Planning the 7th Annual Jeep-CJ Trail Ride

Will you make it to the Jeep-CJ.com trail ride in Colorado?

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Planning the 7th Annual Jeep-CJ Trail Ride
I'm almost ready... I still need to grease, top off transmission fluid, and replace a brake line. This was all supposed to get done with the axle install, but I'm getting a little nervous about getting that done - shop is packed. I'll get it all done regardless of the axles.

I "should" have the reveal of the "2017 JEEP-CJ Trail Ride" decal later this week as well.

This year I will NOT forget them...:eek:

I booked 2 extra rooms for the week in Ouray for any late comers. I'll hold the rooms until next week before I cancel them. If your thinking of going now would be the time.

Sunday morning I'll be in Ouray to discuss and answer any questions about the schedule and trail rides. I hope to meet with the trail leaders. Joe says he will help lead Monday and hopefully for the rest of the week. Todd says he'll be there Friday and maybe Wednesday. Todd and Joe are from a local Jeep club and I hope they don't back out.

We may end up with groups bigger than I would like. We may be short on leaders. To make this goes smoothly I hope some members that have participated in recent years will help lead groups over trail rides. I know some people may be hesitant to lead a group on a trail ride. Pick up a map or book or subscribe to AllTrails and use their app on your phone to find the trails we'll be going on.

My number one rule is to be considerate of others on these mountain trails. No littering (this has never been an issue before). Also make sure we have room for others to pass us. This too has never been an issue but it may be a problem with the larger group we now have. If the leader decides to pull over, others need to pull in close behind him without blocking the trail. We may park side by side if there is more room that way as opposed to lining the trail. We may block ourselves in but that's okay since we'll all be leaving together. Just don't block those that are not in our group. The bottom line is we may be parking much more densely if we are a large group.

The issue is some of these trails are narrow. Never stop if someone from the other direction can not pass us. This is even true if we have mechanical problems. If you notice the jeep behind you has stopped use the CB to let them know you will stop but pull over where others can pass you.

Both gates on Poughkeepsie are open, trail is open all the way.

Well I have some good news and some bad news.. Good news is that I have been promoted at work! Bad news is that my work schedule is now changing and we will not be able to attend the 7th Annual ride. Fortunately, there is always next year and I’m already looking forward to the 8th Annual Co. Trail Ride!! Hope yall have a great time and keep us updated!!

Like Posi, we have 2 rooms booked at the Comfort Inn. Please let me know if anyone is looking for a room. If not I'll cancel them later this week or next.

Busa, please remove my CJ and Hoghead from your roll call. Thanks for taking the time and effort to plan this trip!

Congratulations on your promotion!
Look forward to meeting you next year!

Congratulations EveryUserName... We'll see you next year.

So now it looks like we are down to 16 Jeeps and 26 people:

007 (2 people)
MrIPlayBass & OldJeepLady (2 people)
BillD (2 people)
BusaDave9
Posi (2 people)
Shooby
JR74CJ5 (Two jeeps, 4 people)
Coldair
Bobby and Blacky (2 people)
Powdertwoplanker
WhatRoad (2 people)
Hagar (2 people)
DJohnbb62 (2 people)
Benjammin713
PistolDave
We can fit these jeeps into 2 groups that average 8 vehicles.
I'm not sure which trail rides will be cancelled. I may wait to see what is least popular.

Trip 1: Engineer Pass trail starting from highway 550 all the way to the top of Engineer Pass. We've never gone any further than the lookout (also known as OH Point!). We might continue on. Next we will head back to Animas Forks Ghost Town and on to Silverton.
Warning: Lower Engineer Pass Trail (also known as Mineral Creek trail) has some rock crawling.

Trip 2: Corkscrew Pass. Then we will go over Hurricane pass and California Pass then down to Animas Forks Ghost town. From there we'll go up over Cinnamon Pass to American Basin. The group will then head to Silverton and take the highway back to Ouray.

Trip 3: Minnie Gulch and Maggie Gulch. We'll drive to Silverton and head north to Minnie and later to Maggie Gulch.

Trip 4: We'll take the infamous Black Bear Pass (trust me, it's not as bad as its reputation). We'll head into Telluride and come back over Imogene Pass.
Warning: Black Bear pass may be intimidating for those with a fear of heights.

Trip 5: Beartown site. We'll take the highway to Silverton and then go over Stony Pass, cross the Rio Grande River. We will pass by Beartown site and continue to Kite Lake. Then back the way we came.

Trip 6: Poughkeepsie Gulch.
Warning: This is a more difficult trail. You need lockers to take your jeep up "The Wall". If you don't feel you are up to it you can watch the others and then take the bypass.

Trip 7: Brooklyn Trail and Clear Lake. From Red Mountain Pass we'll turn off highway 55 and climb US Basin 4x4 Road. If you thought highway 550 was high we'll be far above 550 looking down at cars that look tiny. US Basin road turns into Brooklyn trail as it descends. We'll get back on 550 for a few miles before we get on gravel and then onto Mineral road and then up the 4x4 trail to Clear Lake.

Trip 8: Velocity Basin. We'll take the highway to Silverton then head NW to the Gladstone Mining complex and we'll use Corkscrew Pass to get back "home" to Ouray.

Trip 9: Ophir Pass. We'll leave Ouray and go over Imogene Pass the opposite direction we go during trip #4. In Telluride we'll get on the highway for a few miles and then go over Ophir Pass.

Monday the choices are trips 1, 2 or 9
Tuesday the choices are trips 3, 4, 5
Wednesday the choices are trips 5, 6, 7
Thursday the choices are trips 7, 8, 1
Friday the choices are trips 6, 3, 9

Dave - still thinking for my 2 jeeps / 4 people, our ideal itinerary is:

M - 1
T - 4
W - 7
T - 8
F - 6

If things change not a big deal. My Majors are 1, 4, and 6 - others are negotiable. The wall, black bear, and Lower engineer pass with the rock crawling are the mains I want to accomplish this trip.

My 2c

:chug:

If things change not a big deal. My Majors are 1, 4, and 6 - others are negotiable. The wall, black bear, and Lower engineer pass with the rock crawling are the mains I want to accomplish this trip.

My 2c

No problem. You and anyone else that wants to go on the Wall, Black Bear and Lower Engineer pass trails will surely get a chance. Every day we go on these rock crawling trails and Black Bear we'll also have a choice of a mild and scenic trail ride too. I think this variety is important as our attendance increases. We have some people that like these challenging trails but we also have people that just want mild scenic trails so they don't bang up their immaculately restored 1963 CJ5. Actually this is an advantage to having a group so big that we split up into at least 2 trail rides. Poughkeepsie Gulch scares away some people if they don't have another choice for the day. And some people wouldn't want to come if every trail ride was simple and easy.

Days off have been approved, we will be arriving Monday evening at the KOA. ride all day Tuesday and Wednesday. YEE HAW! It's on!

That's great ! Looking forward to wheeling with you.

Spoke to Coldair last night - he got a new job (crazy dude climbing windmill towers! :eek: ) anyways, he won't make it this year...

So now it looks like we are down to 15 Jeeps and 25 people:

007 (2 people)
MrIPlayBass & OldJeepLady (1 jeep /2 people)
BillD (2 people)
BusaDave9
Posi (2 people)
Shooby
JR74CJ5 (Two jeeps, 4 people)
Bobby and Blacky (2 people)
Powdertwoplanker
WhatRoad (2 people) (Just trail riding Tuesday and Wednesday right?)
Hagar (2 people)
DJohnbb62 (2 people)
Benjammin713
PistolDave

And I hear you on the trail choices Dave - I like scenic too - those were just the ones I've seen on past trips and / or that match my normal wheeling style most from your descriptions... I wasn't sure if you wanted us to start listing our ideal runs etc. I'm very flexible though so not biggie whatever you plan - coming for the experience and to meet you all.

Last edited:
I'm headed out already! For those of you who are not aware, I'm out Ouray for my family vacation this coming week. I'm leaving the jeep in Colorado, and then coming back out for the Trailride.

Right now we are just west of Salina Kansas.

20517622bd09f326f7ff61ede9c57495.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm headed out already! For those of you who are not aware, I'm out Ouray for my family vacation this coming week. I'm leaving the jeep in Colorado, and then coming back out for the Trailride.

I hope you have a safe trip.

Thank you... skow and steady...

Ha. Evidently it's how we type...

That is one sharp looking CJ! Have a safe and wonderful vacation with your family, and your other family looks forward to seeing you in CS and Ouray!

Have a safe trip! Hope you are able to join us for the CS trail ride before Ouray.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks