Locking rear axle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Locking rear axle
The other thing is Bill already made his decision. I think he made a good decision to install a locker in his AMC20. He is addressing the axle shaft issue with one piece axles. He's getting the tubes welded. He's going to have a damn good axle when he's done. Now is not the time to tell him to get a Dana 44. Now is not the time to go over the other options. He made the same decision I would have made. Actually I was faced with the same issue and kept the AMC20 and improved it like Bill is doing. Back in Minnesota I had a '84 CJ7 and I put in an ARB air locker. I never had any issues with it. Now I have a '79 CJ5 with an OX locker in the AMC20. It's been running good too although I have had to readjust the linkage once because the cable became too loose to lock the diff.
If you make these improvements the AMC20 is a good axle.

The great thing about a selectable locker such as the ARB is you can turn it off for tight turns. Also turn it off on slick roads.
:agree:
Also, my front Elocker is a simple matter of flipping a switch on the dash to disengage it. No backing up, no banging, just engaged one second, disengaged the next.

Bill - I don't think LG is meaning to discredit your vehicle. The 44 or others are just his preference. I have a 20 and I agree in stock form it has some weaknesses that need to be addressed for hard wheeling. No big deal, tomato tomato (those sound different

Wooly

So Bill , did you ever think you would start such a controversy? :D

No Sir - this was certainly not my intention. I did learn a great deal about axles and a fair bit about preferences. :notworthy:

Oh, and I did learn how to post pictures. :chug:

I believe that almost all these AMC20 vs Dana 44 arguments boil down to this.

The AMC20 is a weak in a CJ, if you tend to break them they can be made better, with enough money MUCH better. The Dana 44 starts off as a stronger axle that also can be made better. I believe where the discussion starts is when you are pouring more money into an AMC20 than it would take to get a stock Dana 44. I just did it. Axle $200, seals and bearings ~200, ~$400 total. Granted I did all the labor and installed my E-locker from my old axle. Excluding the locker and labor I'd like to compare the costs associated with both. Bill D had to buy axles, seals and bearings, a truss. I bet the total cost to make the AMC20 close to as good an axle as the Dana 44 is significantly higher. For many of us who pinch every penny the Dana 44 simply makes more sense. Bill, I'm sure you will be very happy with your decisions. When the time comes I'd be looking at an Eaton True Trac for the front end. :)

Last edited:
No truss for Bill, just welded tubes any shade tree welder or muffler shop can do.

You're right, but the point of this was first of all timing, and secondly it was the fact that there's an infinite number of things on a jeep that could be made better. Why everyone seems to pick on the AMC20 above all other things is beyond me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a bit curious why LG seems intent in discrediting my vehicle and everything that I have done to it. I certainly would not do that to his vehicle. By the way LG, I know a guy down where I came from that had been a mechanic for 35+ years and he's still just as bad as when he started. :confused:

OMG- Where did this come from? :confused:
A bit thin-skin'd aren't you.
My Jeep started out the same as yours. :bang:
That last sentence of yours, says much about you. To bad you feel that way as I only want'd the best out come and 'bang for your buck'. Bill D- In the future, I will not respond to your posts.

Carry on,
LG

Last edited:
No truss for Bill, just welded tubes any shade tree welder or muffler shop can do.

You're right, but the point of this was first of all timing, and secondly it was the fact that there's an infinite number of things on a jeep that could be made better. Why everyone seems to pick on the AMC20 above all other things is beyond me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because it was a well know problem area is all.
The 2 piece axle was a very poor idea.
LG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks