Tie Rod and Drag Link hitting each other

Tie Rod and Drag Link hitting each other

txag88

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ-5 258 I6 Stock, trans, tcase, and diffs
2012 Ford F150 Lariat 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
I'm very new to the Jeep world, and I've never really tinkered with any steering components at all. I'm in a 1978 CJ5, and every time I turn the wheel more than 60% left or right I hear a popping noise. After closer inspection of all the linkage up front, I noticed some scars on the tie rod from the drag link adjustment pieces digging into it as they pass each other. I'm not sure about the lift. It looks stock. Has 31"s. They seem to toe in a little, and the steering is loose as would be expected on a 78 with 95k miles that has probably never really been tinkered with. Any advice? Anybody seen this issue before?

If true that you have no lift, I'm thinking the previous owner masked/repaired/corrected other suspension issues by adding the drag link. Original springs are so flat don't really need a drag link.

When you adjust the steering linkage the adjustment sleeve may interfere. You can move the clamps on the adjustment sleeve so they clear.
images.ashx

Check out this thread for your steering: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f99/troubleshooting-correcting-your-steering-4106/

just a thought, but does he maybe have the tie rod and the drag link in the opposite holes of the steering arm? Not sure if that's possible. The drag link should be in the front hole. And your sure the tie rod or drag link aren't bent slightly?

I'm very new to the Jeep world, and I've never really tinkered with any steering components at all. I'm in a 1978 CJ5, and every time I turn the wheel more than 60% left or right I hear a popping noise. After closer inspection of all the linkage up front, I noticed some scars on the tie rod from the drag link adjustment pieces digging into it as they pass each other. I'm not sure about the lift. It looks stock. Has 31"s. They seem to toe in a little, and the steering is loose as would be expected on a 78 with 95k miles that has probably never really been tinkered with. Any advice? Anybody seen this issue before?

Like Mentioned.............a few "pictures would be worth a thousand words"!

If true that you have no lift, I'm thinking the previous owner masked/repaired/corrected other suspension issues by adding the drag link. Original springs are so flat don't really need a drag link.
It would be kinda hard to steer without one.:D

Im not sure what you mean by this. Your going to have a drag link no matter what. If you dont you cant actually steer. ;) Maybe you were going for steering stabilizer?

Id love to see some pics of your set up including the front shackles. Questions will get answered after we see a couple things. :)

I wonder if it had a lift with a drop pitman arm and the po took the lift out before he sold it and didn't remove the pitman arm.

Its pretty easy to distinguish a drop pitman arm from a stocker. Stock is flat. If there is any type of stagger or step in it its a drop. Again a pic and we'll know. :)
I wonder if it had a lift with a drop pitman arm and the po took the lift out before he sold it and didn't remove the pitman arm.

Or maybe an aftermarket HD tierod and draglink, I know my 1.25 dia. one comes real close to hitting.:confused:
Pic's please.

how about if the steering box was changed out for a FSJ?? the Pittman arm is longer.

I think something is bent.:cool:

I also think that until we see pictures we will never know.:D

11630-cj5-front-shock-relocate-cj5-flipped-tie-rod-left.jpg

The tie rod ends pivot. With that movement it is normal for the drag link adjustment sleeve to tick the tie rod adjustment sleeve.
They don't bang into eachother, do they?

Photos as requested. Now keep in mind I'm not 100% positive my vocabulary is correct. And while I was under the front end getting these pictures I noticed that the tie rod also hits the front diffy when it turns to the extreme left and right. This is probably more likely the culprit of the noise...

Attachments

• IMG_0720.jpg
    IMG_0720.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0724.jpg
    IMG_0724.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0725.jpg
    IMG_0725.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 139
OK so far we have no pictures of the Pittman arm or the proximity of the tie rod to the differential. Generally I have found the most common cause of front end popping noises is spring shifting between leafs. do you have power steering??

OK so far we have no pictures of the Pittman arm or the proximity of the tie rod to the differential.?
:agree: or pic's of what/where it is hitting.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks