Planning the 6th Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ Trail Ride

Will you make it to the Jeep-CJ.com trail ride in Colorado?

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Planning the 6th Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ Trail Ride
I voted 80%, I am pretty sure I can make it.

My jeep has a new carb setup on it (Quadrajet) and it has performed pretty well here at 3400', but I have no idea how it will work at altitude. I have a weekend trip in a few weeks to Red River NM where I will find out I suppose. If it doesn't work out, I might have time to cobble a TBI system onto my rig before August. Nothing like making major mods to your jeep right before a trip right?:)

My jeep has a new carb setup on it (Quadrajet) and it has performed pretty well here at 3400', but I have no idea how it will work at altitude. I have a weekend trip in a few weeks to Red River NM where I will find out I suppose. If it doesn't work out, I might have time to cobble a TBI system onto my rig before August. Nothing like making major mods to your jeep right before a trip right?:)

That should be a pretty decent test. Looks like Red River is over 8600 feet, not sure how high you'll get on the trails but even at 10k you'll know what you need to know. Our trip will start out at a little over 9300 in Silverton (7800 if you stay in Ouray) and we top out around 12,500 thereabouts. I'd say if your good in Red River area, you'll be fine in August.

Good luck, have fun, be safe and post pics when you return! :D

I think you'll be just fine. When I first bought my CJ the carb was set up for sea level and it ran fine in the mountains.

I've been asked to move the Trail Rides up a day. This will avoid conflicts and will be easier for some participants. I hope it doesn't cause any problems.

Here's the updated itinerary:
Saturday Aug. 13th - Travel Day. No trail rides this day but we plan on meeting at Handlebar's restaurant for dinner and drinks. We'll be discussing the plans for the trail ride.

Sunday Aug. 14th. - Animas Forks Ghost Town then to Engineer Pass and out Highway 550

Monday Aug. 15th. - Clear Lake, Brooklyn Trail and US Basin

Tuesday Aug. 16th. - Black Bear Pass then coming back over Imogene pass to Ouray. Then we'll take highway 550 back to Silverton.

Wednesday Aug. 17th. - Picayune Gulch, Placer Gulch, Cinnamon Pass and American Basin.

Thursday Aug. 18th. - No plans. We never plan out the last day until the participants discuss what they would like to do. We may be doing Poughkeepsie Gulch this day but only if everyone is up to it. This would be the only trail that you need lockers. Well, either lockers or you have to be Posi. He's the only one I've ever heard of that has made it up The Wall with open differentials. If no one wants to try Poughkeepsie Gulch we can try something more mild, more scenic or whatever.

Friday Aug. 19th. - To be decided. Jeep to the top of Kendal Mountain? This may not work out with a large group. It's hard to turn around up there.

Who's coming?
Here's my list:
007, OldJeepLady, MrIPlayBass, Posi, BillD, Ben, powdertwoplanker, PistolDave and me. plus one other friend that is not a member of Jeep-CJ.com
Is there anyone else? I need everyone's email and phone number that are coming. Please PM me if I don't already have that info.

Last edited:
Okay!
Got my reservations changed at the Canyonview. We will be staying there the nights of August 13 through August 18.
Looking forward to seeing the group. Carol and I will probably be coming in from Colorado Springs with Posi and Rad and possibly 007. Gonna have ourselves a convoy.

We are working on getting our reservations changed… hope this works out. We'll let you all know.

Okay!
Got my reservations changed at the Canyonview. We will be staying there the nights of August 13 through August 18.
Looking forward to seeing the group. Carol and I will probably be coming in from Colorado Springs with Posi and Rad and possibly 007. Gonna have ourselves a convoy.
Canyonview? Is everyone staying in Ouray? It's a 45 minute drive to Silverton, seriously. I guess I won't be using Silverton as the base any more. I also think I will schedule trail rides from Sunday to Thursday.

Last edited:
Canyonview? Is everyone staying in Ouray? It's a 45 minute drive to Silverton, seriously. I guess I won't be using Silverton as the base any more. I also think I will schedule trail rides from Sunday to Thursday.

Canyon view Motel is in Silverton
I'm booked there as well.

Oh yes, the Box Canyon Motel is in Ouray and the Canyon View is in Silverton. :eek:
I think maybe 007 is the only one staying in Ouray.

This is going to be fun. Just follow me
attachment.php

Attachments

• its_a_jeep_thing_you_wouldnt_unders.gif
    its_a_jeep_thing_you_wouldnt_unders.gif
    520.8 KB · Views: 220
It's going to be a great time! woohoo.png

Your correct on 007.

..... I also think I will schedule trail rides from Sunday to Thursday.
We were able to reserve an extra day, but will still be staying the whole week through Friday as originally planned.

I will say that I much prefer the original schedule. We had hoped one of our sons could join us - no way now. This makes it a lot more difficult for anyone driving a long distance to come to future rides if they have to take extra vacation. Since my husband has retired, we can make this change and still make the ride. But others might not be able if there are future rides starting on Sunday. Just something to consider. Or not...your choice. Thanks so much for leading these rides. We really appreciate it. :D :ty:

We were able to reserve an extra day, but will still be staying the whole week through Friday as originally planned.

I will say that I much prefer the original schedule. We had hoped one of our sons could join us - no way now. This makes it a lot more difficult for anyone driving a long distance to come to future rides if they have to take extra vacation. Since my husband has retired, we can make this change and still make the ride. But others might not be able if there are future rides starting on Sunday. Just something to consider. Or not...your choice. Thanks so much for leading these rides. We really appreciate it. :D :ty:

I do too. I think for me it just moved the problem from one weekend to another. I like getting in Saturday evening and chilling out. After 1300 miles it's nice to have Sunday to decompress and get acclimated to the climate and do a quick shakedown.

One other choice is to swap the Sunday and Monday trails so that people can choose to do all or a smaller subset of trails. That leaves Monday as the full day with Animas to Engineer.

My 2cts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last year we traveled on Saturday and wheeled Sunday thru Thursday. Bill D, 007, and I will be in Silverton on Saturday. I was told Bass and OLJ would be there early as well.

Going with that info I asked Dave if we could start on Sunday same as last year. What Ishould have done was post here first to get everyone's thoughts. I feel bad I didn't follow thru with this and apologize to all.

The bright side, we have an option of an extra day of wheeling (Friday). :)

We will be having a trail ride on Friday.
I'm not sure what trail. I think everyone would love to go to the top of Kendall Mountain. But that may not work out with a big group. It would be hard to get everyone turned around up there.
attachment.php

Silverton from the top of Kendall Mountain

Attachments

• 32 Silverton & Anvil Mt.jpg
    32 Silverton & Anvil Mt.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 262
Last year we traveled on Saturday and wheeled Sunday thru Thursday. Bill D, 007, and I will be in Silverton on Saturday. I was told Bass and OLJ would be there early as well.

Going with that info I asked Dave if we could start on Sunday same as last year. What Ishould have done was post here first to get everyone's thoughts. I feel bad I didn't follow thru with this and apologize to all.

This is why the more I think about it, the more I would really suggest swapping the Sunday and Monday trails. That makes Sunday a shorter day than Monday and in the end makes the change even out a bit. I think Bass and OJL would then still be able to have their son meet up at some point in the week.

Dave? Your thoughts on the Sunday/Monday swap?

Sorry I haven't responded sooner, I think the swap is a great thing, for me. It's looking like I will be fling out to Boston on the 18 of August. So I'm planning on coming Saturday to Tuesday-Wednesday. That would get me 2-3 days of wheeling with you all. I believe I'm staying at camp ground in Silverton. I can't remember. I have to find the paper note I wrote it all on.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Going with that info I asked Dave if we could start on Sunday same as last year. What I should have done was post here first to get everyone's thoughts. I feel bad I didn't follow thru with this and apologize to all.

No worries Posi. Don't feel bad. I doubt our son would have made the ride. I just hoped he would (one of those empty nest things...). My concern was more for any future rides starting on the week end when some may need the whole week end for travel.

As far as changing the trail ride I could see some benefit in doing the Animas Fork / Engineer Pass ride on Monday if that would reduce the traffic on a week day.
That area was very crowded with ATV's and trail bikes and they didn't usually have the best trail manners. Just a thought...
We will be there regardless! :D:D

Yeah my thought with that was giving some flexibility to Sunday where one could either skip or do a trail or two or all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom