Planning the 9th Annual Colorado Trail Ride

Will you attend the 9th Annual Colorado Trail Ride?

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Planning the 9th Annual Colorado Trail Ride
I have the approved permit in hand to run Black Bear Pass in reverse. Due to a typo on the permit we must drive Black Bear Pass the regular direction but backing up in reverse (just kidding). I have one permit from the county and one from the US Forest Service. I'll bring both signed permits with us on August 4th.

The winter has dumped an ungodly amount of snow in the mountains. I fear it may not all be melted by the time we do our trail ride in August. We'll have plenty of trails to go on but Black Bear Pass is one they may not be open. There are many trails that have well over 100 feet of snow covering them. Black Bear Pass has about 150 feet of snow.

https://durangoherald.com/articles/277510-in-the-aftermath-of-avalanches-digging-out-will-take-time

AR-190519603.jpg

Thanks Dave for the effort.
Now to see if I scramble and find a room for one or two nights prior to our original reservation dates.

Well done Dave! Really appreciated...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Dave for the effort.
Now to see if I scramble and find a room for one or two nights prior to our original reservation dates.

Try The Angler Inn Placerville, CO for the night of Aug. 3rd.
The Angler Inn

Our original plans were to arrive in Ouray on Sunday the 4th.
When I checked with the Quality Inn 2 months ago about the possibility of moving the arrival date to Saturday the 3rd, I was told no.

Just now speaking to Quality Inn I was able to move the arrival date to Friday the 2nd; means I have to pay for 1 additional night Saturday, but the only way I could do the change.

So, if their word is good, and I will check again before we leave, we will be in Ouray Friday Aug 2.

We will depart early bird from Ouray probably 5am and then drive around to meet any and all in Telluride. If there are others in Ouray, we could caravan. Understand the trail ride leaves at 7am ? We will be there.

Dave I'm flat towing the Jeep. I'd have to drive back to get the truck.
Better for me to just stay in Ouray and go from there.

We are staying in Ouray the night of the 3rd, and driving to Telluride in the morning. I know a few others are doing this also, so let's caravan!
Thanks for the effort Dave! How's the engine coming along?

Dave I'm flat towing the Jeep. I'd have to drive back to get the truck.

Better for me to just stay in Ouray and go from there.

Like bass said there’s a few making the trip from Ouray. I’m one of them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, for most of you it makes more sense to stay in Ouray each night and drive to Telluride on the 3rd.

We are staying in Ouray the night of the 3rd, and driving to Telluride in the morning. I know a few others are doing this also, so let's caravan!
Thanks for the effort Dave! How's the engine coming along?

I've been busy but I did get the radiator back from being repaired. I'll start in on the lifter problem this afternoon.

Great! Hope it goes easy. Give me a call if you need any help. Since you are going to have things apart, maybe now's a good time to wash your Jeep? :poke::D

I am attaching the permits. One is from the US Forest Service, the other is from San Miguel County. The permits are considered special construction permits. Whenever you want to block a road or trail you need a construction permit.
The permits say we can't harm the environment, leave trash or discriminate. These are policies we've always adhered to anyway. The Forest Service normally has a fee but since we are non profit and don't charge our participant to ride Black Bear in reverse they waived the fee. San Miguel County has a $50 fee that they did not waive. Earlier I said there was no fees but I was wrong. It was a misunderstanding on my part. I have paid the fee. It's all good.
:chug:

Attachments

• DaveNormanCJJeepsPermit2019 Forest.pdf
    729.9 KB · Views: 10
  • SCP 19-04 - Dave Norman Jeep-C.J.Com Jeep Club - K69.pdf
    743.5 KB · Views: 7
Cool, thanks Dave.
Most certainly will we add some $$ to your pocket to help recover the fee.
Are we responsible for posting a party at the 550 end to help with the closure
of Black Bear or is there some sort of "trail monitor" others will be using ?

Are we responsible for posting a party at the 550 end to help with the closure of Black Bear or is there some sort of "trail monitor" others will be using ?

The Wild Bunch Four Wheel Club from Montrose CO will also be running Black Bear in reverse the same day. I've been communicating with the head of that group. They have a sign to be posted at highway 550. They also have a trail monitor to alert anyone coming from the other direction. The Wild Bunch has been doing this for about 10 years if I remember correctly. They do it as a fund raiser.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to the trip. Got the time off with my job and getting things up to snuff on the tow rig/CJ. Planning to leave the east coast on Friday to be in Colorado in time for the backwards Black Bear run.

Really looking forward to the trip. Got the time off with my job and getting things up to snuff on the tow rig/CJ. Planning to leave the east coast on Friday to be in Colorado in time for the backwards Black Bear run.

Get a room / campsite yet? The camp sites were getting scarce a while back. :chug:

Get a room / campsite yet? The camp sites were getting scarce a while back. :chug:

If nothing else a hammock and 2 trees for a change to go on that trip !

Yes just booked tonight, staying at the Ouray KOA the 3rd-7th and planning some days over in Moab to finish out the week.

Itll be my first time out west with an offroad rig and with baby #2 due in September it'll be a while before I can get out there again so lots of travels packed in a short time period.

Might be ambitious and silly but I've dreamed of wheeling in both places.

Yes just booked tonight, staying at the Ouray KOA the 3rd-7th and planning some days over in Moab to finish out the week.

Itll be my first time out west with an offroad rig and with baby #2 due in September it'll be a while before I can get out there again so lots of travels packed in a short time period.

Cool! You'll have a great time. I'm glad you're coming. :chug:

We'll be there too, Ouray KOA - 3rd through 10th. Couple motorhomes pulling CJ's a a newer jeep with some upgrades. We're also kicking around stopping at Moab on way home for 6-8 hours - we'll see how it goes and talk with the Moab gurus about what trail might be nice in that time allotment for Saturday the 10th.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks