Build Thread The '80 FrankenJeep frame off reassembly

I wish they made one....... And the pitiful part of this whole deal is I had a new one in my hand when I tore the heater box open. The one in there already looked to be in extremely good shape, so I reused it and returned the new one.....

Can someone hand me my dunce cap, please??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew better...... I have no excuse.......

I can’t remember if I bought a new one when I did my motor up grade but it’s ok because my blower motor only has a few hours of run time on it since I installed it years ago and it quit working on me so I eventually will be pulling mine as well........

Maybe we can have a race to see who can procrastinate the longest lol

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to pull my heater when I do the motor swap and get it working, guess I will just replace the core too. I may need the heater because I cant get my kids to leave Kansas and move to Texas :)

Maybe we can have a race to see who can procrastinate the longest lol

LMAO - I’d really just as soon you win that one..... Seeing how I will be slowly pumping coolant out thru the heater box, I’ll take the loss

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to pull my heater when I do the motor swap and get it working, guess I will just replace the core too. I may need the heater because I cant get my kids to leave Kansas and move to Texas :)

Without A/C, a heater comes in real handy to defrost the windshield..... better go ahead and swap it

Without A/C, a heater comes in real handy to defrost the windshield..... better go ahead and swap it

I will replace it for sure, I am also going to add a Jeep Air a/c unit for a/c only.

I do live in Texas where it does get a bit warm from time to time and my donor motor has the compressor still on it. :D

There were several days A/C would have been nice..... but my soft top is far from not leaky air wise LOL. I’d be cooling everyone behind me...

There were several days A/C would have been nice..... but my soft top is far from not leaky air wise LOL. I’d be cooling everyone behind me...

My top has shrunk across the windshield so it leaks pretty bad, it even fills the panels in the doors full of water when it rains but I will fix that after the first of the year :D

I ordered the heater core from NAPA last night - to be delivered to their store since they don’t do online payments at that store..... What the heck?? Said it may be in by Thurs. - They called me at noon and said it was in, so I grabbed it after work.

a51215981fcf369a63aa2e5a0e05e258.jpg

It’s aluminum, but at least it wasn’t made in China. So the race was on. Decided to see if I could get it swapped in tonight.

abf35aa6b84c2383454bb633d4cff30c.jpg

Not counting the check ride afterwards to look for leaks, took me just over 2 hours and 45 minutes. Still wondering what I forgot to put back in there LOL

I ordered the heater core from NAPA last night - to be delivered to their store since they don’t do online payments at that store..... What the heck?? Said it may be in by Thurs. - They called me at noon and said it was in, so I grabbed it after work.

a51215981fcf369a63aa2e5a0e05e258.jpg

It’s aluminum, but at least it wasn’t made in China. So the race was on. Decided to see if I could get it swapped in tonight.

abf35aa6b84c2383454bb633d4cff30c.jpg

Not counting the check ride afterwards to look for leaks, took me just over 2 hours and 45 minutes. Still wondering what I forgot to put back in there LOL

dang that's giving me hope to stop procrastinating on replacing my blower motor, i am not looking forward to it

a plus on the new heater core its lighter than the old one and will transfer heat better as well

Ya - I was gonna take Friday off and do it then. I figured I’d get a jump on it tonight. That also included moving the amp out of the way as well. I didn’t even have to loosen the upper plenum. And the dang box popped right back where it was supposed to - I was shocked.

thats good I don't want to have to drop everything either

Ordered a set of center caps Tues night - Got em yesterday. Got the satin black steel caps from Pro Comp.... didn't want the logos, so I hit em with a heat gun and popped em of. Since my front hubs are a charcoal gray, I painted these a similar color. I no longer have access to the 3-D printer at the middle school but a coworker has three of em. Gonna do a nice black center medallion with the AMC log on it. I taped off where the medallion will go and hit it some paint. Will try to install em tomorrow

eeb1e60ea63ea68c1fabf3c7d1ba3a53.jpg

3318bd4824f6ab7c5f0c60644499d0f9.jpg

6d788862cb57af80152687ee8fa41682.jpg

c50d4d27628016b0edb8820b47f6ec52.jpg

Please use this link to purchase an annual memberships. The site's survival depends on it... https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/payments.php

Along with the center caps (no, I haven't installed em yet) I ordered a new liftgate gasket - mine old, flat, split, and leaky. The Fairchild made gaskets fit like a glove taking less than 10 minutes. It took longer to remove all the old installation pins that pulled out of the old gasket than to place the new one. That was phase 1...... easy peezy.

Phase 2 was a different story. Closing the lift gate on a new gasket was a lot more fun than I expected. Almost had to get my neighbor to come help push. Passenger side was a bit harder than the driver's side. I usually park at the top of my driveway, and in trying to get one of the latches to grab, the Jeep started to roll toward the street. Ran around and put some more push on the parking brake, then finally got it. This is a good hot weather swap - I'll remember that the next time I do this......... sure, whatever.

Please use this link to purchase an annual memberships. The site's survival depends on it... https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/payments.php

My gasket is still in pretty good shape, does have a split though. Wondering where you got it ? Is yours for the wrangler tailgate or CJ ?

My gasket is still in pretty good shape, does have a split though. Wondering where you got it ? Is yours for the wrangler tailgate or CJ ?

It’s a CJ hard top. Ordered it from Quadratec. Fairchild makes pretty good stuff.

It’s a CJ hard top. Ordered it from Quadratec. Fairchild makes pretty good stuff.

I went back and re-read, I was thinking tailgate.........

I went back and re-read, I was thinking tailgate.........

If I’m not mistaken, they made the new seal for that as well.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom