Build Thread '73 CJ Everything Build

Build Thread '73 CJ Everything Build
Nice work so far. Looks good. I kinda like how the receiver hitch was mounted to the front bumper. I like the idea of a winch you can use front or back.

I wasn't a fan of it because it stuck out past the front bumper. I'm not going to be doing much rock crawling but it effects the approach angle. Plus I figure with a block and pulley I can get myself out of a predicament if need be. Additionally I wheel with at least one other rig most times.

However I appreciate the input and the compliments.

I wasn't a fan of it because it stuck out past the front bumper. I'm not going to be doing much rock crawling but it effects the approach angle. Plus I figure with a block and pulley I can get myself out of a predicament if need be. Additionally I wheel with at least one other rig most times.

However I appreciate the input and the compliments.

I see. It looked like the receiver was set back far enough for the winch not to stick out. I guess those mounts are pretty deep.

Here is something I forgot to mention. I have an auxiliary heater mounted between the front seats. It puts out a great amount of heat to offset the factory heater. I also need to get a defroster hose because I don't have one.

I also made some progress on my sliders. I have the step almost completely welded to the slider and I plan on finishing that tomorrow am. Then I'll paint them and install. Hopefully I can get a pic of the drivers side completed.

In between welds this morning I pulled out the seat frame rail I made and painted it black.

I finished my rock sliders. I'm trying to upload photos by the seems to be an issue.

A quick update on my progress. I've been having issues with my windshield wipers. They have been binding up while driving. I looked into the issue and found the driver's side pivot keyway was stripped so when the wiper stats to bind the pivot spins in the windshield causing an even worse problem.

I've purchased the YJ pivots and will be doing that swap. I will also be able to upgrade to the better wipers that are also cheaper!

I also have an issue with my soft top. The side flaps that are supposed to wrap around the top door frame piece don't reach the Velcro on the top to actually adhere. There is a mile of distance between them. This causes the flap to fly free in the wind and crack the canvas with its intense whipping. I've decided to buy some common sense buckles and attach the flaps to the straight piece at the top of the door frame. I'll secure them this way to eliminate the issue all together. I'm not that upset about putting holes in my top because the holes are inside the cab when it's all said and done. I'll post some pics of it when I'm finished.

I'm also in the process of mounting my roll cage to the frame. I need to buy some bushings and tabs and I'll be off and running.

Additionally I have been tracing down some small oil leaks. I'm going to end up replacing my oil pan gasket, pinion seal on the Dana 30, output gasket on the Dana 20, rear diff cover and maybe the rear main if it's a 2 piece gasket.

Furthermore Im torn between upgrading my stock Dana 44 and Dana 30 and doing a complete upgrade to full width axles. Eventually it'll be a trailer Queen so road legality isn't an issue either. This is a lot g ways down the road however, I still need to buy a tow rig.

Nice work. I like the rock sliders and flat fenders. Been through Brownsville a couple of times. My brother lives in Eugene and I actually grew up outside of Eagle Point. Your jeep is looking real good!

Nice work. I like the rock sliders and flat fenders. Been through Brownsville a couple of times. My brother lives in Eugene and I actually grew up outside of Eagle Point. Your jeep is looking real good!

That's awesome. I actually lived and worked in Medford for a bit. Had friends from Eagle Point.

Here's what I've done with the common sense buckles.

I was wondering what you meant by the buckles on your top. I understand with picture. My 7 top is a different style for that area. My mom and sister live in Medford I usually visit them every summer

Update alert:

I purchased the Yj pivots and linkages, ebay special. I found out the Yj linkage that connects the two pivots is too short. The Yj linkage is approximately 23" and the Cj linkage is 26" so I will need to modify that. I did get them both installed however

I also picked up an 8 lug 3/4 ton Dana 44 with flat top knuckles and a 14 bolt. I plan on installing them at some point in the future and running leaf springs. There are so many things I would like to do and so little $.

looks like a really clean set of axles

I'd been searching the dot coms keeping my eye out. I ultimately found the set for $350. Couldn't pass up that deal.

I landed on these after a $100 deal for a Waggy NT front axle fell through. I was all set to pick it up and that morning the guy text me and says the axle was stolen over night. I think the 3/4 tons are a better deal anyway.

I'd been searching the dot coms keeping my eye out. I ultimately found the set for $350. Couldn't pass up that deal.

I landed on these after a $100 deal for a Waggy NT front axle fell through. I was all set to pick it up and that morning the guy text me and says the axle was stolen over night. I think the 3/4 tons are a better deal anyway.

Ya that's a pretty good deal for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are the common sense fasteners installed on the passenger side. It's not my best work but it'll do. I haven't got around to the drivers side yet.

On a different note I haven't been able to track down a suitable nut to secure my wiper pivots to my windshield frame. I am going to try Fastenal to see if they have a decent option. Is anyone interested in a nice high quality set of wiper pivot nuts made from aluminum. I am considering having some made if there is enough interest.

Last edited:
A quick update. I finished up the common sense fastener install on the driver's side. I also had to make my own wiper pivot nuts. Info on that can be found on the wiper issue in a different thread.

Is there a tool that crimps them together?

Is there a tool that crimps them together?

A tool that crimps the common sense fasteners together? I'm sure the is but "The Top Shop" told me to bend the tabs over with a flat head screwdriver. To get them extra secure I used a pair of channel locks on some tabs. The fasteners I used have the large washer (see photo). They were also they normal height fastener NOT the double height.

There wasn't much for mud on the trail. Jeep did great and no breaks.

Also I cut off my roll cage and a friend helped me build a complete cage out of .120 wall DOM.

Build is looking good. That cage is sweet. The only thing I see as a possible issue is if someone is sitting in the back and you hit a bump. It looks like their head might hit the rear vertical bar. Just something to think about.

Build is looking good. That cage is sweet. The only thing I see as a possible issue is if someone is sitting in the back and you hit a bump. It looks like their head might hit the rear vertical bar. Just something to think about.

Hey Motorhead I have thought of that and eventually I won't have a back seat​ and I wanted the full cage look. The only people who will be using the rear seat will be my kiddos but you are correct that an adult would hit their head on the rear bar.

Thanks for the kudos and I'm every slowly making progress.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom