Build Thread The '80 FrankenJeep frame off reassembly

Build Thread The '80 FrankenJeep frame off reassembly
So have you looked at your work since you sobered up yet? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So have you looked at your work since you sobered up yet? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HA - Gluing up the other side marker as I type....... Should have em back on the Jeep in an hour or so......

Sent via Tapatalk from a pending gorgeous weekend

It is really like watching the Kardashian's....

Unfortunately I’ve never watched them so I’ll be taking your word for it.......

Sent via Tapatalk from the garage

Unfortunately I’ve never watched them so I’ll be taking your word for it.......

Sent via Tapatalk from the garage

That would be to much like working to watch them, or maybe nauseous. Nice work ! Looked like you and the help maybe had a couple to many. But hey it's the weekend. Actually 5 day holiday weekend here so lots of brew.

You continue to be the zen master of repurposing! If my IPad would only load the bowing/we’re not worthy emoji!

You continue to be the zen master of repurposing! If my IPad would only load the bowing/we’re not worthy emoji!

That’s what happens when you’re cheap. Cool parts and some time pay off pretty good. Even if it is on a cherry red mall crawler LOL

Sent via Tapatalk from behind a nice, bbl aged stout. Forgive my spelling LOL

I was referring to their propensity for going under the knife. Jenner did a heck of a job on his headlights...

After I had that explained to me, it was twice as funny from my perspective.......

Sent telepathetically from the couch....... bypassing Tapatalk

Well, was gonna update the “new seats” - but I never posted

One of the two things I wanted to do when I bought this Jeep several years ago was replace the seats. Still haven’t done that. I DID however hit up the pick n save near the house with a neighbor, and got a nice set of seats out of a Jeep Liberty for 75 bucks. They’re gray, cloth, and will look nice once installed. I’m just hoping they aren’t too wide at the shoulder and hit the roll bar - we’ll see. Best part is it was a right hand drive for rural mail delivery, so my seat has rarely ever been used. They were pretty scroungy lookin, but cleaned up nicely. One’s clean, the other still filthy

065ecfd4437bde99f4b52ff95b7e95ad.jpg

In removing the extra wiring and stuff (airbag controls and :dung:) out from under the seat, I noticed a wire bundle coming out of the center of the passenger seat cushion. No worries, I thought. I’ll just jack outta there with the rest of it. Anyone ever see what’s in the pressure pad that tells the car whether or not someone is sitting in the seat? As soon as I cut thru the wire loom, I felt like Jed Clampett.... that :dung: started oozing out of the cut tube (that someone decided needed to be disguised as a wire run...) and it took me a second to realize I had just opened the gates of hell. Best I can figure it was a liquid silicone with the consistency of maple syrup, and it’s 100 times worse than anti-seize! After dribbling that s**t on everything for a couple days, I finally gave in and tore down the lower portion of the seat and removed the stooooopid pouch.

Passenger side is ready to throw in, but I’m gonna hafta extend the top of the driver side risers to get the rear bolts in place.

Sent telepathetically from the couch....... bypassing Tapatalk

That might be the rocket fuel for the ejection seats. :)

Ya know, the way folks are complaining about being bored....... I should be thru all this stuff already. Anyways, got the driver’s seat swapped out....... feels good, height is about an inch higher than the old one, and it doesn’t look too outta place. Here’s the old passenger side

719757b3a470f57c56e9285418e1df78.jpg

Here’s the newish driver side

7987521e3f2ff7f3d2faaabd728d1fc9.jpg

And while I was at it, I picked up a small powered subwoofer to add to the mix...... hid it under the seat. The combo of the wireless and the 4 speakers just don’t put out any bass. This should fill in the bottom end without thumping my neighbors..........

Sent from right here.......

Last edited:
That wheel is just to flashy. Almost can't even see the seat with all that bling. Looking good.

Better? LOL

24cc5d3f444ee21244905aa1a2eabdba.jpg

Nice find on the seats... look good with the gray paint inside the hard top.

Thanks - Wasn’t thrilled with the overall shape, but they are very comfy and being Jeep seats, the color was spot on.

Looks like your steering wheel has been accused of a crime...

Andy is easily distracted by shiny stuff....

Wow that really helps. Yeah really nice seats for sure.

Hey, glad I could help....... Anything for you, man

Yea that's me, just like a barracuda watching a diver with a big chrome watch on his wrist thinking it's just another tasty morsel

Well - Owning a CJ can be very distracting to working from home...... wait, what?

I broke down and ordered a new soft top yesterday. I’ve had a set of YJ soft top hardware sittin out back for more years than I care to recall, waiting for this. Surprisingly, the only parts that didn’t age well were the pivot bolt brackets on the rear bolt. Grew a fairly healthy case of surface rust. Broke the set down to components, scrubbed everything with soapy steel wool, the hit everything with Duplicate-color Bumper and Trim paint. Sticks pretty good. Here’s a few before and afters.....

0bafe55b9e46cad60b660f1253863c33.jpg

5100fc2645cbc977fc67c43485ab99b2.jpg

e6738d8d0f8afc77b743cb186389cf65.jpg

df0d8f2a0b5cb94182a17e0963cf3296.jpg

8e9f86e59d72fb6cb0405e3d8e2303be.jpg

5c4a753c6838a2daa818f12a6e083702.jpg

0373155331dbf97417d07ee143bf6583.jpg

Haven’t put the snaps back on yet, but that won’t take but a second. The best part of all this is the top. Having not dealt with a new top since the mid 80’s, I’m used to em being a smooth, black vinyl - YJ tops are the black denim - never really cared for the denim as well. When getting ready to order the top, I noticed Quadratec added a special edition YJ top for their 30th anniversary - made out of the true black fabric top like the JKs. Figured what the heck - so I ordered on of those......Supposed to be here today...

Update on the subwoofer...... Works exactly as I had hoped. Isn’t obnoxious, just adds the missing bass. Now, I have it turned all the way down, so it may have a little obnoxiousness in reserve, but I’d rather not find out. In mounting it, about the only place I could find to mount it without taking up floor space was under the driver’s seat.

69e6e24e8806e7986bb6008e39bfefdb.jpg

What could happen, I said...... Let’s just say I have a newfound respect for a few of my favorite songs..... Van Halen’s Hot for Teacher feels like I’m sittin on the carburetor.... And more than once sitting at a light the drums will hit and I’m thinkin someone just drove into the back of the Jeep LOL. Woke it right up.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks