Planning the 7th Annual Jeep-CJ Trail Ride

Will you make it to the Jeep-CJ.com trail ride in Colorado?

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Planning the 7th Annual Jeep-CJ Trail Ride
I think this is a great lineup. Great plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like rocky and rough! ;)

Sound like the trail ride i've been missing all these years

:chug:

Kite Lake August 1985

Scan_20170204%203_zpssqx7awbp.png

Kite Lake August 1985

Scan_20170204%203_zpssqx7awbp.png

Nice picture Hagar. Two years ago that building collapsed due to heavy snow. On our 5th Jeep-CJ trail ride all we found there was a pile of boards.

I like rocky and rough! ;)

Sound like the trail ride i've been missing all these years

There are 2 types of rocky and rough trails.
The first type is like Lower Engineer Pass trail. I love that trail. It is rocky terrain that you have to slowly crawl over. It's very slow going but that's what jeeping is all about.
21385d1486225871-planning-7th-annual-jeep-cj-trail-ride-day1-002-lower-engineer-pass-trail-small-.jpg

The 2nd type is a flat road that is very rocky. This is the "road" south of Animas Forks Ghost town. Last year I lead the Jeep-CJ trail ride up this "road". I have 36 inch tires aired down to 9 PSI and I flew up this road to the Ghost town. Everyone tried to keep up with me on their small hard tires and had all their fillings shaken loose. I thought the ride was nice but when everyone got out at the ghost town they all had a string of profanities about that f*#?!@ road

I try to keep everyone else in consideration but feel free to yell at me on the CB if i'm going too fast or heading where you don't want to go. :eek:

Attachments

• Day1-002 Lower Engineer Pass Trail (Small).jpg
    Day1-002 Lower Engineer Pass Trail (Small).jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Great lineup Dave!
Flat rocky trail = wash board on studded snow tires. :)
Good to hear we're climbing cork screw this year aposed to going down.
Love the smell of balsam fir at the tree line on cork screw.
I'd enjoy doing Poughkeepsie Sunday and Thursday ( just throwing it out there).

Good to hear we're climbing cork screw this year aposed to going down.
Love the smell of balsam fir at the tree line on cork screw.
I always like going up more so than going down, especially on harder trails. Getting to the top can be a sense of accomplishment. Going down a difficult trail still has hazards and risk of rolling but always seems like less of an accomplishment.
Corkscrew pass is not a very difficult trail but I do like that "shortcut". That really is steep. People can go either way. Then, at the top, I wait at the fork and always find that everyone (much to my surprise) followed me up the steeper path.

I'd enjoy doing Poughkeepsie Sunday and Thursday ( just throwing it out there).
Poughkeepsie Sunday AND Thursday? I'm game but, for the sake of variety I was thinking of something like Yankee Boy Basin, Governor Basin or Kendall Mountain.

I gota say Kendall Mountain is one cool trail! You go right to the top of Kendall Mountain that overlooks Silverton. We've never done it on any Jeep-CJ trail ride. The issue is when you get to the top there is very little room to turn around. You can do it if there are only a couple in your group but I never want to go up there with 4 or more jeeps.
21387d1486256037-planning-7th-annual-jeep-cj-trail-ride-24-cj5-top-kendal-mt-medium-.jpg

Kendal Mountain
21386d1486256037-planning-7th-annual-jeep-cj-trail-ride-20-silverton-anvil-mt-medium-.jpg

Attachments

• 20 Silverton & Anvil Mt (Medium).jpg
    20 Silverton & Anvil Mt (Medium).jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 24 CJ5 at the top of Kendal Mt (Medium).jpg
    24 CJ5 at the top of Kendal Mt (Medium).jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 84
I can take a group to Yankee Boy Sunday afternoon. I like to chill a bit and unpack Sunday morning and get squared away.

I can take a group up there if they want right after lunch. Whatever everyone wants to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gota say Kendall Mountain is one cool trail! You go right to the top of Kendall Mountain that overlooks Silverton. We've never done it on any Jeep-CJ trail ride. The issue is when you get to the top there is very little room to turn around. You can do it if there are only a couple in your group but I never want to go up there with 4 or more jeeps.
Kendall Mountain, is where they do the marathon race to the top and back down? thought that's what you told me.

If we haven't been to the top then I'd like to go. Not sure how long the trail is but if it's a couple hours up maybe we can have lunch at handlebars then head back on 550 to Ouray. Depending on time I'd like to run up to the wall on Poughkeepsie before heading into Ouray. If there isn't enough time that's fine as well.

Kendall Mountain, is where they do the marathon race to the top and back down? thought that's what you told me.

If we haven't been to the top then I'd like to go. Not sure how long the trail is but if it's a couple hours up maybe we can have lunch at handlebars then head back on 550 to Ouray. Depending on time I'd like to run up to the wall on Poughkeepsie before heading into Ouray. If there isn't enough time that's fine as well.

No that was not Kendal Mountain. I was telling you about the Hardrock 100 ultramarathon. It's an insane 100 mile race that goes up and down mountains and valleys. It goes over the top of Handies Peak (among others). That is a 14,000 foot mountain.
21406d1486310711-planning-7th-annual-jeep-cj-trail-ride-hardrock-runner.jpg

This ultramarathon is ultra-insane. They run over the mountains night and day. The winner finishes after about 24 hours. Then after 48 hours they close down the race and bring people off the mountains.
21407d1486310711-planning-7th-annual-jeep-cj-trail-ride-hardrock-climb.jpg

We might be able to do Poughkeepsie gulch or Kendal Mountain. Kendal Mountain doesn't take too long because the trailhead is right at Silverton. On the other hand it takes hours of jeeping up Lower Engineer Pass trail to get to the beginning of Poughkeepsie gulch. That's almost a whole day event.

Attachments

• Hardrock runner.jpg
    Hardrock runner.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Hardrock climb.jpg
    Hardrock climb.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I'm so glad you all are planning this again, I missed last year due to my 4.2 developing a nasty knock, So unfortunately for me I was not going to risk a break down out on the trail. Good news is that I have a new long block getting install this week. (I would have liked to tempted the transplant myself, but with a move and a job change that was just not happening) So off to the shop it went yesterday.

I will be planning on making it this year. I will have a few months to shake out any an all problems, and if lucky get a new EFI kit added.

As of right now I will be coming in on Monday possible Tuesday late afternoon. Will be camping somewhere around town. Thinking the Amphitheater Campground. I will tent camping so it is possible I fine some place off the beaten path. I will have to look into that a little more.

Buffalo Boy is scenic, steep and slow.
Unless already done prior trips.

Buffalo Boy is scenic, steep and slow.
Unless already done prior trips.

That's a great idea. No, we've never actually gone to Buffalo Boy Mine. We've gone right past it but never really took the turn to Buffalo Boy. I tried to find the pictures but I can't remember what year it was. There was some Ford Explorer trying to follow us. :D Actually Curt did a great job even though he claimed to be a novice at the time. We went by the waterfall and then over Stony Pass but never really went to Buffalo Boy.
I think that's a great idea for Friday.

I trust you all 100% for the rides list and destinations!

If I can't make it up something, I've got a winch. If I can, I've got a winch to get you all up :D :poke:

I'm fully prepared that these are not "Rubicon" trails with miles of tough wheeling. and I'm perfectly fine with that!

I think Coldair is going to try to make it too - still current member but not as active anymore... I still chat with him personally though. He's got some things to do, so hoping to light a fire under his rear to get him out there.

So far this year I count about 11 jeeps that will be participating.
Some will also bring friends, family and relatives so I really don't know how many people will show up but that's okay. :chug:
Bill D
BusaDave9
Posi
Shooby
JR74CJ5 (Two jeeps)
Coldair
EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN, (maybe)
hagar (maybe)
powdertwoplanker (maybe)

Bill D
BusaDave9
Posi + 1
Shooby
JR74CJ5 (Two jeeps)
Coldair
hagar (maybe)
powdertwoplanker (maybe)

I'm a +1 as well. Additionally I'm >90% sure mriplaybass/oldjeeplady are coming, so that's another Jeep and a +1. They have been swamped with some work and haven't been online a lot lately but I'm sure they will post soon.

007, +1
Bill D +1
BusaDave9
Posi +1
mriplaybass/oldjeeplady
Shooby
JR74CJ5 (Two jeeps)
Coldair
hagar (maybe)
powdertwoplanker (maybe)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks