Planning the 7th Annual Jeep-CJ Trail Ride

Will you make it to the Jeep-CJ.com trail ride in Colorado?

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Planning the 7th Annual Jeep-CJ Trail Ride

BusaDave9

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.
Once again it's time to start planning for the next Colorado Jeep-CJ trail ride. This will be the 7th year in a row and this year we will be using Ouray as our base.
The Colorado Trail Ride will be from August 14th through the 18th.

During this thread we may decide on specifics or change plans. Those posts may get lost in the middle of the thread so Please check back here to this first post in this thread for any updates.

Where to stay? There are several motels in Ouray. Us "regulars" are staying at Comfort Inn, 191 5th Ave., Ouray CO.
The motels in this tiny town fill up fast. If you are thinking that maybe, just maybe you might be coming I strongly recommend you make reservations NOW. Make your reservations even if you are not sure you will make it. Later if it looks like you wont be able to make it, post here that you will be cancelling your reservations. Maybe someone else would like to take your room. I used to make extra reservations for late comers but I now think it's better for anyone that thinks they just (maybe) might make it to make their own reservations and cancel if they can't come.
The only motel I would not recommend is Rivers Edge Motel. I used to stay there until they screwed us over. When they were overbooked they lied about it and kicked several of us out. I will NEVER stay there again.

As our trail ride grows in membership it's important to keep things organized.

Communication: Cell phones are useless when we leave town. Once we are on the trail we'll use CB radios to communicate. Although they are recommended they are not mandatory. If you do not have a CB stay in the middle of the pack. The lead and the tail end must have a CB. People in the middle should repeat messages so they are heard.
We use CB channel 16. I like to make this know before any trail ride. One year we headed out and became separated because I didn't inform everyone of the CB channel. One member didn't see me pull over and he drove all the way to Silverton looking for me. I didn't meet up with him until the end of the day at Ouray. It's also good to know where the trail head is in case you get separated.

A typical day of trail rides: We eat breakfast at 8 am. Some motels have some sort of breakfast otherwise join us at a restaurant to be decided the night before.
We leave town at 9 am. Make sure your tank is already filled the night before.

Every day seems to be sunny and warm in town. As we climb into the mountains it gets cool. Bring layers and a rain jacket.
We eat lunch on the trail. It's nice to bring a small cooler to carry a sandwich and water. If you don't have a small cooler several members often have a cooler larger than necessary. They are always willing to keep your lunch fresh.
Even though every morning seems to be sunny it always seems to rain most afternoons in late summer in the mountains. This is why we like to leave on the trail ride early.

When we get back to town, everyone wants to unwind but please refuel before nightfall. This helps to make sure we are all ready to leave at the same time in the morning. ;)

The plan for trail rides
Each day we will split into 2 groups to go over 2 separate trails.
I have 9 trail rides planned out. Pick a trail ride for each day in advance, maybe the night before but preferably pick the whole week of trail rides when you arrive in Ouray. You can change your mind.
I will lead one group but I'll need at least 2 volunteers to lead the other groups. Please let me know if you are interested.

Here's the trail rides:
Trip 1: Engineer Pass trail starting from highway 550 all the way to the top of Engineer Pass. We've never gone any further than the lookout (also known as OH Point!). We might continue on. Next we will head back to Animas Forks Ghost Town and on to Silverton.
Warning: Lower Engineer Pass Trail (also known as Mineral Creek trail) has some rock crawling.

Trip 2: Corkscrew Pass. Then we will go over Hurricane pass and California Pass then down to Animas Forks Ghost town. From there we'll go up over Cinnamon Pass to American Basin. The group will then head to Silverton and take the highway back to Ouray.

Trip 3: Minnie Gulch and Maggie Gulch. We'll drive to Silverton and head north to Minnie and later to Maggie Gulch.

Trip 4: We'll take the infamous Black Bear Pass (trust me, it's not as bad as its reputation). We'll head into Telluride and come back over Imogene Pass.
Warning: Black Bear pass may be intimidating for those with a fear of heights.

Trip 5: Beartown site. We'll take the highway to Silverton and then go over Stony Pass, cross the Rio Grande River. We will pass by Beartown site and continue to Kite Lake. Then back the way we came.

Trip 6: Poughkeepsie Gulch.
Warning: This is a more difficult trail. You need lockers to take your jeep up "The Wall". If you don't feel you are up to it you can watch the others and then take the bypass.

Trip 7: Brooklyn Trail and Clear Lake. From Red Mountain Pass we'll turn off highway 55 and climb US Basin 4x4 Road. If you thought highway 550 was high we'll be far above 550 looking down at cars that look tiny. US Basin road turns into Brooklyn trail as it descends. We'll get back on 550 for a few miles before we get on gravel and then onto Mineral road and then up the 4x4 trail to Clear Lake.

Trip 8: Velocity Basin. We'll take the highway to Silverton then head NW to the Gladstone Mining complex and we'll use Corkscrew Pass to get back "home" to Ouray.

Trip 9: Ophir Pass. We'll leave Ouray and go over Imogene Pass the opposite direction we go during trip #4. In Telluride we'll get on the highway for a few miles and then go over Ophir Pass.

Monday the choices are trips 1 or 3
Tuesday the choices are trips 4 or 7
Wednesday the choices are trips 5 or 1
Thursday the choices are trips 6 or 2
Friday the choices are trips 3 or 9

To see what our trail rides are like check out these links to our previous trail rides:
6th Jeep-CJ Trail Ride
5th Jeep-CJ Trail Ride
4th Jeep-CJ Trail Ride
3rd Jeep CJ Trail Ride
2nd Jeep-CJ Trail Ride
1st Jeep-CJ Trail Ride
Also here's some pictures of what to expect:
19578148914_ea4a7a6cdf_z.jpg

20010769118_3ee97bd24f_z.jpg

19576970064_57ea68a94b_z.jpg

28503663533_f89803865b_b.jpg

392DescendingBlackBear.jpg
Black Bear Pass​

1000_foot_drop_at_black_bear.jpg
View from Black Bear Pass​

20011094198_9cfd343bb7_z.jpg

11264d1346703008-2nd-annual-colorado-jeep-cj-com-trail-report-img_0730.jpg
Descending Black Bear Pass​
11355d1347331408-2nd-annual-colorado-jeep-cj-com-trail-report-bb-pass.jpg
Black Bear Pass (yellow is narrow one way)​
TellurideampImogenePass_zpsb03b39ec.jpg
Telluride. Yellow is the way back "home" over Imogene Pass.​
29119834205_7604208beb_b.jpg
Dinner time after the trails​

Last edited:
Having been over most of these trails many times, it will be fun to meet some new folks.
I'm in at 80 %.

In, with room booked.

Also in with room booked. Carol and I are looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Come on August! ! !

I too am in, room booked as well. Can't wait! :chug:

IMG_1486_zpsuticgrsy.jpg
Got my place booked!

Every year I hope to make this but not going to make it again this year. Wifey and I were going to travel this great country of ours in a motorhome with the Jeep in tow and be in Colorado when this happens. I'll be watching this forum and waiting to see pictures when it's over. Have a good time and may the axle gods look favorably on you.

Okay Shooby... I give up... Is this really where your staying? I mean for this trip that would be cool!

I mean, you're the guy who's willing to drive his CJ5 from Nebraska to California for the Rubicon so all bets are off...AND you can certainly rent places like that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have spent the last two hours watching every video from your trip (6th annual). Wow!
I have a lot to fix/add but this is a wonderful goal!
I need a ton more time behind the wheel too.
So it is on my list!

The concierge has assured me that all the amenities are 1st rate.

I have a lot to fix/add but this is a wonderful goal!
I need a ton more time behind the wheel too.

Concentrate on making your jeep reliable (avoid new mods). Make sure the U-Joints, belts and hoses are in good shape. The trails can be done with a stock CJ. If you are a beginner you should still be able to do these trails. We'll spot you wherever necessary. On Friday we may go on a more difficult trail such as Poughkeepsie Gulch if and only if the group agrees on it.
Come along I'm sure you'll have a great time. :D

I agree with Dave. Don't let anything you see in the pics or videos scare you off. If you've done some wheeling at all you'll be fine. And if something comes up you aren't comfortable with there's plenty of others there to spot you or heck even drive for you.

If you have an operational stock CJ with no loose belts or hoses or bolts. You'll be fine.

Give it some thought.

I agree with Dave. Don't let anything you see in the pics or videos scare you off. If you've done some wheeling at all you'll be fine. And if something comes up you aren't comfortable with there's plenty of others there to spot you or heck even drive for you.

If you have an operational stock CJ with no loose belts or hoses or bolts. You'll be fine.

Give it some thought.

If Posi is there yes someone would drive for me- -from the tales about the Tahoe...
I will give it some thought-
I am dealing with a tapping noise in the lower part of the engine right now and as soon as that is resolved (thinking rod bearing) and a few other "loose ends" I will know more what I am up against.
I have started the list...

Well I want to do this trip one of these days also and my jeep is probably trail ready, I only have the 4 banger with carburetor. The carburetor does not do well on steep inclines when stopping. So I'm trying to rectify that with a 258 and fuel injection. So when I get that figured out I will join you all. Until then I will be watching on the sidelines. All the best to those that go and have fun!

Haven't had a Jeep in 30 years. Now I have one again, and I can't come on this nice sounding trail ride. My local 4x4 club hosts a truck show every year, and I have to help run it. It's still a good time, and we donate proceeds to charities, so it's worth it. Have fun guys.

I reserved 2 hotel rooms(possible 2 CJ's) but am at still at 80%. August is a long time off and my work schedule could change by then. My group will be my father in law, my dad and myself.

My FIL's CJ7 is currently in ziplock bags in his garage. Hopefully this will lite a fire under his rear. I might need to start a build thread for my jeep in preparation for this trip!

I think My brother and I are going to come make it this year. We'll tow CJ behind the RV and camp at one of the RV Sites close in town or to the boarders.

Looks like Ouray RV Park, Four J Trailer Court, Amphitheater campground are all nice options... any recommendations Dave and all?

Will see if my Uncle can swing it too - He'd tow his up behind my F350.

If he won't make it, I'll look at the differences in cost between towing with truck and staying in hotel, or towing with RV and staying in Campground... Could also tent it but I'm a California boy so California cold camping is probably a bit different than CO tent camping... lol

Most likely, I'll see you all there. Not sure if we'll formally run the Rubicon this year with everything I have going on too - Next year should be more open to preplan good dates.

Let me check with my boss(s) and see what happens.

:chug:

Wow that would be fantastic! The Ouray park is a pretty nice place. The Amphitheater is iffy depending on the size of your RV I would think, but perhaps not. It is up a bit on the amphitheater side of Ouray and overlooks the town.

You might also check out Four J park in Ouray. It's very conveniently located. That should be a long up and down circle, you can see ii stretches north.

It's on the left here. Amphitheater is on right.

7fe1d3a33c75bf3c2c8688b65ff5b0f0.jpg

Last edited:
yeah those were ones looking at. Pretty big RV but I've gotten her into some tight spaces ;)

I'll keep updated on this and make a decision soon!

as of now, I already wrote the time off on my schedule board this morning... lol

:chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks