when they have BB open they will contact me to allow our group to go in the reverse direction. I told them our group is coming from Massachusetts to California and many places in between. Being able to do this run in reverse later in the year won't benefit anyone in our group ... but me. :p He laughed and said "then you'll be a group of one going over Black Bear Pass in reverse".

There are still plenty of trails open so this will not affect the 9th Annual Trail Ride as a whole.

Check your motel reservations. On August 3rd I am staying at The Angler Inn and their cancellation policy says I must cancel with at least 14 days notice (this will be Saturday, July 20th). I will wait until I have more definitive information from the county road department before I cancel my reservations. Me and my nephew, Jake, will meet up with many of you August 4th even if Black Bear Pass is still closed. See you then.

Last edited:
Okay bummer.
I'm not gonna change everything again.
Nobody's fault, mother nature happens.
Was a there a designated meeting spot in Telluride for the morning of the 4th ?

We will be in Ouray on the 3rd, since we already cancelled that extra day in Colorado Springs. I think Coldair, and JR's group will be there Saturday too. Too bad about Black Bear Pass. In the pictures Posi posted, Engineer Pass is open, but only on the Silverton side. I believe lower Engineer pass is still closed, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

I believe lower Engineer pass is still closed, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

Yes, lower Engineer Pass is still closed. The avalanches have gone down paths that have not had avalanches for many years. These avalanches have brought down many trees that are over 50 years old. Clearing this snow is far more difficult with large trees being imbedded. I have complete confidence Lower Engineer Pass will be open for us. We'll see these trees and other debris during our trial rides. On a related topic, I know where to get my firewood this year. :D

Was a there a designated meeting spot in Telluride for the morning of the 4th ?

We were to meet at a parking lot on Black Bear pass on the Telluride side where it's still 2 way and 2WD. Just past these mining buildings.

25624d1563232332-planning-9th-annual-colorado-trail-ride-bottom-bb-pass.jpg

Here's a map of the area.
25625d1563232332-planning-9th-annual-colorado-trail-ride-parking-bottom-bb-pass.jpg

This may all be a moot point since it's not likely we'll be doing Black Bear Pass in reverse.

Instead we'll meet at the parking lot for Matterhorn Inn in Ouray on Sunday August 4th. Be early as we'll leave at 9:00 am.
Matterhorn+Inn.jpg

I'll need assistance leading the jeep trail rides. For that job I'd like to thank Posi. Saturday evening the 3rd we'll meet at O'Brien's Pub in Ouray.
entrance.jpg
I am modifying our schedule and will post the update in a day or so.

Attachments

• bottom of BB pass.jpg
    bottom of BB pass.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 63
  • parking at bottom of BB pass.jpg
    parking at bottom of BB pass.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Yes we'll be in Ouray Saturday 8/3 around mid day to early afternoon (unless someone is sleepy that morning... :laugh: )

We were planning to forego the black bear backwards portion personally, but will definitley post up or email when in town to see if anyone wants to do some city exploring (shops and such) in Silverton (didn't spend much time there last time, mostly drove through it) and / or Ouray. Maybe a small trip up Yankee Boy for shake down, etc.

If nothing else, maybe see if that pizza and beer place is still around in Ouray - or the burger brewery... lol

I think most have my cell number already - I'll PM BusaDave too to make sure he still has it, and anyone else who's planning to be there earlier and doesn't have yet PM me and I'll send to you as well.

This is all assuming I'm not found in a ditch somewhere from all the time and money I've been spending with the mistress (jeep) instead of the wife! :)

You'll all get to meet her this year as well.

Here's the list of participants that are coming this year.
I count 16 jeeps.
Are their any deletions or additions I need to make?

1. Me and Jake (1 jeep, 2 people)
2. 007 (1 jeep, 2 people)
3. MrIPlayBass and OldJeepLady (1 jeep, 2 people)
4. Posi. His friend may be with us some days. (1 jeep, 2 people)
5. Bill D and Carol (1 jeep, 2 people)
6. JR (1 jeep, 2 people)
7. JR's Brother (1 jeep, 2 people)
8. JR's Uncle (1 jeep, 2 people)
9. Steve-O
10. Pistol Dave
11. Hagar (1 jeep, 2 people, 1 dog)
12. Gert
13. Gary and Sharron
14. MtnBiker4evr13 (1 jeep, 2 people)
15. Coldair
16. huntnCJfool - are you able to come?

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks