U-Joint Style Steering Coupler

U-Joint Style Steering Coupler

Neuner

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
"Oscar":1985 CJ7, 4.0 '98 OBDII, T177, RE 4.5" lift w/ CV Jnts, Dana 300, Dana 30 and AMC 20, 33" BFG KO2s, Raptor Lined Interior and Rustoleum BBQ exterior.
After investigating some minor free play in my steering, I found the OEM Steering Coupler connection to be the culprit. I really don't want to replace it with the same or buy a Borgenson Shaft. I would like to find just a U-joint coupler? Thought I found one for around $70 but lost it. Also not positive on what specs I should look for.

Mine has power-steering with the OEM gear box.

Attachments

• IMG_1852.jpg
    IMG_1852.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,617
To me-The weak points are those set screws and jam nuts. :confused:
Not sure I would trust it over the OEM set up.
LG

Well that looks like a Borgeson to me. I would take a closer look and make sure that the set screws are not loose, like Lumpy suggested. Go easy on the one that goes right into the steering shaft. If it is the coupler joint, you might give Borgeson a call for a replacement. It could also be another brand aftermarket steering shaft so check for any labeling.

Sorry guys but I think I confused everyone. The pic isn't of my current setup. It is of a Borgeson lower end that I found on the internet and I'd like to have a U-Joint set up like that without having to buy their whole unit.

I currently have the OEM Coupler installed. I had found something like it but lost the link and can't locate it again.

I have seen oem replacement couplers at the big box 4wd outfits. I wish I had purchased one of those instead of all those of set screws.

Sorry guys but I think I confused everyone. The pic isn't of my current setup. It is of a Borgeson lower end that I found on the internet and I'd like to have a U-Joint set up like that without having to buy their whole unit.

I currently have the OEM Coupler installed. I had found something like it but lost the link and can't locate it again.

What's wrong with your OEM stuff?
LG

:)
Set Screws ?...........never seen nor heard of one fail , totally acceptable DOT approved method of holding the U-joint in place. That is on a Standard Double D shaft and there is no push / pull torsional effect on the joint as the shaft floats & moves laterally anyway......
That is what all the aftermarket vendors use.......Has to be several million of those on the road right now.........When I install them I do put a small drill point on the shaft that allows the set screw to bite in a little and also use some Red Lock tight on the threads!

:D:D:D:D

I would remove the set screws and use hex bolts that are drilled to be safety wired. ;)
Do you have a link to said DOT cert's. for that setup in the picture?
LG

I would remove the set screws and use hex bolts that are drilled to be safety wired. ;)
Do you have a link to said DOT cert's. for that setup in the picture?
LG

:)

LG
Call Borgeson's , Ididit or Flaming River...........OK only for use on the Double D shaft as shown........In this age of Money hungry ambulance chasing attorneys do you really think these guys could sell this stuff for steering if it were not approved?

:D:D:D:D

Yup-what I thought :rolleyes:
There's no DOT spec for lift kits either-How many of those are sold every minute of the day?
:D:D:D

LG

Last edited:
I changed mine out years ago one of the best things I've done, The factory or should I say the aftermarket couplers are junk.
Just buy a good coupler with the DD on one end and the correct number spline on the other. (I forgot what the box has) I welded the DD end and set screw the splined end.
There is a plastic pin In the shaft that you drill out, and than the shaft can move in and out. It will take some work to get it moving, it's been there for 30 years.

O'Dog-Is there any way you could post a couple of pictures of this install?
LG

Here's mine.
22ce4bef024a4a6ff69f9e1d32e98839.jpg
26fbd39ead986210ef660791a008e4af.jpg

05fca254f884524e3951b594982f110f.jpg

I found mine for less than $170 but I forget where.

And yes, it really tightened up my steering slope.

Wooly

Can you lube the u-joint?
LG

Did a search(my 'puter foo sucs at times:rolleyes:) and could not see if they have a set-up for my OEM, PS set up.
LG

My only Jeep is the one in the picture to the left.
Steering is stock/OEM power steering from AMC.
LG

I'd really like to replace my bottom steering coupler. Why? Not because its sloppy, I can't seem to find a boot that lasts any tme at all. One of these U-joints would take care of that problem.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks