Willys Wagon

Willys Wagon

Hedgehog

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
-1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch
-1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock
I've been lusting after a Willys Wagon. The one I'm currently looking at is a 1955 in primer, the interior is gutted and ambulance doors. It has a Chevy steering column Chevy drivetrain 307 cu in V-8, TH-350 Automatic, NP-205 transfer case, Dana 44 Axles. What is your opinion on that combination. I know the 350 isn't as tough as the 400. Essentially I know nothing about Chevy drivelines except, as about everybody knows the SBC is much loved.

There are some Wagons with 700R transmissions. The one I've been thinking about is $5500, the others are pushing $10,000. Naturally I would probably be pouring another 5,000 into it so the $10,000 price tag probably isn't bad.

Looking forward to see some pictures if and when you get this one.

Been lookin' hard at it, but can't quite justify it yet. There are so many variables. I know I don't want a Wagon in stock configuration, I don't want a hotrod, but a wagon with a relatively modern drive train would be what I'm looking for. A SBC engine would be logical, run of the mill, but logical. I'd like to drop my T-18 and terra low transfer case in it, but everybody seems to want an automatic. The 350 isn't great, the 400 is very solid, but it likes to move forward so brakes need to be upgraded, the 700R is an overdrive transmission and well thought of. I'd very much like to go with one of the newer computer controlled engines, but the technology scares me to death. So many variables, what is the right combination?

I guess it all depends on what you want to do with it. Are you talking about taking your transfer case & T18 out of your 5 ? I wouldn't want to do that. I would see how it works with what it has first also. The TH 350 is a pretty good transmission but you could upgrade that and also engine later if needed and work on what is needed first while thinking on the drive train. No doubt a lot to think about when pulling that trigger :)

I'm embarrassed to say that my T-18/Dana 20 are still sitting in the garage. I shift it about every time I walk by, like a darned kid would do. The T-15/20 I have are running well and I keep thinking about getting a Wagon. The good weather is slipping by so I should Git'er done (installing it in the CJ) while I can.

What I want to do with it. Well, I need a vehicle I can lock, I'd like one I can sleep in if necessary, I really don't need a hard core crawler, ridiculously poor mileage would be bad. I would like to lift it a little, and I mean a little for taller than stock tires. I'd like to be able to add AC. An open CJ doesn't really need AC, but a closed vehicle like a Wagon needs some cooling. Decent, but period appropriate seating would be nice.

Last edited:
Does it run?
LG

He doesn't say it doesn't run, I'm trying to contact him to ask all the important questions. It looks good enough, buildable anyways. Needs paint and some interior work for starters. I like the ambulance doors, but a tailgate adds versatility. My CJ has some cool factor, but a 1959 Willys Wagon is cool just sitting in the yard.

How far is he from you?
Big plus if it's run'n. :poke:
With it's age-You won't have to deal with the SMOG nazies will you?
LG

Its up in the Phoenix area. Big plus is right. Smog should be no problem in a '59. That is as long as it isn't smoking like a diesel and is in reasonably good running order.

I've called and left a message and E-mailed him. At this point I've heard nothing from him. The thing is probably sold but not removed from the listing.

OR-He changed his mind about sell'n it. :eek:
LG

I wish you luck in getting it. It sounds like someone has swapped a Chevy half ton truck drive train in it but they all had 350 in them. I have had a couple of them and they are very solid for what you want to use it for.

Just got a call from the guy. It's been sitting for quite some time, with no gas in it. He did dump a few gallons in to fire it up to sell. Needs interior, paint and steering work. The good news is it's got an entire Chevy drive train, including the axles. A very decent start. And he will drag it down to Tucson from Phoenix for me. That's some serious money right there.

I'm a little worried or concerned or maybe unsure about the pathetic low range in the NP205 transfer case. Also the seller painted the body in primer because the PO didn't sand the previous paint job and it was pealing. Pealing paint isn't good at all.

Rattle can camouflage paint job? :)

I just might take a trip up there to check it out this weekend.

I'm a little worried or concerned or maybe unsure about the pathetic low range in the NP205 transfer case.
Perfect candidate for an NP203/205 doubler...

Also the seller painted the body in primer because the PO didn't sand the previous paint job and it was pealing. Pealing paint isn't good at all.
Patina....???

If the base metal is in good condition, then I wouldn't be too concerned. Heck, you live in AZ. If I brought that up to MI, that old steel would turn to powder in a few months...

The low range in the NP205 surprised me. We deal with much lower low ranges in our transfer cases, even the stock ones. Even my Dana 20 with Terra Low gears in it is almost twice as low as the NP205, even in stock configuration the Dana 20 has much lower gearing.

After reading up a little on the Doubler. It would be greater if it were also an over-drive. The gear splitting aspect is very appealing.

The problem with he paint is that he sprayed it with primer to protect the metal, for me it would have been better to leave it alone. Unfortunately the porous nature of primer doesn't stop rust.

You are right, metal here lasts and this looks like an Arizona jeep with no visible rust. That is why he bought it in the first place.

I'm hot one minute and cold the next minute on the ambulance doors. The uniqueness is very appealing, but the simple versatility of a tailgate is undeniable. If the load is to long, open the tailgate and tie the load down.

I've been scouring the For Sale adds on the internet. There are some wagons out there that are nearly finished for about the same money. Some need some transmission work and some need engine work, but that's all doable for most of us at home.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks