Planning the 7th Annual Jeep-CJ Trail Ride

Will you make it to the Jeep-CJ.com trail ride in Colorado?

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Planning the 7th Annual Jeep-CJ Trail Ride
I was kind of hoping to use the color code and rating Posi suggested, good excuse to buy 35's. Hahaha, just kidding.

I think this is my first post on this forum but I just wanted to express my sincere, unadulterated jealousy for all who are going to this event. I followed last years event and am keeping up with the planning for this one as well. I am thrilled the event is growing because growth equals sustainability. Maybe one day I will get to join. Please take lots of pictures and videos because, lets be honest, is there anything better than seeing old keeps out on the trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey friends, I'm curious about a top. It looks like most of the rigs on this trip have either soft or hard tops. My son in law and his dad and I are coming from Texas where it'll generally be 100 plus degrees every day in August. So Colorado temps will be a nice change. So is it cold in the mornings and rain in the afternoons? I have doors and a hard top, just wanted you guys opinion. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Typically it's beautiful in the mornings and as you get around to the mid afternoon it becomes a little dicey regard to rain. I have a soft top, but I usually leave it all rolled up into a Safari top kind of look. I also bring a bikini top as well.

But to answer your question, if you have a soft top, then bring that but if you have no other top than a hardtop then that's what you'll have to bring. I suppose if you wanted to you could buy a bikini top relatively inexpensively and bring that as a Plan B.

Thanks 007, I've been wanting to buy a soft top and I guess just use my full doors. But dang those puppies are high. You're right though, with the soft top there's much more versatility. I'll see after I finish getting this thing on the road, how much money is left. Oh heck, might as well just go ahead and buy it.

Thanks 007, I've been wanting to buy a soft top and I guess just use my full doors. But dang those puppies are high. You're right though, with the soft top there's much more versatility. I'll see after I finish getting this thing on the road, how much money is left. Oh heck, might as well just go ahead and buy it.

Well like has been said...do your best to make sure your brakes and driveline are good. And sometimes even the most prepared get surprised... It's happened to many of us. But after that everything else is gravy.

If you can swing a soft top then do it. I doubt you'll ever need the hard top again... ;-)

I can lend you my softtop if I can ride along :chug: :)

Our group is quickly dwindling down to just 2 CJ's and 3 guys. We were trying to make this a Guys Trip but the guys are dropping like fly's! Anyways, we are thinking about turning this into a family trip but we have one 8 month old issue.. My wife and I have a 8 month old baby and are not so sure that it would be much fun for my wife and the baby.

Other than the hot springs are there any other infant/toddler friendly things to do? I think I read that 007 had his 1 year old on this trip recently. Either way, Hog Head, my dad and I still plan to be there!

Our group is quickly dwindling down to just 2 CJ's and 3 guys. We were trying to make this a Guys Trip but the guys are dropping like fly's! Anyways, we are thinking about turning this into a family trip but we have one 8 month old issue.. My wife and I have a 8 month old baby and are not so sure that it would be much fun for my wife and the baby.

Other than the hot springs are there any other infant/toddler friendly things to do? I think I read that 007 had his 1 year old on this trip recently. Either way, Hog Head, my dad and I still plan to be there!

I did have my one year old there in 2015 yes. I wedged the car seat between the front seats of the CJ and we went out all day long. I believe that day we did Corkscrew, Hurricane and California. Mine slept a majority of the time. Fresh air, vibrations and movement and it's a sleepers oasis.

Beyond that the pool is very nice. Water is hot on one pool and cold on the other. Beyond Jeeping and strolling about town there really isn't much for an eight-month-old to do per se. We stayed at River's Edge and put up a 5' playpen in the grass and she played A LOT in there.

My advice is that as long as everyone knows what they're getting into, bring the wife and child along if they want to come. They may not want to go out on the trails every day but each day will give you good information on what other days might be like.

I did have my one year old there in 2015 yes. I wedged the car seat between the front seats of the CJ and we went out all day long. I believe that day we did Corkscrew, Hurricane and California. Mine slept a majority of the time. Fresh air, vibrations and movement and it's a sleepers oasis.

Beyond that the pool is very nice. Water is hot on one pool and cold on the other. Beyond Jeeping and strolling about town there really isn't much for an eight-month-old to do per se. We stayed at River's Edge and put up a 5' playpen in the grass and she played A LOT in there.

My advice is that as long as everyone knows what they're getting into, bring the wife and child along if they want to come. They may not want to go out on the trails every day but each day will give you good information on what other days might be like.

That is awesome that she did some trail rides with you! Man my son likes sleeping in the car but there is no way he would sleep all day. He might be a little too hyperactive.. I'd like for them to join us on this but I'm thinking we might need to wait a little longer. Thanks for the quick reply!

5 week countdown starts now until I pull out of Sacramento, CA and start heading on this great trip!

We just got done adapting a SM420 in my uncles jeep, and I have to still test out my new ARB lockers, and have lowered my seats finally to stop hitting my head on the roll bars!

The anticipation is growing!

:chug:

You are going to love the ARB lockers.

I need to lower my seat also for the same reason but at my age, hitting my head on the roll bar is what keeps me awake.

Looking forward to meeting you in five weeks.

Bill D

Good on you Jr = 420! I have one sitting on my garage floor waiting to go into my 71.

I'll have 2 days to work on my new to me CJ before I take it on a shake down run the day before we leave for Ouray. I recently found out it has 2 piece shafts open/open so I'll order a 1 piece kit, dump all fluids, inspect bumper to bumper, and make repairs. I'm up to date on my Tetanus shot so I'm good to go for working around this rig.

I did find out it has optional 4.10 gears. :)

Last year I had a 69 that sat for 2 years, we worked on it for 2 days and never had a problem on the trail. Did have a bit of overheating from a bad front pinion seal on the last day driving back to the camp, a little motor oil cured that.

I love mine - have had it in for a while. FInally got my Uncle to pull the trigger on installing his - well that is, he finally found one in budget - then we had all the little adds here and there to deal with.

they definitely make crawling much more enjoyable and less bouncy! lol

I'm planning to arrive in CO Friday afternoon / Saturday morning depending how driving goes. You should be done by then, but I'll get you my number in case you need another hand first before we head down to Ouray.

:chug:

Our group is quickly dwindling down to just 2 CJ's and 3 guys. We were trying to make this a Guys Trip but the guys are dropping like fly's!

I originally had you down for 2 jeeps and 4 people. So is only one person dropping out?

Here's what I have, 18 Jeeps and 31 people:

007 (2 people)
MrIPlayBass & OldJeepLady (2 people)
BillD (2 people)
BusaDave9
Posi (2 people)
Shooby
JR74CJ5 (Two jeeps, 4 people)
Coldair
Bobby and Blacky (2 people)
Powdertwoplanker
WhatRoad (2 people)
Hagar (2 people)
EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN, (2 jeeps, 3 people)
Hog Head (2 people)
DJohnbb62 (2 people)
Benjammin713

I originally had you down for 2 jeeps and 4 people. So is only one person dropping out?

Here's what I have, 18 Jeeps and 31 people:

007 (2 people)
BillD (2 people)
BusaDave9
Posi (2 people)
Shooby
Coldair
Powdertwoplanker
WhatRoad (2 people)
Hagar (2 people)
EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN, (2 jeeps, 3 people)
Hog Head (2 people)
DJohnbb62 (2 people)
Benjammin713

Sorry I was counting Hog Head in my recent post of 2 CJ's & 3 people. Between the 2 of us (Hog Head and I) we recently had a total of 1 jeep and 3 people back out. So as of now its 1 CJ & 2 people for me and 1 CJ and 1 person for Hog Head. Looking forward to meeting everyone in a 5.5 weeks!

Wow, after reading JR74CJ's post about only five weeks to ouray, I couldn't sleep last night thinking about all I need to do before departing. And then I read everyusernameistakens's post saying we had 5.5 weeks left.....and I felt so much better. But still got up early this morning to get started. Looking forward to my first trail ride and meeting a great bunch of jeep folks.

Wow, after reading JR74CJ's post about only five weeks to ouray, I couldn't sleep last night thinking about all I need to do before departing. And then I read everyusernameistakens's post saying we had 5.5 weeks left.....and I felt so much better. But still got up early this morning to get started. Looking forward to my first trail ride and meeting a great bunch of jeep folks.

I think my math was slightly off.. Technically we leave in 5.143 weeks. Either way we will be ready!!

Here's what I have, 17 Jeeps and 28 people:

007 (2 people)
BillD (2 people)
BusaDave9
Posi (2 people)
Shooby
Coldair
Powdertwoplanker
WhatRoad (2 people)
Hagar (2 people)
EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN, (2 people)
Hog Head (1 people)

DJohnbb62 (2 people)
Benjammin713

Fixed it for you... ;)

I think my math was slightly off.. Technically we leave in 5.143 weeks. Either way we will be ready!!

:booze:

I'm towing mine up to the Rubicon Trail area this weekend for a shakedown tow trip... Now I just have to avoid the Rubicon so I don't have a new to-do list before leaving... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Haha to funny, I need to do a shakedown run myself. I have a brand new trailer and only towed my new build job once over to the muffler shop.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks