Build Thread The $120 Jeep CJ7 build thread

Build Thread The $120 Jeep CJ7 build thread
Remember... this is only a military "tribute" build, not a direct duplicate, so it's not going to be exactly like any specific model of military vehicle. It's just gonna have that "Army" flavor.

Then I went top test fit my headers, only to find out they aren't going to work. The driver's side points too close to the frame, and the passenger side interferes with the transmission dipstick... Looks like I'll be changing over to the block hugger type.

9r.JPG

9q.JPG

The old exhaust has two perfectly good Flowmasters, so I figures I could save some money here. The old headers were also still serviceable, but I'm not going with the former owner's fender exit exhaust. Anyway, I sawzall off one muffler, (that had been out behind the shed for a couple years) and discover something. A Flowmaster makes a good mouse home...

9s.JPG

Doesn't have anything to do with the Jeep, but hope you all had a Happy Easter. I did.

It was also Brandy's birthday. (my service dog) She was born 7 years ago on Easter Sunday...
This was her this morning out in the back 40 on Princess Rock, where her predecessor is buried.

7 years old 1.JPG

FYI if you like the current headers, Mopar made quite a few different style of dip stick tubes, one might clear that header a lot better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Didn't like those headers. They didn't give hardly any space for the exhaust to go between the starter and the frame on the other side. The dipstick was just one issue. New set is Summit Racing brand. Better fit, less expensive, ceramic coated. I forgot to include the flanges when I sent back the old headers, so now I have the straight set that came with the Summit brand, and the angled set that came with the Sanderson headers. Whatever ones work best...

9t.JPG9u.JPG

Finished the front axle... finally. Put the outters on, and the new Warn premium locking hubs. New tie rod went on as well.

9v.JPG9w.JPG9x.JPG

I want to run a 15x10 wheel, but the 4.5" backspacing on them sets them a mite close. The 8" wheels that came off the old Jeep I got the axles off have 4" backspace, but damn... these look so good. I'll be running 35x12.50 tires, so maybe a 1/8 or 1/4 inch spacer...? Thing is, this baby is already a CJ with full size axles, so they're gonna be sticking out pretty far as is.

9y.JPG9z.JPG

Got around to painting the rear axle. Didn't bother to take it out and drag it out to the driveway though... Just crawled under, and sprayed the :dung: out of it. Getting to the point where I'm starting to take shortcuts because I want to get this thing done before the world collapses into chaos.

10a.JPG10b.JPG

I found one. After a little more than 2 years looking... I found my unicorn.

It all started when I saw this photo on the internet.

47485841_2179296865652128_7611878218378772480_n.jpg

A Jeep top with sides that can swing open, and even be removed with the top staying on. Perfect for fat, old, crippled soldiers who don't feel like climbing over seats to grab gear out of the back, or for having that open air Jeep feel, while still having hard top shade.

Ladies, and gentlemen... I give you my Jeep top. Of course, I have to get to Texas to pick it up, but I'm so happy right now.

God loves me.

10c.PNG10d.PNG10e.PNG10f.PNG10h.PNG

Attachments

• 10g.PNG
    10g.PNG
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
All the pieces of the fuel tank are done, and ready to be stitched together. Loaded them up for the trip to the welder tomorrow. There will be no skid plate. However... the bottom "U" shaped section of the tank, and the baffles are made of material that's equal to the thickness of the factory skid plate, and thicker than the one from the YJ. Sides, and top will be standard fuel tank sheet metal to save weight. (and money) This will be a general purpose off road/overlanding/daily driver Jeep anyway, not a hard core rock crawler.

10i.JPG10j.JPG

Also got my new calipers in for the 4 wheel disc brakes.

Front.
10k.JPG

Rear.
10l.JPG

Looking ahead to after I get the tub back on, I picked up this baby...

10m.JPG

If that looks like a deuce & a half windshield, where each side opens up... that's because it is. It will need to be cut down in booth height, and width, but plan is to build that into the windshield frame. One of my best memories (fun things) is just cruising in a deuce down the road with the breeze blowing in through the bottom of those windows that are opened several inches. Plenty air, no bugs. A lot of times I would set my canteen (or Pepsi/Gatoraid) right on the hood out in front of the windshield frame just behind the open glass as I cruise down the highway.

Wasn't sure how or when I was ever gonna get down to TX to get that top, but the guy who had it hooked me up. His buddy was coming up to Metropolis, IL (Yes they have a Superman statue) for an archery competition, and would bring it with. Met him down there yesterday. Still spent 10 hrs on the road going down there, and back, but that's a lot less than 17 each way to TX, and with premium $3.75 a gal... I jumped at the chance.

Here it is in Metropolis.

10o.JPG10p.JPG

Truth, Justice, and the American way... Good thing Metropolis is in Southern IL, and not up near commie chicago...

10q.JPG

Safe at home this AM.

10r.JPG

That’s a great plan B to get something so unique. Never even knew they made tops like that. Will be a great piece to offset your rig from others.

Suicide side windows...... That’s cool! Would be bad if they opened at speed........ Or, use em as air brakes??

Hot damn! Been waiting on this forever... Welding guy finally fished stitching together my fuel tank. I'll get it cleaned out this week, then seal it, and get it painted, and ready to go in. I have to do the fuel lines, rear part of the brake lines, and move the rear shock mounts for the YJ tub, and I'll be able to get the tub on it to start the wiring. Probably get somebody started on the front bumper too, but I'm thinking I'll go with someone who doesn't take 2 months...

10s.JPG

10t.JPG

As is par for the course... I haven't done anything for a spell on the Jeep. It seems to come in spurts. Small spurts that are all too often, months apart. In any case, the heat of summer, being busy at the VFW, and my arthritis have all combined to keep me out of the garage. With the new fuel tank, I had hoped to get back at it. Come to find out, the fuel take was made incorrectly. The vent, and filler hose hook ups were just low enough to hit the frame... (but of course)

The guy said he'd fix it soon as he can, but a week became two, then three, then I took it elsewhere.

It's fixed.

So, then I go grab my bottle of Eastwood fuel tank sealer I got online to read how to apply it. Guess what? That's not a 1, or 2, or even 3 step process... AND, they want you to start by using their Eastwood Metal Wash #10120.

That you can ONLY get... from them. (but of course)

Back to the online ordering... and corresponding waiting.

In the meantime, I got another e-mail from Summit Racing asking if I wanted to cancel my order for my wheels.

No, not really. Already got 2. Already paid for the other 3 way back in April, and have been getting different (progressively later) ship dates from the manufacturer all summer. Well now they're saying January 2022.

OK, The proverbial straw, has broken this camel's back. I canceled the order, and wend with another wheel. I really wanted the old school steelies with the dog dish hub caps, but I can only take so much. American Racing has a wheel that once powder coated should look fairly close to a modern military wheel, so I ordered 5 of them.

Boom, they got here in 3 days from TX.

firetruck California, and their Wheel Vintiques steelies.

IMG_0475.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom