Planning the 7th Annual Jeep-CJ Trail Ride

Will you make it to the Jeep-CJ.com trail ride in Colorado?

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Planning the 7th Annual Jeep-CJ Trail Ride
JR, we have stayed at the KOA campground. They have some large pull through sites and water/electric if you want. We got way in the back with our 4 door F350 with our 20 foot trailer. Just another option.

Glad to hear you are trying to make it. This trip is a great time and you will have new forever friends. We would love to meet you in person. :D

we plan to come, have our rooms booked, just need to vote.....

If Posi is there yes someone would drive for me- -from the tales about the Tahoe...
I will give it some thought-
I am dealing with a tapping noise in the lower part of the engine right now and as soon as that is resolved (thinking rod bearing) and a few other "loose ends" I will know more what I am up against.
I have started the list...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others have said, a stock CJ in good shape will do most all the trails. I have lots of wheeling experience from years ago in the mountains of WV. Yes, this is different, but this group will do everything possible to help you navigate the tougher sections of the trail. And some have easier routes, just don't follow Dave (Just kidding...) Whoever is in the lead let's us know what to expect, gotta have a CB though, and the last person gives a heads up on any traffic looking to pass. Several of us have winches. We do these trails as a group. And there are other lady jeepers driving, we had three last year. :D

So I hope you can make it. An experience you will never forget!!! And new forever friends, real friends - the kind that are hard to come by in this day and age.

Most likely, I'll see you all there. :chug:
That'll be great. It'll be good to see you, JR.
Looks like we'll have a good crowd.

It's a good thing our trail ride isn't in July. Normally the higher trails get clear of snow in June. July is usually the busiest time of the year. But this year we have been getting a crazy amount of snow. In November and December we've been getting a lot of rain that has been falling as snow in the mountains. Since then it's been more snow after snow after snow.
21378d1485821603-planning-7th-annual-jeep-cj-trail-ride-san-juan-basin-snow.jpg

The news paper always posts a chart of how much snow is in the mountains above Durango. The black curve is the average snowpack. The red line is the snowpack this year. The line is going off the chart. Will it keep going up? Even if we don't get any more snow (no chance of that) this'll take a long time to melt. It'll probably cause flooding.

Attachments

• San Juan Basin Snow.jpg
    San Juan Basin Snow.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 172
Last edited by a moderator:
California has been pounded with snow and rain too - we needed it for our drought, but still thinking May will be a tough month for wheeling on the rubicon this year...

Great info Dave. Thank you. The nice thing too is that it pushes flower season back and / or stretches it out. We should still be able to see some the week we're there.

So my Uncle and I have taken the time off work, waiting for official approval and approval to use the "family" RV for that weekend.

Then I'll book some sites. Looked at the KOA sites, look good. seems either already partially full for that week or something as only back in spots available. Around $55.00 / night. I seen a few others mentioned above around the town there too, all relatively close. I don't need many amenities (can fill tank with water when getting in town, and fuel for generator / propane for fridge and heater), so will call around to try to get the best deal / site.

Is anyone else planning on a camping type stay vs the hotel stay for this ride? We could coordinate for a "home base" camp. I'll be bringing tools and spare parts along just in case...

Also FYI all - It appears the KOA I looked at rents Jeeps, though not sure what year, model, or conditions of rental. May be all on road only.

Dave,

Is the 13th going to be the first trail ride day or the arrival, meet each other, have a beverage day? Trying to figure out if I should reserve 12th as arrival day or not (probably want a day to relax while tuning the CJ's up for new elevations and hooking up driveshafts etc.) I know Sunday was the first trail day last year, so I'd assume I should plan to pull in early / mid day Saturday and get things ready for Sunday 8/13 start.

Same with 19th - last trail ride day or more of a pack and go day? Seems last year that Friday was a last run day and Saturday a pull out day.

Looking forward to this and meeting you all this time!

:Chug:

Yes they have JK/JKU's for rent as many places do. Seems they all range in the $160-$190 a day range. Usually no Poughkeepsie or Black Bear allowed.

Sunday used to be a meet/greet day but has morphed into a bit of a short trail day as some are still travelling.

I usually get in Saturday night and then chill and decompress Sunday and maybe do a short shakedown run somewhere that morning or afternoon.

That's a good point. If anyone can fly in they could rent a jeep. The rental jeeps can be used on any trail except Black Bear pass and Poughkeepsie Gulch. Another option is to ride with someone.

The official trail rides will be from Monday Aug. 14th through Friday the 18th. Sunday we usually have a few show up early enough to take a short trail ride, maybe into Governor Basin.

I'll shoot for Check in time on Saturday then, so I have a bit to get the CJ trail ready and tuned up a bit at the carb.

I'll post where I'm staying in case any other Saturday "arrivers" want to come by and have a cold one by a fire (depending on regulations and temperature...)

Also, I'll have my back seat in, so can potentially fit another passenger if needed. Maybe 2 depending on if my cousin goes, and if he brings his CJ...

2 to 3 CJ5's coming with me...

:chug:

Awesome. We will be there late afternoon Saturday as well.

I'll be there for a cold one, or a few cold ones with you.

We've got a good sized group. 8 or 9 jeeps If it gets much bigger than that I might want us split up into two groups. Do any of the regulars want to help lead?

I would be more than happy to lead some. No worries.

Thanks. A line of more than ten jeeps gets hard to control and pass on these mountain trails

Confirmed and reserved RV site at the Ouray RV Park and Cabins,

Arrive Saturday 8/12 and leaving Saturday 8/19.

Check in time for me is 1:00PM so will shoot for 1PM arrival...

Closest to the town of Ouray, and good amenities as far as hookups and wifi etc.

Also confirmed just the 2 CJ's including me...

:drool::drool::drool:

This is a well built 3b I found at the Ouray RV park a couple years ago.

I did post 2 pics, you may or may not see them. Last time I posted pics from my photobuck they posted up the following day.

IMG_0963_zps619f310c.png

IMG_0962_zpsa887dc7b.png

I can see them, is this where you stay too Posi?

I had some down time and walked thru the park and spotted the 3b
I'm staying at the comfort inn this time around
But I'm sure I'll be hanging around your campsite a bit. :chug:

Here's my tentative plans:

Sunday: arrival day, we might hang out or we might take a short trip into Yankee Boy Basin.

Monday: We'll take Engineer Pass trail from the highway all the way to the top of Engineer Pass. We've never gone any further than the lookout (also know as OH Point!). We might continue on. If we do we may head back past Animas Forks Ghost Town and on to Silverton. This section is very rough and rocky so if we have the time (depending on how far past Engineer pass we go) we might head behind Animas Forks Ghost Town and over Hurricane Pass and down Cement creek valley to Silverton. Then dinner at Handelbars. :chug:

Tuesday: We'll take the infamous Black Bear Pass (trust me :D it's not as bad as it's reputation). We'll head into Telluride and come back over Imogene Pass.

Wednesday: Corkscrew Pass. From there we may go over Hurricane pass if we haven't already done that pass Monday after Engineer Pass. Other wise we'll go to Velocity Basin.

Thursday: Poughkeepsie gulch. This is a more difficult trail. You need lockers to take your jeep up "The Wall". If you don't feel you are up to it you can watch the others and then take the bypass.

Friday: maybe we'll start in Silverton and then take Stony Pass to Bear Town site and Kite Lake.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks