Build Thread 1986 CJ-7 Renegade : Memories

Build Thread 1986 CJ-7 Renegade : Memories

Scorzany

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 CJ7 Renegade, 4.2L, 4 speed manual, T177 transmission, D300 transfer, D44 rear diff, power steering, no A/C, manual brakes. Carter BBD w/o Stepper.
Hello.

First a little history if you will indulge me.

My uncle bought a brand new brown CJ5 back in the 70s. He still drove it until he died at 80 years old. He would drive it every now and then to visit us. A cool guy that I wish I knew better but he lived far away. Anytime I saw a CJ I thought of my uncle. Anyway, this was my first real experience with a Jeep CJ when I was a boy.

Some years later I graduated high school in 1985. Let's just say I went to school with some rich boys that got brand new Jeep CJs during high school and for graduation. Boy was I jealous! So cool!!

Next was College. Again I went to college with some rich boys who had Jeep CJs and again I was so jealous. So cool!! They looked so fun! I live in the deep South so we have lots of top down weather all year and I saw them all during college driving around (even though the last year they made CJs was 86). Wearing Raybans, Duck Head pants, Levi Edition blue jean jackets, and Polo green bottle cologne. This was the mid 80s mind you LOL. And talk about a chick magnet! I don't need to really tell you guys that do I?

Anyway, time goes by and life goes on right? Never got one and kinda forgot about them and only being reminded of them when my uncle drove his CJ5 for visits.

Fast foward to today. Over 30 years since high school graduation. I was going to turn 50 soon and started thinking about getting a cool car. I always had very practical cars and sort of a mid-life crisis feeling came over me. Got my wife a very nice hardly used Corvette that she always wanted when she turned 40 (that's another story! LOL) so what about me for turning 50? I sacrificed all my life for a better future and I was going to get what I wanted this time. So what car? Well I think you can guess right?

I searched. Every day on the internet searching the entire country. 2 years till I found exactly what I wanted that was stock/unmolested, in good condition, good engine, low miles, and didn't have the price tag of a total restoration job. Had to have a good color, manual of course, and a CJ7 because I'm tall. And of course it had to be a Renegade and have the proper graphics on it.

Tall order I know. Like looking for a unicorn right? But I have patience. Guys laughed at me. "Get a new one!" they would say. I said "If it's not a CJ then it's a p**sy Jeep! Not gonna buy one of those!" LOL "Get that one! It's close to what you want." "Hell no! It's not what I want." I would say. Haha

Days and months went by. Wrong color, wrong model, not manual, high miles, rusted out, too expensive, or wasn't a Renegade. Sorry Laredo and Golden Eagle guys. Got pretty frustrated but I kept searching.

Finally found it. Story was a guy lived both in the US and overseas. Only when he was in the US was it driven and stored the rest of the time. Met all the factors. This was it! Even had the window sticker with the title and it was born a Renegade! Not just someone later putting the graphics oh it. Destiny. Bought it the day I saw it.

I don't have much to do to this Jeep so don't expect a lot of major work to be done. Cosmetic things here and there and a few modifications to make it more reliable. ie: Team Rush upgrade, etc. Trying to keep it as stock as much as possible but I'm going to drive it regularly so some things need to be done.

So this thread is not only for my build but also for the memories of my uncle, high school, and college. A cool guy and the days of my youth. I can tell you that when I get in it I feel like I'm in a time machine. Transported back to the freedom of my younger days without a care in the world and think of my Uncle every now and then. Got the Raybans, Duck Head chinos, and Levi Edition blue jean jacket too! Oh and don't forget the original Polo green cologne! I get lots of compliments everywhere I go. Lot's of "Wows!", "Cool Jeep!", "What year is it!?", etc.

Yes, my Jeep CJ7 puts a smile on my face every time I see it and really when I drive it. I also named it Robert, in honor of my uncle. I will drive it until the day I die like he did. I will never sell it. It will be like selling my memories. This is my Jeep.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed my story. Now........

Here it is, the day I got it home:

20170630_130147.jpg

How it looks now. Details of changes made to date to come:

20170725_134757_1.jpg

Good story / nice looking jeep. Thought you were going to say you ended up with your uncles. I've had mine 33 years and keeping it to close to the end :)

I have a very similar story myself... always wanted one but never had the means back in the day. Always on the lookout for what I wanted and got lucky to find it. I've had mine since January of 2015 and put almost 10k miles on it. I'll own it forever and have a huge gleaming smile on my face whenever I drive it.
Welcome to the club!16daf70c9920ec9fe4f4d3f93f0c38c8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OK here we go! Will try my best to post details that I hope won't bore anyone but this is also a record of what I do in case I lose photos, forget, etc. I've already learned so much from reading this forum by lurking so a big thanks to all of you and maybe these details will help someone in the future too! Ask any questions you like and I will try to answer them.

Little things done today. 79K miles

New EGR valve. I think the old one was original. Got the one for California Emissions. What's a couple more dollars right? And that is a new vac hose for it too. Never-Seez on bolts. Might have been the source of a small vac leak. Bolts were not that tight upon removal. /shrug

New One
I6KieYU3gIVoDCROf4v9ZgG5g_L-x9H0ZKLfahNEha8WYNWnG6U5icpW8rSu7bZ6N3jyh7-Z8l7zH_3gJAW6aIUDlkqo2AbMPay02LIN4g-ah6XHF5SGOamhfeEqxaUunUuk-jf_vQvDBpv4uyGVbPkzC3tGXNuAaG1GWmKXUKO7NTAFldF_LaegBN31fAQhDuaglk1udEqxA0-fx-XwzsoSIk1SNd82rZk_iE8deFsc13Zt1H9rJ-A2MfpI0OKlZRgsJUUXgiL0KV5x6-m1BOwhIUm4BQe7UWCa6wNG7V6cfUiBnLpR-20b524cVJWj0HmcANCwWjh8I4IU7aBcl7wxnJCYWrb-ZPTt4lEQ-C2kC28nPOnEMu_Gu9U7LuMZUXMcCNhDyPhfp9z_0fbMFxoK4_xKOkLu67TvmZ-LJYMAIK1NxP5UiS5RKuGAER38wU4__ydG30anSlq9QajzN_RQXr8U2YgdlJ4mnbCDH3RiodTHa1vKxwBO5pbR4Lo-HosXCKwIWVoskh258olGytdeKnxGmuQWWHMvRJ5W3X0Pks_ov8Zf8_WrLwtbp5r-tq8oJC4v1zGPRJi3jsqNROs5wr2jof_BLA=w1026-h769

Box
vUcz5od_tyeJzhryrocgt8ounNrI2sSKVXo4U_WgJCMC5rK4SvomdJiIKBFhCkDHyyh7VM9M5C3PbRzP9EA_zoAf3TjAZ45fB0iLuNvYLP1dFg6sIaWmqPeaOTMz1W4RB5JpZuDvZBWgmDEgTBlOwJfjTy_xxefNs2hjv4vXCXUCwP8wxlx4gIecyNFN4QFbyX1slsb13fgwY_7gFe8pyQ9MyCH8oJewiQ6Y14j1QOtxTG7nMddpfh2AVkr4FNwe57eZe6yppjFlCfXSebjdRf2C7ccpZqLp8x2andDbe_O98i5ZcCG0NPR7LllshTLp32dGKxxoIBz_6TumMLe9j2GsGWuVgYrQ4NmmLvvhS5cFy-kl9hUG8UB3czdH3f4qkHfsKsMuvHc3V9AfsQjqVOEWvrkepnxq9Z0Uz4iUhpukS_ZVAV8BQq-BeTLWvRBZ3a2h_wIkwWMZaEVqc0sy6EgCMPxj7Dk4_lNKd5nOjoAHDgyzwPb-c97n1ojoUTq4pHQDinZitr04MN2Uw_y9Z3G-Vv8QeVXqG1few3pvetOSm0wKbVPU7JUVP_KF2xbArjwTSPpH6_VzFnfLjkwKCR3hCRbh3aqPPw=w577-h769-no

Old One
7-IEfj4lrEkomrG4NfjbMUfRq98n0I8mZRQddV83E-rFks2y9XMpmh_y0c2grcUaKSH53ifncdi8PVkPA9-v6AqtUR0lP5cyycSYukIL0h8976Mbm09hal2qQLVJ_7we-quWGx-HnfUwpCMtgWvo8W6IKsiMgVB-GsXU-499q_CbU6yXwhKymKkOb0DOVDXbBB5RxB61Nk4kcEIkVdllLJKDHZOpOyCBlVLXyTFxJ9BRP-Gb4OdhwTg9xvv7t-1SO6c_C66oUpjHFKH_9u9XRrmUIK0vpoik0qSDHw6-7p-0Z9pYHwC395s0kkQQh6GHkS-q4UPtxbW_e7ViqzDtM1QO5H3yq9qXLXxdpxf0t2OyuQan6Us2mitoBcQ3GGkGhjpEmQ-UVgJLpy7wYkoHBetBkRrU41MMh4ged6RJhRcIwAewvYuqX6Io6q6mTr5i2FjJkGDaT3seNg2WfVcDtjFtxObN8-moFKbDVijfFfCUforkYE7fHXeXSe-yAZbgXTOJR2bd2WaEFDVC-so4FqvqaI6iFq-3yPpEA0nz1FQ4u6lk5X6oZpU--uIMbiuHV7GR0o0Uj47j1btjnf8NAU4ZNbNTwosVcw=w563-h750-no

Last edited:
Definitely a good looking Jeep!

If it were mine, and since it’s so original, I’d consider finding an original set of seats with proper fabric and color and find an original windshield frame.

Do you know when the Jeep was painted and did you match the color to the VIN color code?

Definitely a good looking Jeep!

If it were mine, and since it’s so original, I’d consider finding an original set of seats with proper fabric and color and find an original windshield frame.

Do you know when the Jeep was painted and did you match the color to the VIN color code?

Thanks for the compliment! It is very original. If anyone needs pics of stuff they want to see let me know.

Yeah, I kinda didn't like the seats but they were almost brand spanking new. I'll have to look into finding original seats and re-fabric it.

Why do you think the windshield frame is not original?

It was repainted. Do not know when. The color was matched to the vin code I believe because some of the inside was not repainted and it matches. Not perfect match though but close. I'll check on those details.

Oh, are old orignal parts worth anything to bother about? Even if broken and worn out? I've got seat belts, roll bar pads, soft top frame, etc. I'm keeping everything I take off or replace just in case.

New radiator cap. 79K miles. Old one might be original? Don't know. Edit: I don't think it is after researching the brand.

Extremely minor I know but I'm killing time waiting on getting last parts for a pretty extensive brake system job!

Old one on left.

raBYYYKI9BPby6hWoUhfwOOBsc8nROANuyYJjj_Ig9JQJm7TTkVyGMSjrMaECNVwB4a-Wza5ZYLJhr1rnWWRXVtbR7ntFSMJ2Jg-us2ZUteQtvwVytX5GY8ms8sNGggJ3bLybHhhXV3KH8YsXUqdlRByGmSAVSMdS007mRiP2b0oAiYPsd3hUb14c26haXz4TyQNIcyzSZtzmdCJgWX4DmAL6LJbawbNqHlDnKbuxaQopjs548aKou3ZsX7tRnXasOSKeBTnfm_y8sAbrSA08fZyuYEFHH2bWCFb35XjJY3E2ktwyIFggotdhh8npOBqsTfeAbrEx1HUqqPYiHY8Lt6A6IxPClAL4VrfG5O85HlKHPArx5Hhz0NGZaRrF8K8-aD6TzpGpc-TtBrVoOko8ij2u9oOXHtDTB6QzA1TBd-UjNVswgyMB8wTtm_u2mduWz9rDDlNbkXaAT0LbfnpAx1lWYmERT95XsnaT3SoNwHx84ltXtLiFr_p2MG9rb12q6MvpEZv29WDXDgNIyE5msu36184wKnabNrB1njTi0ThUlDyx7RN4GlISl0dJBdgRZVqNAaTmo8ZCTNdHyRuMKoE73iNQUDcQg=w1001-h750-no

Box

ekeUYJT3hD0OUTx78LYIiOvvuZ8dt7B62T6pxNpbh8zJQJxgR-3f8zi9Xd3MzuDWy7p0z6a1tU5tyuPPQylVguoYjR-f_i_kNL-odZGaETOxTkVaMF6zep7-7r3v1SNj5f6uPZBK2LOk0oIZKGcaw17TGWAE7VLG_Gp6Ys-YUF3CbdwIoHwMWSzcO6FhjSIkd37IHAbzA7mslIAnfbwvEvYWqNGpN3NHNWZry1psbLllL7KcSfmCquXxcHKfSeayMlKN6tVhYO1mquHox4jufUxp9BmdQ9ZMYuvD1Nw8yziTMvrEMLx3cwJ3lO9KWiPfQJoIjwYwQ13OHtZ_TL4mz9lwW00jHG2TtWBTz64z-zQ3b5D24JHNDbk-1XrzwUoD2PXtU9cdjED0jw-_GX_9xScq-OJX36p0oNvIm_oVX44mCZT0ED7EKEsPwq4rB0aDOp_uU8Odot2GzO5cjx5Razr6GwL6ctYlBM8n-7HN5NlfbTNrl_F9a8M9ax6wjMwIrHg8kRvi3Fc79YLW_ATtkCOX16MbutrSFS7Orcebmb4rV9kk-HvIk-_4kh7y62_3DWNQNh6qxn77_3Cr2uxqkrVvUpVXRfKRVg=w1001-h750-no

Last edited:
I'm not seeing the pics.

I'm not seeing the pics.

Someone else notified me of that! Sorry.

They are in my google pic account. Am I doing something wrong? I can see them.

Can yall see the ones in post 5 now?

Now I see 2 out of the 3 in #5

Now I see 2 out of the 3 in #5

Well now I can't edit that post to see how I did it.

Very frustrating all this. Used to be much easier some years back on photo sharing.

You can't edit your posts as much as you want?

Your Story sounds very familiar. Congratulation on your find.

Yes I can see your pic in the link.

Hmmmm I don't like the way google photos shows my name, email, etc.. when you click on the link. I'll have to find some other photo sharing site.

Any suggestions?

OK gonna use Imgur

Last edited:
OK can yall see this? Sorry this thread is turning into a cluster you know what with me trying to show pics of my build.

nO3Zsc3.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks