SlowPocono

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1947 CJ2A
GM 153
T-90
D/S 18
I hope this is the right place to post a request for help like this. If it isn't, kindly suggest a more appropriate forum.

I've never owned a jeep but my intention is to buy one in the Spring. Almost everything I know about old Jeeps is from reading JEEP-CJ.com.

I'd like to have all of your opinions about what will be the best thing for me to get and if there's anything that I should really avoid.

In other words, help me spend my money.:)

To begin with, I like the way the 1955 to '71 CJ5's look, but I haven't ruled out something older.
I'm not interested in power steering or brakes and I don't need something with highway capability but if it I could take it on the big road without getting killed, I wouldn't mind. I will probably never do any real off road work with it either. That's because there aren't any trails that I'm aware of around here just as much as I don't want to abuse and break my toy.

For some reason that I can't explain I like the idea of a steel body instead of a fiberglass tub. The greater the number of shift levers that I can have poking up through the floor the better.

I'm probably going to put less than 4,000 miles on my Jeep in a year so fuel economy isn't a major concern, but I would like opinions about the configurations that would achieve the highest MPG.

Please let me know what your ideas and recommendations are. If you have an opinion that there's something wrong or stupid about my approach, I want to hear that too.

Thanks.:)

Moved this here so you would get more responses. Im trying to tame mine down right now so I'll let a few others go first. :)

In my opinion a fellow like you needs a Samari. The samari looks like a jeep, gets great mileage and is fairly smooth on the road.

Ouch! A Suzuki?
I say since you have an open mind start looking for the cleanest, rustfree Jeep you can find to fit your budjet. You wont lose if its in good shape and not hacked.

Well if you want a vehicle that looks like a Jeep, but don't want to use it like Jeep ........ You are right, I shouldn't have gone there. If a person wants to look like a Jeeper, but isn't serious about it there are thousands of perfectly good Wranglers out there. They are smooth, comfortable and stable on the road. Get big smooth tires, cut the springs to slam it down, maybe a big annoying stareo, lots of chrome, side pipes. To look like a Jeeper a winch is always nice.... oh oh oh big lights on a big light bar on top, those are always cool.

...... lord please forgive me, I've been so very wrong. Jeeps can take on many different rolls for many different people.

Thanks for putting my request where it's getting some attention.
I don't mind the jabs, I know I'm not a hard core off-roader like some of you guys are but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a real Jeep for what it is. I'm not trying to find practicality or comfort. I'm looking forward to the demands of maintaining and operating one of these older examples. As I suggested in my introduction, I may be a poseur, but I don't want my Jeep to be one. I'm eagerly anticipating the driver involvement that's demanded to pilot these collections of mechanisms down the road.
I can't say for certain that I won't become more adventurous as I gain experience.
I'm not afraid of getting involved with a real Jeep, but I'd rather not make the mistake of buying something that's a collection of all the wrong pieces. I'm here, trying to do my homework and I'm genuinely appreciative of the information resources that come with this forum. There's no substitute for well considered opinions of the experienced however, and that's why I'm posting here.

On a motorcycle forum that I post on, there's no problem getting people to express their ideas about what someone else should spend their money on. You guys seem interested too. I'm glad for that.

Maybe I can help you by sharing a Craigslist ad that I can not stop reading.
I look at the pictures and hope that I'll be able to find something like it in the Spring.

1967 CJ 5 Jeep

00c0c_c4W6ZDl0Gf7_600x450.jpg

Am I crazy for considering a Jeep like this one, or do you see it as having merit?

Thanks again. Please don't hold back. I really do want your opinions.

Oh, and another thing...
I've read every post in the You know you own a CJ when... thread and I understand every one of the remarks. I really do, "I get it", and it sounds exactly like what I'm looking to get involved with.

Im not a hardcore wheeler by no means. Gravel and dirt roads, alot of 3 am runs to the truckstop for munchies:D,I would like my jeep to be capable to tackle any task though. The green machine looks great IMO. And you and Hedge could be "green " buddies! The price seems cheap enough. I like the CJ7 for the room but still wish I had a 5 too. These guys on here are great and full of wisdom and CJ info. Other forums consist of trash talking folks and anyways more power to ya on "your" decision. You can't go wrong with a American made piece of history. Certain year models are better in different areas but someone else will need to shame in.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I think that the older rigs are amazing, I have a '66 CJ 6 and I love it. I wanted the project to remind me of time spent in the garage with my dad. I get a ton of looks and compliments when it is on the road, and that is part of the point too. The older rigs have none of the newer modern goodies like being able to get out of a parking stall without making a 5 point turn.
Or stopping it once you get it moving.

They are hard to find parts for and require regular ongoing maintenance. Unless you are into the mechanical side this gets expensive.

I heard you when you said you didn't care about highway speeds or real off road but I think you will be disappointed once you get it. The limitations you might face if you don't have the time and skill or the money to make it do what you want and make it safe will disappoint you.

Then there will be this vehicle sitting in the driveway leaking and taking up space that you have to register and insure and don't get to use very often. Then your wife, girlfriend, or significant other bitching about the space in the garage and the oil on the floor and how you can only drive it during a few months a year in the right weather conditions when it doesn't involve getting on the freeway.

So, I think a nice wrangler with A/C and power steering and drivable in any weather condition is what would work better in the long run. You can still do some of the things you want, make it look super cool with plenty of available aftermarket parts that will bolt right on.

I understand what you are saying, you are being perfectly honest and that is great. I just think that in the long run you will be happier with something newer that looks very similar to the old school look but will be something you can actually use.

Just some thoughts.

Troy Cantrell
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Build thread - '66 CJ 6:
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15075

Well good on yeah for showing thicker skin than some internet cowboys and yes I was mostly pulling your leg. The best part is you stood and faced the storm without complaint. :chug:

I must say, Troyacantrell made some very valid points. The old Jeeps aren't fast, but they get'er done off road. And that's where they are fun to own. Or they car fun if your in a WWII type Jeep club. Those guys get into parades, uniforms and the whole nine yards of reenactments. Also, you can get an over drive for the old Jeeps ....:banana: .... Yep another stick to play with. A jeep isn't fun to have just sitting around.

Any jeep is better than no jeep. It’s not about who has the biggest extreme rock crawling bad boy jeep; there is a lot to be said for mostly stock old iron that’s been well-maintained. Although my current jeep is a 1978 CJ5 the one I had the most fun with over the years was a 1947 CJ2a. It was short, nimble, and I covered many miles of forest service roads in it before the greenies got most of them closed down.

Heres my $.02 for what it worth. Hum a motorcycle forum where you get everything but good answers. That wouldent be Adventure rider would it :rolleyes:
So first thing is be honest with yourself and what your REALLY gonna wanna do with it once you have it. I say this because Ive gone around and around with 4 CJ's and one Wrangler. I despised the wrangler, but after using a 65, then 78 then,two different 83's, one stock, to commute 70 miles a day there was a serious downside to it. I never bought or intended to use them to commute with, but they grow on you and I like crusty old trucks and the like. They have souls unlike a 2014 honda civic or something (no offence if ya drive one) That being said mull over your real intentions and like Mr Cantrell said, a Wrangler may be the best bet for everyday use if that's where things ends up. Ive finally realized CJ isnt a good freeway flyer, at least non of the ones Ive owned. I must say out of all of them the 65 was my favorite. Plain, more less stock, 4 speed,4 banger, 4:27 gears and rear locker,old school type bias ply snow tires and it was unstoppable.
I also have had 4 FJ40ies and built a Samurai. The samurai was great for what it was, seriously. regared T case,lifted and 31's it went well. very short and very small for a person 6'3", also very underpowered. FJ40ies have become so over priced their untouchable.
So..Find a stockish CJ, look for rust,frame cracks,leaks,make sure its all there and take it for a spin. then try a Wrangler like a 98 to 2003 or so. If you go that route PLEASE check the head casting for the dreaded 0331 casting number, the radiator for leaks and spit seams, the dash lights and gauges crappin out, death wobble at anything over 45 mph or so, if its an auto a smoked slipping trans, a leaky rear main seal...get the picture.:cool: If you buy a CJ you will become mechanical out of necessity. The TJ's and the rest..no comment. Again, no offense as they have their place in jeep history.

Last edited:
When shopping make sure you spend as much time on your back looking the underside over as you do the rest, looking for rusted frame and body parts and po modifications. More often than not things po's add on or change are gona be trouble spots that need to be corrected.
I think we had a thread here a while back on what po's are capable of .
Never wear your good clothes when going to look at any Jeep. :)

Id recommend reading everything in here:

- Jeep CJ Comprehensive Database at Jeep-CJ.com

I think that's an excellent recommendation but I want you to know that I studied most of that several times before I began this thread to ask for opinions. From my point of view, I would have considered myself rude to ask for help without first helping myself.

The information in that database section was a big help to me in narrowing down the possibilities and focusing in on the early CJ's.

I appreciate all of the opinions being offered and so far, I think I've benefited by reading them. I am more than a little bit surprised by the number of comments encouraging me to get something other.

I'll keep reading. I'm far from finished with this topic.

Thanks again!

... Certain year models are better in different areas but someone else will need to shame in.

Your entire post has encouraged me but that line is the sort of thing I was hoping to get more of.

I was referring to things such as , wide track axels=stability,44 rearend= I know they came in 86 models,certain manual trannys, etc.,etc. Side note, even though I have never said this aloud, I do see the wranglers cruising around and wish my CJ7 was more road friendly.

I think that the older rigs are amazing, I have a '66 CJ 6 and I love it. I wanted the project to remind me of time spent in the garage with my dad. I get a ton of looks and compliments when it is on the road, and that is part of the point too. The older rigs have none of the newer modern goodies like being able to get out of a parking stall without making a 5 point turn.
Or stopping it once you get it moving.

They are hard to find parts for and require regular ongoing maintenance. Unless you are into the mechanical side this gets expensive.

I heard you when you said you didn't care about highway speeds or real off road but I think you will be disappointed once you get it. The limitations you might face if you don't have the time and skill or the money to make it do what you want and make it safe will disappoint you.

Then there will be this vehicle sitting in the driveway leaking and taking up space that you have to register and insure and don't get to use very often. Then your wife, girlfriend, or significant other bitching about the space in the garage and the oil on the floor and how you can only drive it during a few months a year in the right weather conditions when it doesn't involve getting on the freeway.

So, I think a nice wrangler with A/C and power steering and drivable in any weather condition is what would work better in the long run. You can still do some of the things you want, make it look super cool with plenty of available aftermarket parts that will bolt right on.

I understand what you are saying, you are being perfectly honest and that is great. I just think that in the long run you will be happier with something newer that looks very similar to the old school look but will be something you can actually use.

Just some thoughts.

Troy Cantrell
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Build thread - '66 CJ 6:
1966 CJ 6 build - Jeep-CJ Forums

I think they're amazing too. I do wonder why you suggest that I wouldn't love a '66 the way you do.

"They are hard to find parts for ..."
I'm very troubled by this remark.
I've explored some of the parts resources suggested on the forum and was very encouraged, delighted even, by the seemingly endless supply of replacement and upgrade parts. Is there something I'm missing?

The main reason I'm waiting until Spring to make my move is so that I have time to divest myself of several motorcycles to free up the space to keep and work on my Jeep. This Jeep thing is actually going to save me quite a bit on registration and insurance bills.

I appreciate that you're trying to look out for my well being but I have practical and comfy vehicles. I'd like to add something that's a little more like...
well, like a Jeep.
Is it possible for a Jeep to be too much like a Jeep?
I hadn't considered that.

In any case, thanks for your effort in helping me Troy. Sincerely

Your asking if one model or year is better than the others, and while everybody has an opinion on it who cares. if you buy a CJ its going to EAT your wallet bust your knuckles are make you lose sleep at night but for that time you are using it, its worth it :D. if you don't want to work on it for months before you really can enjoy it than buy a wrangler if that sounds good to you buy a CJ and welcome to the club. :chug:

...the one I had the most fun with over the years was a 1947 CJ2a. It was short, nimble, and I covered many miles of forest service roads ...

... I must say out of all of them the 65 was my favorite. Plain, more less stock, 4 speed,4 banger, 4:27 gears and rear locker,old school type bias ply snow tires and it was unstoppable...

...So..Find a stockish CJ, look for rust,frame cracks,leaks,make sure its all there and take it for a spin. ...

When shopping make sure you spend as much time on your back looking the underside over as you do the rest, looking for rusted frame and body parts and po modifications. More often than not things po's add on or change are gona be trouble spots that need to be corrected.
I think we had a thread here a while back on what po's are capable of .
Never wear your good clothes when going to look at any Jeep. :)

Maybe the suggestions that I try something else are the better advice, but these are the sort of remarks that capture my imagination.

Thanks, Guys.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks