Tie Rod and Drag Link hitting each other

Tie Rod and Drag Link hitting each other
I don't think the springs are the problem I would just worry about getting it steering right.

the HD draglink and tie rod would be a good idea over going stock. If you offroad it at all than the flip would be a good idea also but I'm not sure the flip works with stock height springs, it works well with a lift though.

the HD draglink and tie rod would be a good idea over going stock. If you offroad it at all than the flip would be a good idea also but I'm not sure the flip works with stock height springs, it works well with a lift though.

So what do we think is the culprit for the bent tie rod and drag link? Just the oversized tires? I know the steering stabilizer is making solid contact with the differential. It barely clears even when the wheels are straight forward (post #31, img_0741).

Right. So I'm gonna be getting a crash course in steering overhaul... We're thinking: HD drag link, replacement tie rod (and flip it), new steering stabilizer. Should do new springs front and rear too?

:)TXag88 As I mentioned earlier it looks like the bent drag link and tie rod need to go. They are not helping you cause.......
There are aftermarket people out there making them or you can buy DOM tubing and make your own if you have the equipment available.........
As far as the tie rod flip.........it will work but I would first just look at it yourself and imagine what the new relationship of those parts would be if they were on top of the spindle?
The drag link should be down hill from the steering box or near level with the plane of the tie rod.............hard to tell from here, that would be your call.

:D:D:D:D

So what do we think is the culprit for the bent tie rod and drag link? Just the oversized tires? I know the steering stabilizer is making solid contact with the differential. It barely clears even when the wheels are straight forward (post #31, img_0741).

:)TXag88, Yep big tires and rocks bend tie rods..............I assume you have Power steering also?

:)TXag88, Yep big tires and rocks bend tie rods..............I assume you have Power steering also?

I'm the third owner of the jeep. No idea how many rocks this thing has seen. Just got it about a month ago. It does have power steering.

I know the discussion goes round and round (pun intended) regarding oversize tires and their merits/downfalls. Should the 33" tires stay?

I'm the third owner of the jeep. No idea how many rocks this thing has seen. Just got it about a month ago. It does have power steering.

I know the discussion goes round and round (pun intended) regarding oversize tires and their merits/downfalls. Should the 33" tires stay?

:)Only you can decide that.........if you happy with the gear ratio's ( as part of the tire height) and like the height and ground clearance the tires afford you then sure 33" for most CJ's are a great tire.

Just really depends on what your going to do with your Jeep,

And Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the welcome and all the advice! Time to go shopping....
:pissed:

It's hard telling what the PO did to bend both the links. I ran 33's with the stock links on mild trails for a long time with no problems. Once I started to play in the rocks I had to go HD stuff. But I think HD is all ways a good idea.

13707d1364860664-tie-rod-drag-link-hitting-each-other-img_0759.jpg

13696d1364860364-tie-rod-drag-link-hitting-each-other-img_0743.jpg

something came up and hit the steering linkages. I don't think those bends were from the tires going over big rocks or bumps. They obviously need to be replaced soon.
I don't think the springs need to be replaced unless you want a lift.
Don't flip the tie rod unless you get a lift.
Oh and make sure the stabilizer is installed so it doesn't hit the diff cover.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks