Willys Wagon

Willys Wagon
Hav'n owned PU trucks all my life. Let me say this. Push'n heavy stuff off and on the tailgate is a PITA. ;)
Hav'n those doors, would be a blessing in many ways.:chug:
YMMV,
LG

I liked the first one I thought the doors were pretty cool but you make good points about the gate. And the one with the gate is cheaper so you could buy that motor and trans/transfer and swap it into it have and pretty cool wagon. As far as the 283 I would put it in and run it and see if you like it if not 350s are a dime a dozen our you could even go to a 383. The paint is the easy part just get a sander and go after it.

:) taking paint off isn't the hard or expensive part, it's putting it back on. Even if I did it myself paint is crazy money these days. There are plusses on both vehicles.

Lumpy I agree with you as well. There is little I dislike more than the pick -up truck crawl. Everything in a pick-up seems to be in the very worst place. Come to think of it my Bronco was similar. The TrooperII (Back Doors) was great in many ways. With the slant of the rear of the wagon it appears that you have to lift the door up and open.

Sorry guys, I'm listening to everything you all are posting. I suppose it sounds a little like I'm circling the wagons and getting no where.

Noticed the lever as well. I do wonder if it is a CJ T18 or a pickup T18. The bell housing does look like the short CJ variety.

Hack - On your suggestion I just sent an "I'd like to inspect it." Email.

The spacer is about 5" on the FSJ version of the T18. That's one out of a CJ that's been adapted to the Chevy bellhousing. The FSJ ones can be adapted with the shorter input shaft. But it's the same transmission.

It pretty much looks like a CJ T-18 to me, I suppose it might be a Ford, also adapted. Interesting discussion, but in the end both would more than serve my needs.

Agreed

What's the first gear ratio with the TH-350?
The 205 is a super strong T-case that can easily handle big block engines with 42" tires. 203/205 doubler = 4.1

The over all strength of the NP203 is unquestionable. Adding a 203/205 doubler sounds VERY impressive, but also expensive. As opposed to the CJ5 I have to consider that a Wagon will not be nearly as off road capable so I suppose cutting edge crawl ratios are foolish.

Does anyone have experience with the highway speed of a Wagon. Looking at stock axle gearing it appears that highway speeds might not be a reasonable expectation. But if the Wagon is equipped with an all Chevy pick-up drivetrain there is no reason to believe it wouldn't do well on the interstate.

Stock gearing would be 4.88 or 5.38
MPH 50-55, w/OD 60-maybe 65
I was never in a rush driving my wagon, or truck just enjoyed the cruise.

I know this is ground I've covered before, but here in Arizona we are stuck with driving on the interstate system (Interstate 10) to travel most anywhere. Also we generally drive much further to be almost anywhere. When I was a kid in Upstate New York a 35 mile trip was a long drive, here 35 miles gets you across town. So, with this being part of my daily driving routine I will need a wagon that can keep up without being hated by all those traveling at 65-75 mph. I suppose that is why my mind is always thinking a Wagon/Chevy truck hybrid would work best for my situation. 4.88 or 5.38 gearing might be difficult to live with out here.

....... I'm falling into the routine of treating posts here as a conversation where this should be less so maybe more technical in nature.

Most of ARIDzona is posted 70mph, and many of the open freeways are 80mph.
I do believe the AZ folks consider them to be minimum speeds tho.......:eek:

LG

THe max legal speed here in Az. is 75mph, but it's different in Texas. We are the usual 25, 35, 45, 55, 65 and 75mph. In Texas they are different. 50, 70, 80, and 85mph are not uncommon. At least on I-10 heading toward Florida. While it would do it easily enough, I know that my X-terra hated anything above 80. You could almost see the fuel gauge drop. At 75 fuel consumption was manageable.

OK-My error. It was 75mph on US 10. But anydangbody under 85mph was get'n passed.....LOL
Our max here is 70mph. Trailer tow'n, max is 55mph.
LG

Guess when I'm in Arizona with my jeep I'll be getten run down from behind

:) from time to time it's no big deal, but day to day it becomes a bit of a drag.

Took a trip up to Phoenix... which wasn't really Phoenix ...To check out the 1959 Wagon. How would I describe it, well the phrase would sound a lot like "What a piece of shingle." Hidden rust everywhere, the engine puffs black smoke on start up, the transmission looked like it was wearing a thick black furry winter coat and the steering wheel arrangement was sketchy at best. It did run, but not well with an obvious skip.

..... up next ... a good look at the light blue one.

For those following: Heading down to Benson AZ to look at the Blue Wagon. I'm not expecting much, but will give it a look.

Best of luck!
Hope you have a great easter.
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks