Tie Rod and Drag Link hitting each other

Tie Rod and Drag Link hitting each other
Humm. . . . .:confused:

11630-cj5-front-shock-relocate-cj5-flipped-tie-rod-left.jpg

The tie rod ends pivot. With that movement it is normal for the drag link adjustment sleeve to tick the tie rod adjustment sleeve.
They don't bang into eachother, do they?

Busa:

Are those spring plates on backwards?

My shocks are behind the axle. Sway bars are in the front. :D

Busa:

:)Well better yet that is an early closed knuckle front axle. Not withstanding the shock mount which is forward tells me that's and early frame also. Check out the welded on caliper brackets!

:D:D:D:D

Busa:

:)Well better yet that is an early closed knuckle front axle. Not withstanding the shock mount which is forward tells me that's and early frame also. Check out the welded on caliper brackets!

That's not my CJ. My shocks are behind the axle. As Tarry said it looks like an early CJ.

Yuup,
Early cj 5 with some work. Shock location stock ,no sway bars on these jeeps.Tie rods moved to top mounting, also.disc brakes.Nice work and good improvements.
mike

Sorry everyone. I've been out to sea for a week. The first picture is evidence of the drag link adjustment pieces scraping against the tie rod (see the scarring on the rod). The second picture is of the tie rod actually resting against the differential... And the third and fourth are side views of my shackles.

Sorry everyone. I've been out to sea for a week. The first picture is evidence of the drag link adjustment pieces scraping against the tie rod (see the scarring on the rod). The second picture is of the tie rod actually resting against the differential... And the third and fourth are side views of my shackles.

:)TXag88............If you read all the responses it looks like you have an early front end under your Jeep......which is more like a Dana 27 or Dana 25......Couple that with a larger than stock diameter wise Tie Rod and that's where the hitting is probably coming from........If that was a Dana 30 Front axle you would have a little more clearance.............some better photos from the front and side might also give us some other solution's to your problem.

:)TXag88............If you read all the responses it looks like you have an early front end under your Jeep......which is more like a Dana 27 or Dana 25......Couple that with a larger than stock diameter wise Tie Rod and that's where the hitting is probably coming from........If that was a Dana 30 Front axle you would have a little more clearance.............some better photos from the front and side might also give us some other solution's to your problem.

Tarry, I'm pretty sure y'all are all talking about a picture that Busa put up. That's not my jeep. I only put up the four on my previous post...

Tarry, I'm pretty sure y'all are all talking about a picture that Busa put up. That's not my jeep. I only put up the four on my previous post...

:)TXag88...........Wow don't know how that got in there....Ok sorry about that...............Let's start this over again....Can you get some better pictures.........from the front and also looking down the tie rod towards the passengers side.........including both spindles where the tie rod attaches and also the drag link coming from the Pittman arm............it was really hard to see much from what you sent...........have you done a tie rod end flip on your spindles?..........meaning putting the TR ends on top rather than coming in from the bottom?

Some hopefully better photos attached. After closer inspection I'm 90% sure the popping/banging I'm hearing is the steering gear contacting the differential. You can see it much better in these new photos. I do think there is some scarring on the tie rod, but when I move the wheel left and right I cant really tell if it's actually hitting the drag link or not... I'll go back out and get the photos Tarry wants now. I can't figure out how to get these pictures to be any bigger than a thumbnail and be small enough for the forum to allow me to upload them

Attachments

• IMG_0738.JPG
    IMG_0738.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0739.JPG
    IMG_0739.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0741.JPG
    IMG_0741.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0740.JPG
    IMG_0740.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 189
Some hopefully better photos attached. After closer inspection I'm 90% sure the popping/banging I'm hearing is the steering gear contacting the differential. You can see it much better in these new photos. I do think there is some scarring on the tie rod, but when I move the wheel left and right I cant really tell if it's actually hitting the drag link or not... I'll go back out and get the photos Tarry wants now. I can't figure out how to get these pictures to be any bigger than a thumbnail and be small enough for the forum to allow me to upload them

:)TXag88...........those are a little better.......looks like your steering stabilizer is also in the wrong location.........first off the natural geometry of the steering will upon full left or right creep to the rear so that the tie rod is at it's closest point to the rear end cover when the wheel is turned to full stop in either direction............I asked earlier if you had done a tie rod flip? that would also help as by moving the tie rod up a little higher it does not get as close since the front end cover slopes up & back at about the same point..........also it looks like your Drag Link is bent?.............keep the pictures coming the more we have to look at the better we can understand. Need a picture of the Pittman arm and the angle coming from it to your spindle.

Ok, here are a few more; more to come.

Attachments

• IMG_0743.jpg
    IMG_0743.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 839
  • IMG_0744.jpg
    IMG_0744.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0747.jpg
    IMG_0747.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0748.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 219
Txag88, those aftermarket steering shocks are kind of tricky to install, a lot of guys just trash them anyway along with the stabilizer bar after high lift springs are installed. I see how that drag link is bent, another one of the CJs weak points. Good aftermarket one are available. Thanks for sending in those pics.

Even more coming. Thinking spring sag, extreme angle on pitman arm.

Attachments

• IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0751.jpg
    IMG_0751.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0755.jpg
    IMG_0755.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0756.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 153
Last two below...

Attachments

• IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0759.jpg
    IMG_0759.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 418
Txag88, those aftermarket steering shocks are kind of tricky to install, a lot of guys just trash them anyway along with the stabilizer bar after high lift springs are installed. I see how that drag link is bent, another one of the CJs weak points. Good aftermarket one are available. Thanks for sending in those pics.
Nothing aftermarket installed that I'm aware of. I definitely don't have high lift springs

Nothing aftermarket installed that I'm aware of. I definitely don't have high lift springs
The steering damper is after market and it looks like both bars are bent.

Both the draglink and tierod are bent, that has to be the problem.
It also looks like the steering stabilizer mount is hitting the diff. cover.

Right. So I'm gonna be getting a crash course in steering overhaul... We're thinking: HD drag link, replacement tie rod (and flip it), new steering stabilizer. Should do new springs front and rear too?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks