Planning the 7th Annual Jeep-CJ Trail Ride

Will you make it to the Jeep-CJ.com trail ride in Colorado?

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Planning the 7th Annual Jeep-CJ Trail Ride
We are planning on coming, have our rooms booked, just haven't voted…. Logging into the site to vote has been an issue, I can do it, but Curt cannot. Just need to sit down with him and show him what to do. WIN 10 pro, Firefox, we will vote soon.

And is there still some interest in camping out on the trail? We discussed it last couple years. I think 007 even has a site picked out.

And is there still some interest in camping out on the trail? We discussed it last couple years. I think 007 even has a site picked out.

Well that hasn't been discussed much lately. We did find a spot off Corkscrew that would be fine to camp at. It was right about tree line and there were trees near by. We found this by accident getting out of the way of a line of folks heading our way.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d37.9111583!4d-107.6494528

Angel Creek campground is an option for somewhat rustic camping in the mountains. It's just SW of Ouray on Camp Bird road at the bridge (still two wheel drive)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just voted!!
Of course we are in 100%!
Just haven't been on the forum for the past several months. Too much else going on.
We are just about done with the remodel of our master bath, so once that is done, we will be pulling the cover off the CJ, driving, (or maybe pushing :rolleyes:) it into the shop, and commencing this years repairs/modifications.
Can't wait to see everyone again!:chug:

Angel Creek campground is an option for somewhat rustic camping in the mountains. It's just SW of Ouray on Camp Bird road at the bridge (still two wheel drive)

So jealous. Camping on top of it. You guys are killing me.

So jealous. Camping on top of it. You guys are killing me.

As one who spent nearly 25-years with the nations largest camping organization (the United States Army) and as one who already has a bought and paid for room at Comfort Inn, you can go Camp all you want. But as for Carol and me, we will go with option #2.

As one who spent nearly 25-years with the nations largest camping organization (the United States Army) and as one who already has a bought and paid for room at Comfort Inn, you can go Camp all you want. But as for Carol and me, we will go with option #2.

GREAT! :eek: The guy with the most camping knowledge and experience of all of us is staying at the Comfort Inn while we wander aimlessly at 11k feet! :laugh:

TOTALLY KIDDING

So the backstory on this is that Posi, mriplaybass, oldjeeplady & I lightly bounced this around last summer and then perhaps a couple more times over phone calls perhaps. Nothing at all set-in-stone obviously. As stated above, we were on Corkscrew one day and while we had the right-of-way going up, we took an offshoot to let a large group pass us going down. That offshoot has a place where there's a circular trail that I joked on the CB looked like a treeline cul-de-sac and we should camp there next year. You can see this in the link I the post above, then click on satellite. That's where this all came from.

That said, it's not a long trip up to the site and has some trees, etc. If you pass the cul-de-sac it goes on back north and drops 300-400 feet to and abandoned mine. If my research is correct, the cul-de-sac is not private property, but a bit further north is. If some folks wanted to do this one night, get back up there late one afternoon to setup camp, spend the night and then enjoy the sun coming up in the morning at altitude then head down to wash up and get ready for the day.

Just something to ponder, but we'd need to make a decision in advance so that we can plan and pack accordingly. Camping at this altitude presents some risks that camping lower does not and those would need to be accounted for.

Looks like a little lake for fishing near by... probably not much fish, but that never stopped me from throwing my pole in the water before! lol

We could go either way probably.

We're used to mountain camping, but as 007 said, we may need to adjust things a bit, and will need to adjust what we pack as we're planning for RV camping thus far.

:chug:

Uncle and I are excited, we've been looking at our route to drive. Wondering if the flatter and "boring" I-80 route is better for us towing with a 33' RV, or the more advised by RVers Hwy 50 route is better because of the scenery and experience... I haven't towed with this RV before, so not sure if the HWY 50 option is best for us with the steeper grades and windy-er roads... We're definitely into the "old towns" idea though...

We're still kicking it around.

Anyone who may have traveled these routes before, please let me know opinions...

Good for me to get my mind off yesterday's events...

Just so we're on the same page, the camping that I'm referring to is a one night deal...

Understood - meant we were not planning to bring any tents etc with us in the RV.

:chug:

GREAT! :eek: The guy with the most camping knowledge and experience of all of us is staying at the Comfort Inn while we wander aimlessly at 11k feet! :laugh:

TOTALLY KIDDING

So the backstory on this is that Posi, mriplaybass, oldjeeplady & I lightly bounced this around last summer and then perhaps a couple more times over phone calls perhaps. Nothing at all set-in-stone obviously. As stated above, we were on Corkscrew one day and while we had the right-of-way going up, we took an offshoot to let a large group pass us going down. That offshoot has a place where there's a circular trail that I joked on the CB looked like a treeline cul-de-sac and we should camp there next year. You can see this in the link I the post above, then click on satellite. That's where this all came from.

That said, it's not a long trip up to the site and has some trees, etc. If you pass the cul-de-sac it goes on back north and drops 300-400 feet to and abandoned mine. If my research is correct, the cul-de-sac is not private property, but a bit further north is. If some folks wanted to do this one night, get back up there late one afternoon to setup camp, spend the night and then enjoy the sun coming up in the morning at altitude then head down to wash up and get ready for the day.

Just something to ponder, but we'd need to make a decision in advance so that we can plan and pack accordingly. Camping at this altitude presents some risks that camping lower does not and those would need to be accounted for.

Do you have a back-up plan just in case others are occupying the spot when you arrive ? I've tent camped in the rain in Colorado a lot...that's August monsoons for you...not saying I like it but you get used to it.
Where would you go after the first day to camp ?

Do you have a back-up plan just in case others are occupying the spot when you arrive ? I've tent camped in the rain in Colorado a lot...that's August monsoons for you...not saying I like it but you get used to it.
Where would you go after the first day to camp ?

As it stands now, everyone coming has a hotel or a camping spot near town for the week. This would just be an off-shoot night for those interested. The place we looked at does not appear to be used for camping on anywhere near a regular basis, if at all. It's a good bit off the main trail. That said, if it were occupied, we would need to find an alternate spot and I've scouted a few of those as well.

Excellent point nonetheless! :notworthy:

Got rid of the two piece axle and feel the CJ is ready. The problem is time off from work. our daughter is getting married in June so much of my available time will be gone by August. If it is possible, we would like to make it over there for a couple of days of wheeling and then head back to the Springs for work. Carolyn's school year begins in early August so she will have to take a few "sick" days, .... teachers. That's the plan at the moment!

Heck, we would be happy to have you for whatever time you have available. We have to warn you, however, this thing is addictive and before you know it you will find yourself rearranging your vacations, social calendar, etc to plan for the 8th, 9th 10th, etc. Colorado CJ Trail rides.

My camping Reservation in made! Its for Monday (Aug 14) to Sunday Aug 20) at Amphitheater Camp. It's a tent site so I'll be roughing it a little. Now I'm just waiting on the Jeep's new hart to be finished being transplanted in. Should be good to go tomorrow. I post some pictures over the weekend.

Scott (aka powdertwoplanker)

Great! Happy to see more people.

I have a lot of work to do to my jeep plan on going if it's up and running. My built 258 is garbage so a fuel injected 4.0 is going in its place.

I have a lot of work to do to my jeep plan on going if it's up and running. My built 258 is garbage so a fuel injected 4.0 is going in its place.

This year! Yes, this year you'll make it! (or at least that's what I'm hoping)

You were hoping to go during the 3or 4th years.

Last edited:
Man do I want to go more than anything...been 10 years since I took my CJ.

IMG_1029_JPG.jpg

I will be joining you all in a year or two.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks