Planning the 7th Annual Jeep-CJ Trail Ride

Will you make it to the Jeep-CJ.com trail ride in Colorado?

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Planning the 7th Annual Jeep-CJ Trail Ride
I'm going jeep'n today. I was planning on going over Black Bear Pass but they say it still has too much snow on it and won't open for a few more days. I was planning on coming back over Imagene pass but that too is snow covered and no one has traversed it yet this year.
I would like to go on a trail that we'll be going on next month. Lower Engineer Pass trail (also called Mineral Creek trail) is closed due to a rock slide. I really hope they get that cleared before our trial ride.
So now I'm not sure where I'll go but I'll post a trail report.

As I reported earlier in this thread, the mountains have received much more snow than usual this winter. It takes a long time for 30 feet of snow to melt.

Last edited:
Thanks JR. Actually I think I also missed PistolDave. He told me he was 80% sure he'd make it.
Not that this is an exact list. Some may have to drop out and we might have others join us.

18 Jeeps and 29 people:
007 (2 people)
MrIPlayBass & OldJeepLady (2 people)
BillD (2 people)
BusaDave9
Posi (2 people)
Shooby
JR74CJ5 (Two jeeps, 4 people)
Coldair
Bobby and Blacky (2 people)
Powdertwoplanker
WhatRoad (2 people)
Hagar (2 people)
EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN, (2 people)
Hog Head (1 people)
DJohnbb62 (2 people)
Benjammin713
PistolDave

I've been looking for people that are familiar with the mountain trails near Silverton and Ouray to help lead during the Jeep-CJ trail ride. It's hard to get a commitment but I've asked friends, strangers and members of a local off road club. Today I talked to Joe about helping me lead the trail ride. Joe was able to give me "a firm maybe". I have also been in contact with a couple of other people. I think I should have 2 to help me lead trail rides. Having 2 people helping lead is a lot different than having 2 people help each day. I still may ask for one or 2 participants to help guide trail rides. Either way I'm sure we'll have no problem leading our groups over the mountain trials.

Last edited:
we might have others join us.

May have another friend and his wife coming, I'll know for sure by this weekend. His name is Steve.

"Bobby and Blacky (2 people)"
Also, if you would like to use Bobby's forum name it's Bluerocket, plus 1 person = Blacky. Thanks

So I did stay off the Rubicon, but did do a little shakedown running on some rough dirt / rock trails. Few things on the list for fixing.

1 - The ignition bar on the GM column is acting up - we need to redo that as I had to get after it with some pliers to get it to operate again for the way home...

2 - The passenger inner fender got yanked in by the tire a bit when I flexed it drastically on log and ditch area - I beat it back out with a large pipe wrench on the trail... Going to look at it a bit harder now in the driveway with some simulated flexing on both sides...

3 - Drove it home (2-1/2 to 3 HRS - 1 hour of steep decent on windy road & 1-1/2 to 2 hours of freeway) in 112 degree heat at around 70 MPH (on freeway) without stopping. Got a mile from home and needed to refuel. Got back in it and the throw-out bearing seemed to be making some noise... Not sure if just a bit hot in there or if it's indeed failing... May be doing a clutch and throw-out bearing before the trip now too... It's "growling" when foot on pedal and in our out of gear, and started growling a bit with foot off clutch in N on shifter...

Oh well - that's what shakedown runs are for I suppose! :eek:

Good news is the jeep towed really nicely behind the 33 foot motor home I'll be towing it to Colorado with! Steep climes will take a bit for me, Motor home has ford V10 - not known for their hill climbing abilities anyways... lol

:chug:

JR-As someone who was born and raised in Colorado, I'll say this. Pull'n a hill is not the big deal-Down hill braking, and speed control IS.:notworthy:
FWIW: The LUK clutch kits from NAPA have worked very well for me. ;)
It does sound like your T/O is going out. :eek:
LG

Thanks LG - I like the center-force clutches personally, but appreciate the recommendation either way ;)

Yes, downhill does have me worried as the motor home is pretty large, and gas powered so not very good at the gearing controlling speeds as far as compared to a diesel, but I think I'll be alright - know enough about long declines with too much brakes = fire / no brakes to be safe - Grandfather was a trucker - heard lots of stories, and have driven some pretty large things over pretty large "hills" (when compared to CO mountains lol - sierra NV mountain ranges).

C/F clutches are LUK for our Jeeps ;)
Just downshift and watch your speed. I hope you have a tranny cooler on the RV. If not-GET ONE. :notworthy:
When was the last time you changed the RV's tranny fluid? :confused:
I have a 1-Ton dully PU with a large Lance camper(4K lbs)that I have draged all over the Rockies pull'n my CJ. It's a big block gasser w/automatic, and no issues. I am work'n the tranny shift lever for rpm control.
LG

C/F clutches are LUK for our Jeeps ;)

Centerforce dual friction clutch discs use organic and carbon steel to offer the best of both while minimizing the faults of both. I realize I never specified what style I like - my bad ;)

Summit Racing said:
Centerforce Dual Friction clutches generate up to a 90 percent increase in holding capacity over stock systems. These clutch-and-disc sets are designed for engines producing high horsepower and big torque outputs. Perfect for 4WD vehicles, all Centerforce clutch systems provide smooth engagement and light pedal pressure without compromising high performance.

Of course summit is in the business of selling, so you have to take that with a grain of salt for sure! But I have personally noticed a huge difference in holding power after heavy use on the trails.

Now LUK clutches are great - nothing bad to say about them. The price is certainly better, that's for sure. They have the upgraded pressure plate fingers compared to stock 3 finger design similar to Centerforce and others. The disc is fully organic (at least the only disc I've seen from them for our jeeps), which again isn't really a bad thing as long as it's woven not molded... The heat rating is not as high as the ceramic portion of the dual friction, and the fully ceramic plates are too rough on their mating surfaces.

I like this write up on clutch material differences... Clutch Friction Materials Explained - Organic, Kevlar, Ceramic, etc.

Now I think my throwout bearing may be the only thing I'll have to replace, won't know until I inspect the wear internally though... I'm hoping thing maybe were a bit too hot and ran a bit hard on way home, and maybe there is nothing actually still wrong lol - wishful thinking at it's finest!

Especially since the cetnerforce is almost $500 vs the LUK @ $80 and some change... :eek:

Just downshift and watch your speed. I hope you have a tranny cooler on the RV. If not-GET ONE. :notworthy:
When was the last time you changed the RV's tranny fluid? :confused:
I have a 1-Ton dully PU with a large Lance camper(4K lbs)that I have draged all over the Rockies pull'n my CJ. It's a big block gasser w/automatic, and no issues. I am work'n the tranny shift lever for rpm control.
LG

Yup - all good ;) like I said, I know how, but my RV doesn't like it much - she's a pig! lol

Yes has cooler on tranny, and maintenance is up to date

Starting to get closer to the trip! Need to get my butt in gear! lol

Will there be a meeting place in morning/evening to discuss the daily events ?

Short answer - yes.

As for times and places - BusaDave will advise on that.

Update on my readiness - my throwout bearing is no longer making noise! :confused:

So I'm going to take her to the local OHV park this weekend and see what happens when I push her a bit... Still have to repair the ignition actuator rod to switch connection on column. That will be fun... lol

I'll have note pads with me that people will be able to sign up for the trail ride they would like to go on. The trail leaders will also sign up for the trail they would like to lead. (I'll take what's left over) Everyone should sign up in advance of the trail ride, maybe the night before or better yet sign up early in the week when you arrive in town. People can always change their minds but early sign ups will allow us to plan trails rides and even cancel trail rides that participants are not interested in.
The afternoon or evening before the trail rides I'll meet with the trail leaders and anyone else interested in the details of the next day. I can go over the trails with the leaders. Finding these trails will be easy. We won't need expert navigators as trail leaders. Any participant that would like to lead will get the chance. I also have a couple of local jeepers that will help lead some trail rides. Joe will join us Monday and maybe for the rest of the week. He'll be staying in Silverton.
Todd is another leader that volunteered. He is interested in leading trail ride #9 over Imogene and Ophir passes. I was planning on having that trail ride Friday but I think I'll change that to Monday. If I get Todd to join us earlier in the week I'll have a better chance of convincing him to help us for other days too. ;) I hope to have dinner or drinks with Todd and his wife in the next week so we can talk over these issues.

EDIT: The signup sheets will not only show the leader of each trail ride but also the meeting place before we leave town. The meeting place most likely will be the motel of the leader. The meeting time to leave town will always be 9:00 am unless we have a specific reason to change the time.

Last edited:
Our one day ride looks to be Tuesday the 15th. Arrive late Monday the 14th, ride on Tuesday, back to the Springs on Wednesday. Staying in a cabin at the KOA Monday and Tuesday night reservations confirmed. As with anything in this life, fingers crossed. Wouldn't mind tooling around with Posi on the 9th but weekends are work days for me. Will have to see when next month is actually here.

Wouldn't mind tooling around with Posi on the 9th but weekends are work days for me. Will have to see when next month is actually here.
Good news! We are wheeling Friday (11th) so I'm hoping you can make this event.

Cool beans! fingers crossed. Request for three days off is in and waiting for a reply. If it floats, we will be able to spend Wednesday riding as well. My how time flies, less than a month now. Glad we are sorta local.

74-Even if you think your T/O is GTG. Know'n only to well what an AH 'Murphy' is. :laugh:
I'd buy a spare, and to have it with you in Co. ;)
Best of luck to all on this trip! :chug:
LG

So we planned to head to the local OHV park to test out the stuff we finished / fixed from shakedown run. The park was closed though, so in our infinite wisdom, we decided to just go another hour and a half up to the Rubicon trail and run the loop from Loon Lake to Wentworth springs.

Mechanically, the jeeps ran fine and all is good (for the most part, still little stuff to look at) but my Uncle slammed a rock on his passenger side... Bent and cracked windshield and dented the passenger body pretty good.

Now we need to hunt for new windshield frame and glass. Or try straighten his and just new glass...

OOPS!

:rolleyes:

Tried to straighten a WS frame once-
Went and found a replacement instead.......
LG

Now we need to hunt for new windshield frame and glass. Or try straighten his and just new glass...

:rolleyes:

I recently broke my glass at 10AM. I immediately ordered one from Morris 4x4 b/c it was "in stock" and I assumed that it would ship that day from Florida. WRONG! Shipped 3 or 4 days later from Washington. Call your local glass companies! Mine would have had the glass the next day and would have been $90 less once you figure in the price of the glass + install. Good luck!

Is everyone ready? Have you crawled under your jeep and checked your U-joints?

During my last trail ride my CJ5 was getting starved of fuel when going up hill, accelerating or at higher RPM. My electric fuel pump used to be loud but now was quitter and sounded like it was having trouble. I got in a replacement and also replaced the fuel pump.
Then I cleaned my K&N Air filter and changed the oil.
I also lubed all zerk fittings.
I'm ready now. :D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom