Build Thread 1986 CJ-7 Renegade : Memories

Build Thread 1986 CJ-7 Renegade : Memories
Well I figure it's about time for an eye candy post. I mean isn't how your Jeep looks just as important as how it runs? Mine is a street queen so my answer is yes!

I set aside today (on vacation) just for cleaning, washing, claying, waxing, vacuuming, etc. which I really haven't done since I got it other than washing. Figured it was time to shine it up! I tried some polish on a little section but I didn't even notice the difference so I didn't do that.

Might be hard to tell from a picture but in person it looks really good. I know I'm bragging but I just look at it and feel very proud to own it and have twice as much fun driving it. Never felt this way about a car before. Stupid huh? LOL

w3NXXXh.jpg

RP8KucP.jpg

I use Mequiar's products. Clay really helps but be careful with it around graphics. The wax I use is paste (can control amount you apply better) and full synthetic (lasts longer)

h6EhFJY.jpg

ZJje3pI.jpg

You should be proud, it is a very sweet Jeep that a lot of us here wish that it was sitting in our garage. Enjoy

Ya dude that’s a gorgeous CJ7 keep taking care of it I like meguiars products as well, I look forward to the day that my CJ looks that good

Sent from my brd using Tapatalk

Very nice!! You do realize red is the best color, right??? LOL

Sent from my fridge using Tapatalk

. I know I'm bragging but I just look at it and feel very proud to own it and have twice as much fun driving it.

RP8KucP.jpg

Twice as much is the best you got ? I'm at least quadruple as much fun driving it. :). I have to admit it might look a little better than mine, but with almost 34 years of washing mine and not waxing to much I've worn the shine off but not my love for it

Twice as much is the best you got ? I'm at least quadruple as much fun driving it. :). I have to admit it might look a little better than mine, but with almost 34 years of washing mine and not waxing to much I've worn the shine off but not my love for it

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

Belizean, claying and ultimate compound from Meguiar's should bring back your shine if your paint is still good. Doesn't take too long. Wash, clay, polish, wax. Again be mindful of any graphics while clay and polishing.

BTW, where did you get that front jeep plate with your year? I really like that.

One dang fine job you did! :notworthy:
:chug:
LG

Thank you everyone for the kind words

BTW, where did you get that front jeep plate with your year? I really like that.

buildasign.com. While I was there I got a white one also for the future. I'm lucky, no graphics to fade or mess up !

Horn went out! The sky is falling! Oh nos!

Fix? Horn relay was bad. Replace and toot toot!

I tested the horn (is original) with leads from the battery and it sounded. The ground is the horn assembly bolted to the body so check the ground there as well for issues if you have the original horn. Newer horns might have separate leads to ground.

The relay did seem to activate when wheel button pushed so I didn't think it had anything to do with the wheel mechanism. That only left that the relay was actually bad even though it sounded like it activated. That was the problem. So just because it sounds like it works doesn't mean it actually is.

Relay shown is the old one and the box is what the new one came in.

zXJakpL.jpg

Sweet

Sent from my couch using Tapatalk

Noticed that a small amount of gas would slosh out from the gas cap area when doing moderate braking especially when I had a full tank. I had a sneaking suspicion from the get go what it was but I had hoped a new gas cap would solve the issue. New gas cap installed. Didn't fix it. Nuts.

Well the problem is the fuel filler neck flange was slightly bent up especially where the gas cap seals against it. No seal = leak. Ordered a new fuel filler neck and tested the new gas cap on it before installation. Oh boy does it seal good!

Figured while I was in this area might as well install new fuel filler hose and vent hose and have new clamps as well because I would imagine everything was original and needed replacing anyway.

Old fuel filler neck:
2GVpxUE.jpg

New fuel filler neck:
iBmwwkx.jpg

New fuel filler neck info:
ZELytrd.jpg

New fuel filler hose:
gp9vt8l.jpg

New vent hose:
De8Cpof.jpg

After installation:
MVAaodx.jpg

Well I think I beat this topic to death! What do you think? LOL

Lol good work. How is your gas tank holding up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol good work. How is your gas tank holding up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good. Don't jinx me!!! LOL

Just bought a new fill and vent hose... Like you, I have the area open to install rear bumper and noticed the hoses are hard and cracked... Hoping the flanges are okay.

For those of us with old, failing memories, repetition is a good thing :chug:

Sent from my "library" using Tapatalk

Who did you get the hoses from? I bought some and the didn't fit.

rockauto.com

The hoses for the 15 and 20 gallon tanks are different. Mine is 15 gallon. What is yours?

When I replaced mine many years back I had to stretch them a little, slightly short but doable

rockauto.com

The hoses for the 15 and 20 gallon tanks are different. Mine is 15 gallon. What is yours?

It's been awhile since I have done anything with it so I don't remember. But I remember they were to short. I got a set for a Cherokee from them and they were spot on. So I must have got them for the wrong size tank. Thanks

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks