Planning the 6th Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ Trail Ride

Will you make it to the Jeep-CJ.com trail ride in Colorado?

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Planning the 6th Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ Trail Ride
Our flight is booked. Arriving in Denver 8/10, 10am

Yeah my thought with that was giving some flexibility to Sunday where one could either skip or do a trail or two or all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the others. Sunday we could go on trails near Silverton such as Clear Lake. Monday we could go on Engineer pass trail. Once you start on that trail you are on it till the end. There is no quick way back to town.

As a matter of fact there are a lot of trails very close to Siverton. I posted a pic yesterday on the top of Kendal Mountain that overlooked Silverton. There's other trails on Kendal mountain. There's also Deer Park, Arrastra Gulch and King Solomon Mountain. All these trails are within CB range of Silverton. We won't go on all of these trails but if someone wants to head back early or other are arriving into town and want to join us it will be easy to meet up with us.
attachment.php

Deer Park
attachment.php

Kendall Mountain Trail
attachment.php

Spirit Gulch
I think we may want to plan on going on a couple of these trails Sunday. How many people will be on the trails with us Sunday? They'll affect what trails we can go on. Some of these trails are small. And I am sure that none of the participants have been on any of these trails except maybe for Clear Lake Trail.

So I think the plan will be to go on a couple of smaller trails near Silverton but I'm not sure what ones yet.

Also let me add that these lesser known trails near Silverton are the reason I think Silverton is a better base camp than Ouray. Ouray may have better known trails such as Imogene but Silverton has more trails and they are less crowded. I love the mountain trails that make me think I am really getting away. :)

Attachments

• Bus in Deer Park.jpg
    Bus in Deer Park.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 271
  • Kendal Mt Trail.jpg
    Kendal Mt Trail.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 281
  • Spirit Gulch.jpg
    Spirit Gulch.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
attachment.php

Velocity Basin

Attachments

• Velocity Basin (Medium).jpg
    Velocity Basin (Medium).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 261
I'm in for wheeling on Sunday! :grinjeep:

OJL, Bass, will you be traveling through Colorado Srings? If so when?
Wheeling Sunday?

OJL, Bass, will you be traveling through Colorado Srings? If so when?
Wheeling Sunday?
We might be. We will definitely be in Silverton Saturday sometime. I was going to call you sometime this weekend to talk about a few things.

Sure thing, I'll be available tomorrow afternoon.

I am gonna make plans to drive my CJ5 from Nebraska if you can tolerate the presence of an inspired novice/amateur...I once attempted to take a Nissan Xterra from Ouray to Telluride via Imogene in October but I decided to turn back when I encountered snow drifts at what I think was the halfway point. And then there was the time in 1966 when Dad took the family on a hair raising adventure in Willys Wagon, probably the same route...so I guess I have had a little experience...anyway, I've been working on this Jeep for 2 years and I think it will make it. The mountain ranges in Nebraska leave much to be desired...I'd love to join you, I'm gonna vote 80% sure!

Awesome! We have a small group of three that are going to head from Colorado Springs to the Ouray and Silverton area on Saturday if you want to meet up.

Still pretty much of an amateur myself, but this is the greatest bunch of people to wheel with, and you will have a great time!:D Looking forward to meeting you!

I am committing. I am coming. I am looking forward to meeting you all and I think the Colorado Springs meet up might work for me.

Like Bass said, great group of folks to wheel with, good to hear your coming.

Just came back from that area. Beautiful!

Attachments

• DSC_8296.jpg
    DSC_8296.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC_8339.jpg
    DSC_8339.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 140
Does everyone have a CB radio? It's not mandatory but it's nice on the trail for communication. We'll use cell phones in town to organize when we'll head out, where we'll eat dinner and other things. If your coming let me know you phone number.

Here's the list of people I know will be attending:
007, OldJeepLady, MrIPlayBass, Posi, BillD, PistolDave, powdertwoplanker, Shooby, Ben, Don (Don and Ben are non-member friends)

Did I miss anyone?

This will be a good sized group. I think it will be manageable. I can lead a group of 10 jeeps over the mountains. Any more than 10 jeeps and it becomes an issue. When I've been on the trails and meet a group of more than 10 it takes some work finding room to pass. I am thinking that next year I will need a volunteer member to help lead the group. We'll have to split into 2 groups when we have 12 in a group. But, as I said, I think I can manage this years group.

I used one of 007 hand held CBs last year, he has offered it again this year as well. Thanks.

Training began this morning for the 6th Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ Trail Ride. Ran a couple miles before work, with camping/wheeling this weekend. :)

Going from100ft sea level to 8,000ft-13,000ft causes some issues for the first couple days.

Last year an 85 year old lady blew by me walking up a steep grade in Ouray. :doh:

Training began this morning for the 6th Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ Trail Ride. Ran a couple miles before work, with camping/wheeling this weekend. :)

Going from100ft sea level to 8,000ft-13,000ft causes some issues for the first couple days.

Last year an 85 year old lady blew by me walking up a steep grade in Ouray. :doh:
That's what I need to do. I did notice last year that the grass was growing faster than I was able to walk up the inclines! :rolleyes:
Just in case Posi, run a few extra miles for me. :D

Wow. I couldn't run a couple miles total between now and the trip.

Yea, and you were driving a little yellow Jeep when she blew past you. :p

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks