1st Time Jeeper Opinions

1st Time Jeeper Opinions
This is a great thread and if you replace the OP's desire for an pre-72 CJ5 with my desire for a later model CJ7, these are the same questions and tips I'm looking for...

Thanks!

If I have this right, the plate is a stock arrangement. No matter really, I like the simple but effective use of space. There is a large part of my brain that is screaming, "STOP, build the same plate and frame work for your Jeep, then for the third time, make seat brackets." But I think I'll leave that for another year. :)

I'm glad this forum has helped you narrow down your search. I'm an old jeep kind of guy similar to what you mentioned you thought you'd find on this site. For me, my requirements on that front are AMC and older, so anything CJ and older. My preference (as opposed to my requirements) is to have narrow track axles, which means 1981 and older. With narrow tracks, I have yet to find an ATV trail that I can't tackle with my Jeep. My current Jeep is a '79.

I use my Jeep around town and in the woods. I'm not a hardcore wheeler by any means. With that said, I do go places in which 4x4 is an absolute necessity and the list of vehicles that could get me there is a short one. Of course, when I get my baby back to the garage, I meticulously clean it and ensure I haven't broken anything. This is something that I believe you will grow to understand based on your prior comments.

My advice to you is to stick with something as close to original as you can find. Definitely consider more than just the pre-76 models, as the late '70s jeeps can be MUCH more comfortable to drive, while still retaining a very vintage feel. For example, my '79 is easier for me (6'3") to get into and to drive than my brother's '52 M38A1 (military Jeep). I also saw that you were opposed to power steering and power brakes, but I will say that power steering in nice in woods if you plan on doing any sort of trail riding (which is what God intended when he gave us Jeeps).

In sum, the two things to live by are (1) small and (2) original. Jeep - at least through the AMC years - got it right. An out of the box CJ is an excellent machine. Don't mess with any non-Jeep drive trains. In my opinion, the dauntless v6 and the 258 are the best jeep engines out there (A lot of jeep guys don't like those engines because they put 37" tires on and, mysteriously, their Jeeps then feel underpowered; then they put a Chevy 350 into their Jeeps; I don't get it). If you do go older than AMC, the little 4 cylinders are great so long as the Jeep is the size of a golf cart (like the CJ 2A) and has the right gearing (keep in mind this means a comfortable top speed around 50 mph).

Keep up the research and be sure to watch listings daily. The good ones go extremely fast. Good luck!

I love my 80' CJ5. Its the 258 with the T176 tranny and dana 300 transfercase.
I only run 31's on mine and that's all the taller I want. I would love to add the underseat tool box and old style seat brackets and notch my wheel houses back. But right now I just drive it.

I'm glad this forum has helped you narrow down your search. I'm an old jeep kind of guy similar to what you mentioned you thought you'd find on this site. For me, my requirements on that front are AMC and older, so anything CJ and older. My preference (as opposed to my requirements) is to have narrow track axles, which means 1981 and older. With narrow tracks, I have yet to find an ATV trail that I can't tackle with my Jeep. My current Jeep is a '79.

I use my Jeep around town and in the woods. I'm not a hardcore wheeler by any means. With that said, I do go places in which 4x4 is an absolute necessity and the list of vehicles that could get me there is a short one. Of course, when I get my baby back to the garage, I meticulously clean it and ensure I haven't broken anything. This is something that I believe you will grow to understand based on your prior comments.

My advice to you is to stick with something as close to original as you can find. Definitely consider more than just the pre-76 models, as the late '70s jeeps can be MUCH more comfortable to drive, while still retaining a very vintage feel. For example, my '79 is easier for me (6'3") to get into and to drive than my brother's '52 M38A1 (military Jeep). I also saw that you were opposed to power steering and power brakes, but I will say that power steering in nice in woods if you plan on doing any sort of trail riding (which is what God intended when he gave us Jeeps).

In sum, the two things to live by are (1) small and (2) original. Jeep - at least through the AMC years - got it right. An out of the box CJ is an excellent machine. Don't mess with any non-Jeep drive trains. In my opinion, the dauntless v6 and the 258 are the best jeep engines out there (A lot of jeep guys don't like those engines because they put 37" tires on and, mysteriously, their Jeeps then feel underpowered; then they put a Chevy 350 into their Jeeps; I don't get it). If you do go older than AMC, the little 4 cylinders are great so long as the Jeep is the size of a golf cart (like the CJ 2A) and has the right gearing (keep in mind this means a comfortable top speed around 50 mph).

Keep up the research and be sure to watch listings daily. The good ones go extremely fast. Good luck!

With the exception of the narrow track, My personal taste is completely opposite. Mine is not a daily driver nor would it qualify for one. 50mph and it is really topped out.

I love my SBC/SM-420 combo. I am running D44s F&R, disc brakes. So not much left of my oe drivetrain. After a day out, there really is no way to ensure nothing is broken, get out the hammer and torch seriously. My CJ is hacked to bits, but it is ultra reliable and very powerful. It's no "hammers" machine but still lots of family fun.

DSCN0195_zps5c6fe91d.png

_IKV5564_zpse3e47dc9.png

_IKV5515_zps28b25301.png

_IKV5414_zps706db540.png

_IKV5351_zps9e53bae5.png

I think I'm turning into a whimp. That doesn't look like fun to me.

I like scratching around two tracks and old mining or logging roads, going pretty much anyplace that offers decent hunting. Mud offers lots of oppertunity to get stuck or requiring winching. It's soft though so the possibility of dents is reduced signifigantly. But the fun stops when vehicle damage is a deffinate possibility. Rocks are like a Honey Badger, they don't give a Sh..... Well, you know what I mean.

What about a 1952 CJ3a?

I found one for about $6,000 that's been completely "restored" and it seems to be mostly original type equipment except for the wheels and tires which are definitely oversize and a 3" suspension lift.
Oh, and it has a "Chevy 350" for an engine.

What opinions or advice will you give me on this one?

00h0h_kUNmtQ6ZlRw_600x450.jpg

00h0h_kUNmtQ6ZlRw_600x450.jpg

If thats done right its gonna be a sweet little Jeep that will make you grin ear to ear. If not , its a money pit that will swallow you up like a sinkhole. Just a couple things I can think of that would be deal breakers:

1. no drivetrain upgrades besides the 350
2. stock steering
3. stock frame , not boxed

Need alot more pics from all angles on this one

Looks like it could be fun.
I would bet that it will be a sinkhole money wise though.
I would stay away from the big engine conversions.

Looks sweet, agree with pete . need to know about the drivetrain from transfercase to hubs? I know nothing about boxing the frame or whats done with a v8 conversion other than that jeep was never intended to handle the power output of said engine. The other guys can chime in when more details and pics are brought forth. Looks sweet though, well those mirrors are uhmm yeah anyways. Thats all I got.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

What's going on with the top of the drivers side front fender?

I would hope that you get your moneys worth out of it. That is done in the "Trail Reports" page.

What's going on with the top of the drivers side front fender?

That's a very good question, Mr. Hog.

The guy that's advertising it responds to my inquiries about the Jeep by telling me to come and look at it and all my questions will be answered.

That makes it an eight hour drive to find out what the dash looks like and if there's a title and what size the tires are and whether of not I'll need to crawl in the snow to inspect the underside.

I think he might not be the sort that I want any involvement with.

I'm still looking. There are a couple of CJ5's that have caught my eye.

That's a very good question, Mr. Hog.

The guy that's advertising it responds to my inquiries about the Jeep by telling me to come and look at it and all my questions will be answered.

That makes it an eight hour drive to find out what the dash looks like and if there's a title and what size the tires are and whether of not I'll need to crawl in the snow to inspect the underside.

I think he might not be the sort that I want any involvement with.

I'm still looking. There are a couple of CJ5's that have caught my eye.

The trick here is you don't want to drive 8 hours and go home empty handed. that is a big edge for a seller.:D

The trick here is you don't want to drive 8 hours and go home empty handed. that is a big edge for a seller.:D

I hadn't thought of looking at it that way but I'm not much of a gambler.

To me, it seems more likely that he's a jerk that I don't want to do business with.

Now, I'm making plans to look at a CJ5 that has two engines.

First jeep I ever modified was set up similar to this..Mine had a 327,spring over and body lift to clear 38's.Drove it for a long time and never had a minutes trouble with any of the original jeep running gear.Worst things about it to me was the weak brakes and stiff steering.You learn to get rolling a little before turning the steering if at all possible

From my experience, I flew to Tx from Tn and flew back empty handed. Flew to New Jersey and drove back my girlfriends 4runner. We drove 3 hrs one way to buy my gmc and our jeep. Drove 5.5-6 hrs to Ohio to purchase daughters 4runner. Point is, look local…. Nothing, look as far as your willing to travel bothways and possible cone back empty handed. Luckily we have flight passes! :D People usually think "sold" when buyer travels a few hours and knows no one will show up with 3 grand less than their asking. Then again, thats why I dont mind traveling because 95% of the time it's great deal and a great vechicle. Good luck, any seller that won't talk, email, send pictures, documents… .is lying or doesnt wont to sell

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

He doesn't want to put anything in writing. Also, if it has the stock t-90 the 350 will crush it in short time. 6K is a lot for what I see, walk away.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks