Build Thread The $120 Jeep CJ7 build thread

Build Thread The $120 Jeep CJ7 build thread
Gonna have a wide footprint with fill size axles, and 10" wheels.

IMG_0480.JPG

I decided to put the tired mount and bumper on the swing out while I was out there. I left the bumper loose. Not shure where it will hit the tailgate on the YJ tub.

10w.JPG

10w.JPG

IMG_0482.JPG

By the way, plenty of clearance for the BF Goodrich KO2 35x12.50s I plan on running.

IMG_0499.JPG

Fantastic wheel design you got. I am still holding on to my Centerline Outlaws from the early eighties. The bare brushed aluminum finish is timeless and not as popular anymore. I use that corrosive and dangerous acid to clean them every so often, and they look like new and flawless every time.

The CJ bolt pattern with the large hub hole yields Limited wheel choices. The need for larger wheel offsets makes it even worse. The Method brand is offering some decent choices with modern spoked designs, perfect if you want to show off your discs on all corners. They heard us, the “set in our ways” old timers.

I also find your “reverse” wrapped leaf springs interesting. Very favorable for your SOA.

Think that offset is going to look cool. Will you have to worry about inspection sticker or needing fender flares?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic wheel design you got. I am still holding on to my Centerline Outlaws from the early eighties. The bare brushed aluminum finish is timeless and not as popular anymore. I use that corrosive and dangerous acid to clean them every so often, and they look like new and flawless every time.

The CJ bolt pattern with the large hub hole yields Limited wheel choices. The need for larger wheel offsets makes it even worse. The Method brand is offering some decent choices with modern spoked designs, perfect if you want to show off your discs on all corners. They heard us, the “set in our ways” old timers.
Not a CJ bolt pattern. Well, ok, it IS the same pattern, but the axles are off a Dodge truck. Full size Dana 44 front, Chrysler 9.25 rear. As far as Method wheels go, I just wanted something that would keep the military look. These wheels won't be shiny anymore once they get powder coated desert sand... I hope you can powder coat aluminum. I'm calling tomorrow to find out.

I also find your “reverse” wrapped leaf springs interesting. Very favorable for your SOA.
One of the reasons I go them. When I was looking at YJ springs for the SOA, I read up on the Rubicon Express ones, as they were designed for just that purpose.

Think that offset is going to look cool. Will you have to worry about inspection sticker or needing fender flares?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may end up extending the fenders a bit, not sure yet, but there's no inspection in my part of the state... only up in that corner of the state by Chicago. I guess they wanna be part of IL. I live in Indiana.

Forgot to post photos of the properly fixed fuel tank.

11a.JPG

11b.JPG

11c.JPG

Anodizing your wheels might be a better option. Unfortunately it’s not simple to do it.

You are using Dodge axles and I am using Dodge Ram wheels on my CJ. May I ask what model year your Dodge axles are? I see that the pumpkin is on the passenger side.

That flat desert tan military color is fabulous. Great choice.

Anodizing your wheels might be a better option. Unfortunately it’s not simple to do it.

You are using Dodge axles and I am using Dodge Ram wheels on my CJ. May I ask what model year your Dodge axles are? I see that the pumpkin is on the passenger side.

That flat desert tan military color is fabulous. Great choice.
No clue on the rear, but mid 80s. They came on a 1980 CJ5 I got already built. When I went looking for a replacement housing for the front, it was from a 1983.

Wheels are back from powder coat. They look awesome except for one thing... The powder coat is a lighter color than the rattle can. Looked different on the color chart in the brochure. Probably close enough not to worry about. It's not gonna be a show vehicle or anything, but I may try to look for a lighter color or spray paint to match. I'll have to think on it. It's not like our military vehicles always had all matching parts anyhow.

11d.JPG

I started in on the procedure for the cleaning, and sealing of the fuel tank, following the instructions of the Eastwood sealer. Went to take the bolt out of the tank where the sending unit goes. The guy who welded it up stainless screws would be cool given the recess would collect water. Not sure if one was cross threaded, or the dissimilar metals caused it to seize, but this happened...

11e.JPG

Nothing like the fun of drilling out a broken bolt again...
I get out the cutting oil I "borrowed" from the motorpool at Ft Hood back in 1985.

11f.JPG

In order to wash out the tank with the metal wash, muratic acid, rust remover, then put in the liner, I need to be able to plug that big hole in the top. Well, the bolts the new tank is made to use are bigger than the original was designed for... More drilling.

11g.JPG

Then, so many minutes on each side, for each step...

11h.JPG

That’s one heavy duty tank.

Sweet Lord this is taking too long. Had a little bit of money, so I picked up the first 2 tires today. Word is tires are gonna be hard to get here soon, so I want them while I can get them. Hell, EVERYTHING is hard to get. I got one type of fish out of 4 ordered for my VFW fish fry supplies I picked up today. Two 35x12.50 BFG KO2 tires pretty much take up the entire roof of my little 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Endeavor... that only rides on 31s.

11i.JPG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks