Build Thread '73 CJ Everything Build

Build Thread '73 CJ Everything Build
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'73 CJ5, 350, T18, D20, full width Dana 44 & 14 bolt w/ 5.13's. Leaf springs for the win.
Hello there CJ forum.

I want to start out by saying I just found out about this site last night.

I own a 1973 CJ5 that I bought in Sept of 2014 for $4100.
I am by no means rolling in the $ so this is a slow build just like most everyone else. I do however have enough skills to fabricate up a lot of my parts and have friend who are also capable of some really nice work.

The plan ultimate plan for the build is to have an all around capable Jeep. Wheeling in my area consists of mild trails, mud, rock and sand.

The Jeep is fairly clean and mostly rust free. It had a 258 from the beginning but that soon changed after it developed a major oil leak. I went ahead and did a timing chai, really main seal, oil pan gasket and such to remedy the problem. It turned out the issue was cylinder blow by causing the bad oil leak.

The search began for a new engine. I landed on a 1982 K5 Blazer. I paid $750 and is came with a strong running SBC 350, HEI, long tubes, Edelbrock carb and intake. I pulled the engine and salvaged any parts I though ght I may need for my swap. Then I turned around and parted out the K5 to local people. After it was all said and done I walked away with more then $750 from the parts so my engine basically cost me $0!

I will post photos when I get a little more free time as well as get the build page more up to date. There are a lot more items that I crossed off the list in the last 2.5 years that I haven't mentioned.

:ww:

Welcome to the sickness...... Keep us updated.

Okay I am going to attempt to post some photos of what the Jeep looked like when I bought it and start talking about what I have done so far.

It had a 258 from the beginning but that soon changed after it developed a major oil leak. I went ahead and did a timing chai, really main seal, oil pan gasket and such to remedy the problem. It turned out the issue was cylinder blow by causing the bad oil leak.

Welcome, nice looking CJ, I'm getting to like white more and more.

Just a heads up, the PCV should be installed on the rear of the valve cover, and filtered air should be entering in where you now have the PCV. A properly set up PCV system will prevent blow by.

I was not aware of the PCV valve being in the wrong location. But that is neither here nor there at this point.

Here is the K5 and all the new parts I needed for the sbc swap. I also bought a 3 core aluminum rad, fuel pump block off, magna flow 2 into 1 exhaust, a spare set of axles with disc brakes! I had 4 wheel drum. I modified the front bumper. I solid mounted my winch. I took it wheeling with my daughter. I replaced the roll cage and built some custom rock sliders.

I'm sure there is more that I am forgetting but oh well. Feel free to ask me questions about whatever. We also moved during all of these photos so you'll see so of my old garage, my rental garage, my friends shop and my new shop.

Last edited:
The timing chain wasn't grinding but it was loose. I took advantage of the open case and changed it.

I got new mirrors also. I had multiple bolts break off. Oh well easy out to the rescue.

Also here I the donor K5 $750 bucks. I drove it home 40 miles without the passenger side door on. Wow didn't get some looks.

Last edited:
Pulling engines. My wife was so nice as to donate her garage parking spot so I could work indoors on the K5.

Here are my new engine mounts too.

Last edited:
New index ring for the Novak adapter plate.
Some new valve covers.
The fuel pump block off.
New pilot bearing from Novak.
Novak adapter bolted to the t-18 spacer and the SBC bellhousing.

Last edited:
Bellhousing mated to the T-18.
Engine in place. I'm didn't move my drive train so the HEI is close to the fire wall. I ended up bending the firewall slightly but I didn't use a big hammer. I simply pulled it back with my hands.

Last edited:
Engine mounts tacked then welded in place. I used scab plates too.

Also I got some block huggers from Speedway motors and a brand new 3 core radiator.

Last edited:
The engine is all in and wired up. I also took it down to the local muffler shop and picked up some 2 into 1 all the way out the back Magnaflow exhaust.

Last edited:
I picked up a spare set of axles. I had 4wheel drum so I'm converting the front to disc. I also got some flat fenders and welded them up and ground them smooth.

I also had a bad belt squeal on startup that developed so I bought a new alternator bracket kit from summit. No more squealing.

Last edited:
Fenders ground smooth. Modified my front bumper and killed a cheapo angle grinder in the process. Also gussetted the flat fenders. The kit should have came with gussets but it doesn't. Hmm.

Also we sold our house and so I'm working in the apartment garage. Our neighbors are ultra loud at night so I hope they enjoy my early am grinding and welding.

Last edited:
Jeeps out in the warm sun. Took my daughter for a drive.

Also we bought a new house so any build plans are on hold for a month or two.

We got to the new house and I decuded to solid mount my winch instead of using a receiver mount. All painted. Flat black of course.

Last edited:
I got the fenders paints and now I've begun the disc brake swap.

All brand new ball joints, wheel bearings, steering components and brake lines.

Last edited:
Finished up the disc brake swap and took my daughter wheeling.

Last edited:
There wasn't much for mud on the trail. Jeep did great and no breaks.

Also I cut off my roll cage and a friend helped me build a complete cage out of .120 wall DOM.

Last edited:
It got late so we stopped working on the cage. It was also really cold that day so we decided to finish when it's too off weather.

Also I started to build my own rock sliders.

This is where I am currently at: 1/27/17
I built them out of 3/16 2" square tube and added a schedule 40 pipe for a step. I finished the passenger side and am almost done.

Last edited:
Last photo for now. I promise.

Passenger side slider finished.

Now I will be posting updates slowly as I have got my build up to date.

Last edited:
Nice work so far. Looks good. I kinda like how the receiver hitch was mounted to the front bumper. I like the idea of a winch you can use front or back.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks