Planning the 9th Annual Colorado Trail Ride

Will you attend the 9th Annual Colorado Trail Ride?

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Planning the 9th Annual Colorado Trail Ride
Small update - we got the test run out of the way last weekend. Somehow, my brother bent a rear axle slightly, so last minute fix upgrade in progress tonight.

I had one of my headers wrapped with the lava rock infused titanium stuff, and the first rock I hit ripped a small hole in the wrap by the collector. May build some little skidplates for protection, and wrap the other header this weekend.

We all got the Baofeng radios, and a programming cable. So we'll be hip to the new style coms on the trail ride!

:chug: Getting excited. One week from today, probably right about this hour of the day, we'll be on the road to Ouray!

Small update - we got the test run out of the way last weekend. Somehow, my brother bent a rear axle slightly, so last minute fix upgrade in progress tonight.

I had one of my headers wrapped with the lava rock infused titanium stuff, and the first rock I hit ripped a small hole in the wrap by the collector. May build some little skidplates for protection, and wrap the other header this weekend.

We all got the Baofeng radios, and a programming cable. So we'll be hip to the new style coms on the trail ride!

:chug: Getting excited. One week from today, probably right about this hour of the day, we'll be on the road to Ouray!

OK-Spill it about the bent axle. :laugh:
LG

OK-Spill it about the bent axle. :laugh:
LG

Honestly no clue?? I really didn't think he did anything crazy enough. We were not overly hard on them, but then again that's by my standards... So rock gardens, step / rock climb obstacle, and a rock creek trail...

We did do a poser shot or two with the front wheels on a smallish bolder... (only about 5 or 6 foot tall) :D

He may have hopped once or twice somewhere in there...

:cool:

I've been having a bit more trouble this year, planning the trail rides for each day. Many trails are blocked by snow. They are clearing quickly.
I have been working with Posi. He has volunteered to help me lead trail rides. For that I am greatly appreciative.

I think we have about 13 jeeps coming. Is that number right? Please update me if your plans have changed.

1. Me and Jake (1 jeep, 2 people)
2. 007
3. MrIPlayBass and OldJeepLady (1 jeep, 2 people)
4. Posi (1 jeep, 2 people)
5. Bill D and Carol (1 jeep, 2 people)
6. JR (1 jeep, 2 people)
7. JR's Brother (1 jeep, 2 people)
8. JR's Uncle (1 jeep, 2 people)
9. Pistol Dave
10. Hagar (1 jeep, 2 people, 1 dog)
11. MtnBiker4evr13 (1 jeep, 2 people)
12. Coldair
13. Bluerocket (Bobby G)

I don't care how many people are in your jeep. I'm more concerned with the number of vehicles. I usually don't like to lead more than 10 jeeps over the trails. It causes blockages when encountering oncoming groups. I am thinking of leading one big group up Engineer Pass trail on Monday.

People often arrive late. I need feedback. Will you be joining us on the trail Monday August 5th?

Also on Friday, do you plan on leaving early? Would you prefer a short trail ride on Friday?

We may offer one short ride and one long ride on Friday.

Last edited:
We will be there on Monday for the trail ride. Actually getting into Ouray on Saturday. And we are staying until the next Saturday so a full day on Friday for us. I believe several folks are leaving mid week. We are leaving for Colorado this coming Monday.

We are arriving Friday Aug 2nd and not leaving till Aug 11.
Will participate in all runs Monday 5th thru Friday 9th.
I can lead if need arises and I know the route(s).
2 years ago it was just I and one other Jeep for the runs we chose that day.

Bill D and Carol will be wheeling a full week leaving Saturday morning, as will I.
Bluerocket, a full week leaving Saturday as well.

Short answer - all 3 jeeps are good for all days M-F any length.

Dave, should I bring my fishing pole? Are we stopping at any lakes again that might be lucky? :D

Longer answer:

My 3 jeep crew will arrive Saturday 8/3 - tune and relax around Ouray - maybe yankee boy short run, maybe meet up with some around town that evening. Then we'll putz around Sunday and trail ride with all Monday through Friday full days etc. Saturday morning 8/10 we're pulling out and maybe hitting Moab for couple hours on way home. We're open for whatever on Friday, and flexible on trails / routes all week. Neither my Aunt or my Wife have seen any of it besides photos, so it's all new to them.

Sunday 8/4 we're probably going to cruise to Silverton on highway 550 (right - I have map but going by memory on number - I know you can't miss it... lol), tourist it for a bit window shopping etc, and head back to Ouray for the same before we meet up with everyone in the evening time. We may highway back, or small trail excursion back. I have the map / trail book and will see what they want to do and check that site you guys linked above for current conditions when planning. If anyone is loose on plans and thinks that sounds fun, PM me for number. We'll be @ the KOA north of Ouray as well all week. PM me for spot numbers. You'll probably find us by the jeeps though :D

Working all weekend to get caught up and get stuff done so I'm breezy and not stressed all week about work. Lot's to do...

:chug:

I can lead if need arises and I know the route(s).
2 years ago it was just I and one other Jeep for the runs we chose that day.

Thanks! That is very much appreciated but I don't think we'll need you. I've been working with Posi. He'll be helping me lead.

Dave, should I bring my fishing pole? Are we stopping at any lakes again that might be lucky? :D

We'll go by some mountain lakes but most of them aren't good for fishing. Some of them freeze all the way to the bottom.
One exception is Clear lake. We plan on going there Thursday and it does have fish.

Oh and Silverton is a cool town with interesting shops. It's a nice place to spend an afternoon.

I haven't listed the specific trail rides until now because of all the snow and avalanches have blocked many trails. They've been melting and bulldozers have been clearing the trails. Some trails still aren't open. For example Imogene pass should be open by Tuesday.

Here's a bulldozer on Imogene Pass. This picture was taken by the road crew for San Miguel County.

25660d1564319356-planning-9th-annual-colorado-trail-ride-bulldozer-imogene.jpg

I usually don't like leading more than 10 jeeps in one group. On Monday we'll try to bend that rule. If we go up Engineer Pass from the highway I think it's very unlikely we'll meet people coming out of the mountains in the morning. As the day goes on if we encounter too much traffic we may split up into two groups.

Here is the tentative schedule.

Monday:
1. Lower Engineer Pass from the highway. Then to Animas Forks Ghost town.

Tuesday Choices (these are the same routes but opposite directions):
1. <Dave> Imogene Pass to Telluride then take the highway to Ophir pass .
2. <Posi> Ophir pass then take the highway to Telluride. Then Imogene Pass back to Ouray.

Wednesday
1. Corkscrew Pass (CR20A or FR886) to Hurricane Pass (CR10) then down California Gulch (CR19) to Animas Forks Ghost town. Time permitting we can then continue over Cinnamon pass.

Thursday
1. <Posi> US basin road becomes Brooklyn Trail but it's all CR825. Then back onto highway 550. Then to get to Clear lake turn off of 550 onto South Mineral Road (CR7 or FR585). Then the road to Clear Lake is FR815.
2. <Dave> Eureka Gulch then Maggie Gulch

Friday
1. <Posi> Corkscrew Pass (CR20A or FR886) Then south to the Gladstone area.
2. <Dave> Yankee Boy Basin (CR26) and Governor basin

Optional trail for Posi on Thursday or Friday - Eureka Gulch and Maggie Gulch and maybe Minnie Gulch if there is time.

Attachments

• Bulldozer on Imogene.jpg
    Bulldozer on Imogene.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 50
The road from Silverton to Animas Forks Ghost town is blocked by a large avalanche. I was hoping we could use Picayune Gulch and Placer Gulch to get to Animas Forks. It doesn't look like that route will be open in time. We still have plenty of trails that are open. We'll still have a great time. :D
25661d1564320263-planning-9th-annual-colorado-trail-ride-placer-picayune-gulches.jpg

The green route is not open. We'll take the yellow route.

Attachments

• Placer picayune gulches.jpg
    Placer picayune gulches.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 43
Because of all the snow I'd like to set an expectation. Many of the out and back trails are partially open. I've been trying to investigate, research and ask around which trails are completely open. The trails are changing quickly due to warm temps.

I have mentioned we'll be going to Maggie and Eureka Gulches and Gladstone trails. These trails are partially open but expected to be fully open soon. How soon? I can't say. We'll be able to head up these trails and we may not make it to the end but there's lots of other trails nearby.

Please think of these as exploration trail rides and don't be disappointed if we are unable to get to the end of the trail. There's plenty of trails to keep us busy for the week and it will be interesting to see the avalanche damage.

Too much snow in August!?! That's one problem most of you don't have to deal with very often but it's an issue this year.

Last edited:
To much snow in August ? Sounds like you guys & gals are going to have a blast trail riding & exploring the area. Wish I was going to be along with the top down and wearing a jacket & gloves instead of sweating in the 90's here. Hopefully I will be along one of these rides in the next couple of years when my ride is ready for high altitude. All , have a GREAT TIME !!!!!!

Please think of these as exploration trail rides and don't be disappointed if we are unable to get to the end of the trail. There's plenty of trails to keep us busy for the week and it will be interesting to see the avalanche damage.

This is one of the main reason why I want to go on this trip. It is to explore. Another is put faces to people that I have talked to but haven't been able to meet for years.

Dave, don't fret.
You put too much pressure on yourself hoping others will enjoy the experience.
We will....count on it.
It's the sign of a good leader making sure that others will have a good time.
Relax....it will be just fine.

Agree as well - we're always up for good trail with good people!

I can find a rock anywhere to climb, :D

Although I understand completely as I'm trying to sort out the best details and plans for Rubicon trip next year to accommodate as many people as possible. It's fun though as it's my first year.

See you all soon

Also, if someone goes a little too far in the snow, I've got a winch :D

I’ve got a wench! (and a winch.)

Do we need to bring chains....ha ha

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks