Planning the 7th Annual Jeep-CJ Trail Ride

Will you make it to the Jeep-CJ.com trail ride in Colorado?

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Planning the 7th Annual Jeep-CJ Trail Ride
Dave, any chance you could get in touch with Ben and John (DJohnbb62)?
Will Kathryn be attending M-F?

Since last year's trail ride Ben has become a co-worker of mine. I see him just about every day. I'll follow up with him and Kathryn who also works with me.
I'll get updates regarding all three by tomorrow by the latest.

Since last year's trail ride Ben has become a co-worker of mine. I see him just about every day. I'll follow up with him and Kathryn who also works with me.
I'll get updates regarding all three by tomorrow by the latest.
Thanks Dave. I received a call from DJohnbb62, unfortunately he won't be able to make this year's trail run. Hopefully he will be able to make it next year.

Well Kathryn and Ben won't be able to make it this year.
Ben says:
have a good trail ride and say hi to the gang for me. I'll see them next year!

Sorry to hear John won't make it. I really wanted to meet him and see his CJ. We will sure miss Ben! Hope they can all make it next year.

I was looking forward to wheeling with Ben again this year, hopefully next year.
Stop by one night to say hi if you can.

Rigs per day,

Monday 9, out - Whatroad, Joe, Todd, Ben, DJohnbb62
Tuesday 10, out - Joe, Todd, Ben, DJohnbb62
Wednesday 14, Ben, DJohnbb62
Thursday 9, out - Whatroad, Todd, PistolDave, Ben, DJohnbb62
Friday 8, out - Bobby Bluerocket, Whatroad, 007, PistolDave, Ben, DJohnbb62

Some suggestions, the only day we would need Joe or Todd to lead a group is Wednesday.
If they decided not to come, or you felt they weren't needed we could run as one group the full week.
Or run one group 4 of the 5 days
Or keep as is.

Last edited:
Bringing the motor home to the house tonight to begin loading and hook up the CJ to be ready!

From my house to Ouray it's 1039 miles - says 16 hours :D

Planning to leave the Sacramento, CA area and head Interstate 80 through sierras, reno (Gamble stop? lol), and depending on time and how it's going, planned rest stop in Pequop Summit - Right around the end of NV.

Then into Salt Lake City Utah and take the 15 south until it splits off @ spanish fork - Hwy 6, turns into 191, then merge onto Interstate 70 East.

Pass the Moab exit (with a small tear shedding) and hit grand Junction, CO

South from there on Hwy 50 - turns into 550, and Ouray Dead ahead...

Anyone who's traveled any of that route, let me know if my planning is flawed...

:chug:

Looks like a little weather will be present - Definitely bringing the top. Now I wish I would have bought a new one! lol Mines a bit tattered...

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Ouray+CO+81427:4:US

I was there last week and like many places, the forecast is good for the next day only. That said there was some rain for sure and then some days there was none. Like anything, just prepare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Kathryn and Ben won't be able to make it this year.
Ben says:
Sorry to hear Ben can't make it this year. Hopefully he will enjoy the trip thread. Good idea Posi :D. Hey Ben! try to join us for dinner one night!

Bringing the motor home to the house tonight to begin loading and hook up the CJ to be ready!

From my house to Ouray it's 1039 miles - says 16 hours :D

Planning to leave the Sacramento, CA area and head Interstate 80 through sierras, reno (Gamble stop? lol), and depending on time and how it's going, planned rest stop in Pequop Summit - Right around the end of NV.

Then into Salt Lake City Utah and take the 15 south until it splits off @ spanish fork - Hwy 6, turns into 191, then merge onto Interstate 70 East.

Pass the Moab exit (with a small tear shedding) and hit grand Junction, CO

South from there on Hwy 50 - turns into 550, and Ouray Dead ahead...

Anyone who's traveled any of that route, let me know if my planning is flawed...

I've been that route and it's a good way to go and will be the least stress/hills/curves.

Planning to leave the Sacramento, CA area and head Interstate 80 through sierras, reno (Gamble stop? lol)

Gamble stop?? We are driving CJ's that we work on all year in the hopes that everything goes right once we hit the trails. How much more of a gamble is there?? :laugh::poke:
See you soon!

Gamble stop?? We are driving CJ's that we work on all year in the hopes that everything goes right once we hit the trails. How much more of a gamble is there?? :laugh::poke:
See you soon!

No kidding. Literally driving antiques over 13,000 mountain passes while we smirk at JK's be-bopping past us over the same rocks that nearly toss us out the side.

Idiots...

;-)

See you soon!

No kidding. Literally driving antiques over 13,000 mountain passes while we smirk at JK's be-bopping past us over the same rocks that nearly toss us out the side.

Idiots...

;-)

:laugh:

Yeah, maybe I can avoid the gamble stop... ;)

Cheers! :chug:

You're drive'n a CJ-Ain't that enough of a 'gamble'? :laugh: :poke:
LG

As Posi was saying we may or may not have enough people to do 2 trail rides every day. I would like to stick to the most popular trails. I'll take suggestions but I think we can do without Velocity basin (trip 8). If we drop any trail rides we'll drop redundant trails that people may go on another day. With that in mind here is what we could do. The trails we skip will be decided when we all arrive.

Here's the trail rides:
Trip 1: Engineer Pass trail starting from highway 550 all the way to the top of Engineer Pass. We've never gone any further than the lookout (also known as OH Point!). We might continue on. Next we will head back to Animas Forks Ghost Town and on to Silverton.
Warning: Lower Engineer Pass Trail (also known as Mineral Creek trail) has some rock crawling.

Trip 2: Corkscrew Pass. Then we will go over Hurricane pass and California Pass then down to Animas Forks Ghost town. From there we'll go up over Cinnamon Pass to American Basin. The group will then head to Silverton and take the highway back to Ouray.

Trip 3: Minnie Gulch and Maggie Gulch. We'll drive to Silverton and head north to Minnie and later to Maggie Gulch.

Trip 4: We'll take the infamous Black Bear Pass (trust me, it's not as bad as its reputation). We'll head into Telluride and come back over Imogene Pass.
Warning: Black Bear pass may be intimidating for those with a fear of heights.

Trip 5: Beartown site. We'll take the highway to Silverton and then go over Stony Pass, cross the Rio Grande River. We will pass by Beartown site and continue to Kite Lake. Then back the way we came.

Trip 6: Poughkeepsie Gulch.
Warning: This is a more difficult trail. You need lockers to take your jeep up "The Wall". If you don't feel you are up to it you can watch the others and then take the bypass.

Trip 7: Brooklyn Trail and Clear Lake. From Red Mountain Pass we'll turn off highway 55 and climb US Basin 4x4 Road. If you thought highway 550 was high we'll be far above 550 looking down at cars that look tiny. US Basin road turns into Brooklyn trail as it descends. We'll get back on 550 for a few miles before we get on gravel and then onto Mineral road and then up the 4x4 trail to Clear Lake.

Trip 8: Velocity Basin. We'll take the highway to Silverton then head NW to the Gladstone Mining complex and we'll use Corkscrew Pass to get back "home" to Ouray.

Trip 9: Ophir Pass. We'll leave Ouray and go over Imogene Pass the opposite direction we go during trip #4. In Telluride we'll get on the highway for a few miles and then go over Ophir Pass.

Monday the choices are trips 1 or 3
Tuesday the choices are trips 4 or 7
Wednesday the choices are trips 5 or 1
Thursday the choices are trips 6 or 2
Friday the choices are trips 3 or 9

I spoke with Dave and we'd like to have everyone who can, meet Sunday evening at the Historic Western Hotel on 7th Avenue (down from the hardware store) at about say 6pm? They have a beautiful bar from the late 1800's and a nice deck area outside if the weather permits. They serve brick oven pizzas and drinks.

This would be a good place to meet / greet / discuss. That said, I need a headcount so I can make a reservation. If the weather is an issue, we need to have a good head count to reserve table space and eat. Otherwise they will want the space for diners if we are outside OR don't eat and just want to talk.

I think given the discussions about number of trails etc., we should all get together and talk, and if we do that we might as well have a pizza and relax.

So please let me know if you plan to be there, how many, and if you would eat at this time as well.

Thanks in advance...

2 possibly if they allow dog on outside patio
otherwise 1, just me

Add one more. I'll be there.

We left yesterday heading to Colorado Springs first. Spent the night at Shoemaker's Truck stop Shell in Lincoln Nebraska. Had a great breakfast here. This place is full of antique trucking memorabilia mostly fuel related. Be sure and visit if you come this way. Too bad we missed Shooby, he will be in later and then on his way too. Some pictures..
6590b197b6f2c631540f5d1e225fc531.jpg
891dfb5ffde1b77b33613ff9c20ac60e.jpg
aac7e75db0f77ddda27bb9a2a211fe2a.jpg
e571ff4d50ea683d7c1ca3509c495885.jpg
b4284a25226c2aa8a460147f3ca89849.jpg
c1cdeec1ed07d39c4f588c69498321e7.jpg
63ce79d421bcedd1e5d288a882ffe47d.jpg
6441b7f49da6c4cae69cc7c1b9761e7f.jpg

And will be at the Western too.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks