Locking rear axle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Locking rear axle
THX for the info.:chug:
I use a converted OEM, A/C compressor and a small 'holding' tank.
LG

THX for the info.:chug:
I use a converted OEM, A/C compressor and a small 'holding' tank.
LG
Lumpy:
I have been thinking of doing the A/C compressor conversion myself. I do have a 10# CO2 tank that I used to use on my MIG welder that I can convert, but would like to do the compressor thing pretty soon.
I don't want to hijack this thread, so do you have a thread on your conversion? Or could you PM me with some pix?

Start a thread and I'll be happy to add to it.
LG

I'd recommend to anyone thinking about regearing with 32/33" tires to go no lower than 3.73. I got 4.10s installed and I'm now married to having a T-5 transmission if I want to be anywhere close to a highway. If I were just doing offroad it would be one thing, but fourth gear comes up really fast. No way I'd want 1:1 to be my top gear.

I think that's good solid advice, but more than likely few will follow it. You know how it is, "big jimmy off roader" uses 4:58's and loves them there fore I need them. Forget the fact that "big jimmy off roader" is running 36" tires, has a blowen big V8 and mud in his veins.

Edit: Wait a minute, I just re read my post and it could be read as insulting to you and others. Nope it wasn't meant to be, you are offering some very good advice. One mans hard day off roading and anothers is difficult to compare. Grinding through the swamps of Louisiana is far different from running the two tracks and old mine roads of southern Arizona.

I'd recommend to anyone thinking about regearing with 32/33" tires to go no lower than 3.73. I got 4.10s installed and I'm now married to having a T-5 transmission if I want to be anywhere close to a highway. If I were just doing offroad it would be one thing, but fourth gear comes up really fast. No way I'd want 1:1 to be my top gear.

The T5 isn't the only 5 speed out there.
Many folks think my 4:88's are too 'deep'. Then, after they drive my Jeep, most rethink their gear options.
:chug:
LG

And Lumpy has said before, his jeep isn't meant for the highway. It's a trail jeep and he is still runnin' his T-5. That's a major accomplishment in itself, that also speaks for how low his gearing really is. One mans toy is another mans daily driver.

Don't ever recall say'n mine can't or doesn't run the highway. :confused:
I can(and have)run 65-70mph all day on the freeway to get to a jeep'n spot.
YES- It's my DD.
LG

I'm not brave or wealthy enough to put an AX-15 conversion in the jeep, that's probably the only other option between the I6 and Dana 300 right?

Very interesting! It'll be on my craigslist radar, but I'm not sure if it'd work with my lift due to length.

Lumpy - I thought you'd mentioned that you CJ was mostly for trails these days. None the less, you've got a very decent combination that wasn't arrived at by accident.

I'm not brave or wealthy enough to put an AX-15 conversion in the jeep, that's probably the only other option between the I6 and Dana 300 right?

Well technically you could go with a T-176/7 if you don't mind a 4spd. You'll need your bell housing machined for the correct bolt pattern and both drive shafts. In the end you can sell your T-5 to defray a good portion of the cost depending on condition. Look for someone parting a Cj with that combination in it and grab everything at once. Around here I can grab it all for around $500.

Lumpy - I thought you'd mentioned that you CJ was mostly for trails these days. None the less, you've got a very decent combination that wasn't arrived at by accident.

It is set up for serious trail use. But, my built criteria was to be able to drive it to the trail, use'n the freeway etc.
The 5 speed is what made this possible. I know the T5 get's a bad 'rap'. That is because folks over torque load the tranny with big tires and 'tall'(2:73-3:31)R&P gears.
YES- I'm very pleased how this Jeep end'd up. And after 31 yrs of ownership, it's still my DD.
:chug:
LG

I know the T5 get's a bad 'rap'. That is because folks over torque load the tranny with big tires and 'tall'(2:73-3:31)R&P gears.

LG
Kudos for getting it to last :chug:. My experience has unfortunately proven otherwise :(
I ran anywhere from 28-33's with 4:10s and ended up rebuilding the T5 more than I liked to....and most of my driving was on-road at the time.

Hate the T5 :censored:
Love the T18 :cool:

Kudos for getting it to last :chug:. My experience has unfortunately proven otherwise :(
I ran anywhere from 28-33's with 4:10s and ended up rebuilding the T5 more than I liked to....and most of my driving was on-road at the time.

Hate the T5 :censored:
Love the T18 :cool:

I do have a fully rebuilt spare T5 set'n on the shelf, just in case. :D
LG

OK, I gotta 'fess up. I must be dumber than a box of rocks 'cause I can't figger out how to post a picture on this site. I have read the instructions where it tells me I have to go to "User CP" then to Photos & Albums. . . ." But there is no Photos & Albums. . . .anywhere.

Today, I opened up the AMC20 rear on my Jeep and guess what I found! Well, your just gonna hafta Guess 'cause I took pictures and unless someone shares the secret of picture posting. . . . . .

(Oh, and sorry for hijacking my thread back. Hope you guys were done with it.)

Last edited:
Okay, here it is. Not too much doubt now about what rear diff is installed in my AMC20 rear axle. I could go into it and replace/repair but I am told that the life expectancy of the Trac - Lok is about 50,000 miles and since I plan to keep this jeep for a good long while - I decided to just go ahead and bite the bullet. By sometime this afternoon, I plan to have it ready to drive with the two piece axle shafts changed out to one piece, the axle tubes welded to the housing, and a new ARB air-lock locker installed.

Here's a pic of the diff right after poping the cover.

Attachments

• IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 60
ARB locker - Cool system. If getting in side your differential every 50,000 miles scares you, have fun keeping your air system up and running. How are you planning on supplying air? ...... No matter you've seen all you need to see and came to a viable conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom