Build Thread 1986 CJ-7 Renegade : Memories

Build Thread 1986 CJ-7 Renegade : Memories
Used #2 Welding wire for: (Welding wire is a much better conductor of electricity than normal battery wire and has a tough jacket to resist corrosion, oil, etc). Get the good stuff. It was only $2 a foot at a local welding supply store.

Battery positive to starter solenoid
Starter solenoid to starter
Battery negative to starter case (ground)
Battery negative to engine block (ground)

w2iTwtb.jpg

Then I used 100% copper and tinned compression lugs and battery terminals with this. Make sure it's for #2 gauge.

a6Kxq0a.jpg
xnTJp65.jpg
oYjFErq.jpg
BQYUUdh.jpg
fF9gzMz.jpg

Used this heat shrink tubing. It has glue on this inside too! Makes a very good seal on connections. Again, make sure you can use on #2 gauge.

5B1UOSA.jpg

Last edited:
Used #10 gauge high quality automotive wire for all other grounds/wiring upgrades.

okRQ0W0.jpg

Again used 100% copper and tinned compression lugs. These were kinda expensive IMO. I think it's because it was for #10 gauge which is not a common size. The hole is for a 1/4 inch stud which I needed in order to fit a grounding bus that you will see later.

VHpDsuY.jpg

Used this heat shrink tubing. Has the glue.

BLXxqKB.jpg

Here is where I grounded my alternator directly to the battery. There was a bolt hole for this. Jeep didn't do this and just had the alternator grounded through the engine block. Now it has a DIRECT ground.

HMa5ACg.jpg

Here is where I grounded my starter directly to the battery. Jeep didn't do this and just had the starter grounded through the engine block. Now it has a DIRECT ground.

sI8HarV.jpg

Here is the grounding bus bar I installed that is wired directly to the battery. This is where you run all your #10 gauge wire grounds to as needed. More details to come on this later.

RlLDzbf.jpg

Things I have done differently so far than JeepHammer did in his posts:

I ran the second #2 gauge from the negative on the battery to the engine block instead of a to a grounding lug. I wanted to maintain a direct ground from battery to engine block instead of going through a lug. I did a separate wire from the battery to the grounding bar.

I used a grounding bus bar instead of a bolt. The studs are 1/4 inch. That's why I needed 1/4 inch holes on my compression lugs for #10 gauge wire. It also has a cover for the bus bar. I'll put up pics of the bus bar box and cover soon.

Started the Jeep up and what a difference in cranking power with a direct ground for the starter and #2 gauge welding wire (instead of #4)! Starter sounded much more powerful and Jeep fired up right away. Engine sounded smoother too. Those spark plugs need good grounds to work well.

Very nice work I love your attention to detail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pic of the grounding bus bar and cover boxes. Marine grade. Eventually there will be three (3) total. Engine bay, under dash, and rear.

Zf2WFQv.jpg

Pic of grounding bus bar with cover installed.

3kygwRH.jpg

Finally broke down and bought a remanufactured carb. I think the old one was just too far gone for a simple rebuild to resolve some minor issues. Bought one for a 82 Jeep CJ because those don't have the stepper motor (which you don't need if you nutter it).

It was only $209 and free shipping for a completely remanufactured Carter BBD with a $75 refundable core charge. I figured with the time and part cost involved getting mine in the same condition as a remanufactured one it was a no brainer. Plus I know the carb that came with the Jeep when I bought it was not original (no stepper motor) so there was no value there either.

How did it function? FANTASTIC! Not even the slightest hesitation on startup (no pumping the gas, no long crank, and no dieseling at all on shutdown. Purrs like a kitten and the throttle felt a whole lot better. Cant wait to see what gas mileage I get when I dial it in more. Money well spent. Heck it will pay for itself soon if the gas mileage improves just slightly. So if you're having problems with your carb, might just be worth it to you to just get a remanufactured one and be done with it. I heard/read bad things about new Carter BBD knockoffs. I called and made sure it was a Carter remanufacture before I ordered.

and NO! I'm not going to put a Motorcraft Carb on it! So don't even ask. LOL

UREMCO 10-10061 from Summit Racing.

Old Carb:
Ebot2Pc.jpg

New Carb:
gedhWse.jpg

Sweet good to hear,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks