U-Joint Style Steering Coupler

U-Joint Style Steering Coupler
Yep.
You have to have flex/movement in the system somewhere or else....

Arrived. Smaller than I anticipated so clearance *shouldn't* be an issue;

3.25" long and the center of the joint is 1-9/16" from the spline end. 1-9/16" in diameter. Measured with just a ruler and poor eye sight, not with a caliper.

Won't be able to try and install for a week or two.

Attachments

• IMG_20150717_074812.jpg
    IMG_20150717_074812.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_20150717_074856.jpg
    IMG_20150717_074856.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20150717_075013.jpg
    IMG_20150717_075013.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Was hoping to work on it this weekend but think I may have found a snag in my plan. Since it's my DD I'm trying to minimize my down time by planning ahead.

I've never removed or worked on the bell coupling so can someone confirm if the attached photo is what the end of the steering shaft looks like that slides into the coupling bell?

If so, the U-joint I ordered is for a 1" DD and not round. I'd have to cut this part of the shaft off, I believe, to make it work. Would the shaft safely extend out another inch or so to make this work?

Attachments

• DSC_0057.jpg
    DSC_0057.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 147
Yes, that is what the shaft will look like, only the pin should be centered and a press fit; that pin looks loose and obviously has moved.

Don't know about your other shaft question.

Well, the coupler wouldn't work because of the round end of the OEM steering shaft. If I had cut off the round end down to the DD then it would have been extended too far. I wasn't able to locate a 1" round coupler to try.

I had ordered an Omix Steering shaft with U Joints on both ends ahead of time in anticipation of this and got it installed. After removing the old shaft, found the upper U Joint to have a slight play in it as well so I would have wanted to replace it anyways.
Tight steering now. Just a minor, 1/16-1/8" play which I think is either the column or the steering box but within enough of a tolerance for me.

Hope I never have to replace the steering box. PO welded the bracket to the frame. Too much fun cutting that thing off...

Amazon.com: Omix-Ada 18024.02 Power Steering Shaft: Automotive

Thanks for the update, I think you are glad that is done with for the time being anyway. Interesting issue with the steering box though.

So nice being able to change lanes on a highway around a curve and not feel like you are making a suicide attempt.

A scrambler and I formed a convoy this morning. I got a smile on my face as I watched him try to stay straight with the play in his steering.

With the notorious loose steering, I've always thought of CJs as being the first self-driving vehicles. It's the input of the destination information that is difficult.

So nice being able to change lanes on a highway around a curve and not feel like you are making a suicide attempt.

A scrambler and I formed a convoy this morning. I got a smile on my face as I watched him try to stay straight with the play in his steering.

With the notorious loose steering, I've always thought of CJs as being the first self-driving vehicles. It's the input of the destination information that is difficult.

Hey Neuner!
I know this post is a few months old but saw that you had a borgenson shaft and u joints on your jeep. I am looking to replace my CJ7 stock non-tilt floor shifter column with an after market gm style column with tilt, shifter on the column and a 1" DD shaft.

My question is was the borgensen shaft and u-joints compatible with the Saginaw power steering lower shaft? And the other end needs to be 1" DD to connect to the new column.
I've included pictures. Please let me know if you understand my questions and if someone makes the required shaft joint combo.

Also, can I just cut off the splined joint on my stock shaft and replace it with a 1" DD Ujoint?
Thanks !:p

Attachments

• CAM01382.jpg
    CAM01382.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 221
  • CAM01385.jpg
    CAM01385.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 239
  • CAM01410.jpg
    CAM01410.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 275
Mine is a cheaper Omix-Ada Shaft. It installed easily once I had the steering column pulled back. I do have a tilting steering column. I believe it is OEM for mine since it's a Laredo version?

Not familiar with the '76 year or what steering column you're putting in and what the shaft type is. If it's GM, is there it's a good chance it's the same? The 1" DD is just the intermediary shaft that the U-joints connect to on mine. My column had a splined output shaft and was not 1"DD.

I'd say to count the splines and make sure they match up but unfortunately that gets confusing because of how the manufacturer/product description describes the count. The saginaw box input shaft counts only the splines used minus the flat tab part. The U-joint and drive-shaft manufacturers count the splines all the way around including where they normally would be for the flat tab part. I just had to trust the website I purchased from that it was the right product for my application and that the diameters were correct.

Sorry I can't be anymore help.

Mine is a cheaper Omix-Ada Shaft. It installed easily once I had the steering column pulled back. I do have a tilting steering column. I believe it is OEM for mine since it's a Laredo version?

Not familiar with the '76 year or what steering column you're putting in and what the shaft type is. If it's GM, is there it's a good chance it's the same? The 1" DD is just the intermediary shaft that the U-joints connect to on mine. My column had a splined output shaft and was not 1"DD.

I'd say to count the splines and make sure they match up but unfortunately that gets confusing because of how the manufacturer/product description describes the count. The saginaw box input shaft counts only the splines used minus the flat tab part. The U-joint and drive-shaft manufacturers count the splines all the way around including where they normally would be for the flat tab part. I just had to trust the website I purchased from that it was the right product for my application and that the diameters were correct.

Sorry I can't be anymore help.

Hey Neuner
Thanks for your response. Sorry it took me a while to follow up. However, I decided against the column with the did shaft and instead of bought a 1989 Jeep grand wagoneer column. It has tilt and shifter on the column. :) Its also a perfect match to my lower steering shaft.. Same amount of splines.
Only issue is it sits further back in the dash.
Would you know of an aftermarket column bracket that allows me to slide the column towards the driver about two inches?
Ive included pictures.

Thanks for your advice. :notworthy:

Attachments

• CAM01741.jpg
    CAM01741.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 168
  • CAM01748.jpg
    CAM01748.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 139
  • CAM01795.jpg
    CAM01795.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 141

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks