Build Thread The $120 Jeep CJ7 build thread

Build Thread The $120 Jeep CJ7 build thread
02d3d930a2d99bedc838d4d7b588cb1e.jpg
37d636190fc103edc423889eb03f160e.jpg
02761f812ae84356b6538fa7f785d67d.jpg

I had to Use a CJ brake pedal on my YJ pedal box/tub for whatever reason they changed the pedal ratio and my jeep wouldn’t stop for :dung:

They had a dual diaphragm yj booster that’s supposed to be better than the CJ set up, it was $200 and out of stock when i looked i went with an astro hydro booster, its really nice and was $100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the fluid passes through the power steering pump correct ?

Correct, it provides the hydraulic pressure to power the booster

Nice day. Warm, but not hot. Got a lot of :dung: cleaned out in the garage. Always leaves blowing in when I'm out there with the door up... and I had about a year or more worth of clutter to clear out of the tub that has been serving as a catch all.

12t.jpg

Next was coating the inside of the frame to prevent it from rusting out once I get it all done. Took about a can, and a half.

12u.jpg

Gave the frame a final coat, and shot the transmission, and transfer case with high temp engine paint as close to the same color as I could find. Once I get the nasty engine out, cleaned, painted, and back in... I can put the tub on, and start on thing like wiring, and pluming. Plan is to have the tub on within the next couple weeks. (God willing)

12v.jpg12w.jpg12x.jpg12y.jpg12z.jpg

Took a nap, went out, and set the tub. Gonna make doing the engine harder, but I got impatient. I didn't bolt it down, do I can always lift an end up to make things easier if need be. Besides, I'm real sick of it being on those rickety old saw horses, plus now I have more room in the garage.

13a.jpg13b.jpg13c.jpg

How to deal with the whole full size axles sticking out thing.

13d.jpg

Sure they're stronger, and they even kinda look cool if your into that sort of thing. However, first trip through the mud, and you get covered. Can't see out your mirrors, got it all over the vehicle, the windshield. If it's nice weather, and you have the doors off... Sweet Lord, what a mess! Same for snow & slush. Well, except you most likely won't have the doors off.

Sorry boys & girls, I'm too old for that :dung:.

Enter, the trailer fender.

13e.jpg

Not 100% on the fronts yet, but I'm thinking just have two sets (yes, I have them) put together for one wider version. This, however will have to be done by somebody at a body shop, or with much better welding skills than mine. Funny how I keep putting off practicing to get better when I need it to be right... lol.

Man, it’s only right.

Lol even narrowing them down to 60 inchs they make a mhelluva mess on the inside of the Jeep

52280d813da67b3fea009200a75c640e.jpg

He looks pretty clean. Compared to the Jeep

Not too hip on working outside when it's ninety-eleven degrees, but had to get something done this week on her. decided to fab up the exhaust stack shrouds. Yes, you read that right... Stacks. That's the red-neck in me coming through a bit sure, but more important, any veteran who's ever driven a Deuce-and-a-half, at some point in the last 50 years can surely identify these things... Difference is this thing has a bit of a hot rod Mopar 360, so it's getting one on each side. They bolt right through the tub at the bottom, then I made a little bracket to hold them at the top.

280222718_3123693681212437_5143796707510793995_n.jpg280835665_3123693751212430_6526869331997544219_n.jpg281153915_3123693634545775_4632022081160744214_n.jpg

Again with the doing what I can with what I have on hand without any new parts... Today I worked a bit on fitting the military radio / sub enclosure to the tub. Mock up looks to be just about right. Probably be putting the finishing touches on that before too long. At least I'm pretty sure I have the stuff I need to do so already on hand, so that's one thing I could get knocked out.

13i.jpg13j.jpg

Can you tell me a bit about the specs on the radio…

Can you tell me a bit about the specs on the radio…
Look at earlier posts in this thread. It's a fake. Just parts of an old one made to look operational. It will be part of my audio system with a JL audio 10" subwoofer in it.

Oh, I see.

Been spending some time out in the garage last few days. I did get SOME of one order in. My front shocks. No rear shocks, or limit straps yet. I did run into a problem however... I have been using an old Fox Racing 2.0 shock I got used as a mock up. Seems they have changed their design in the last few years. The mock up shock is exactly like the ones I had on my 1999 F-250, and I was expecting this style. My order was shocks that had to fit according to the collapsed, and extended length I need, but the ends are not the same.

13k.jpg

Old style fits fine...

13l.jpg

New style... yup... ever so slightly... too wide.

13m.jpg

As if that's not enough, they upped the bolt size to 9/16. Soooo, I have to drill the holes bigger. If you go back to that first photo you can see the holes are not the same.

13n.jpg

Long story short, drilling out these mounts wasn't easy for my little 20v DeWalt, and I had to take a grinder to my bran-new $173 apiece shocks to narrow the bushing sleeve that little bit on each end. In the end, I got them on like e true red-neck.

13p.jpg

I also did some work with some of the Army parts I have already.

Toolbox will mount over the left rear fender like a sponson box on a tank, and the taillights went on.
Next, fenders came off to be undercoated, and got the first coat of paint.

13q.jpg13r.jpg13s.jpg13t.jpg13u.jpg13v.jpg

Of course then as I was looking at it from the front end admiring my new shocks... I noticed something. Thinking back to how I got the engine out of a sand toy Jeep, that had been stripped down, I didn't have a heater. I'll have to unplug the holes where the heater hoses go once I get to that point.

13w.jpg

I still have a lot of work to do on the jeep, and here I go getting sidetracked with yet another new project...

13x.jpg

Yes, that's a new Predator 420. It all started when I saw a video on youtube. (Yeah, 'cause that always ends well.) I subscribe to Jay Leno's Garage, and he recently did a video on a 1916 Autocar coal truck.

13z.jpg

I absolutely love the vehicles from that era. They're so simple, yet so rugged. Kinda like the Jeep... This one looks sorta like a big Kawasaki Mule, something I've always wanted to tool around in, and to carry stuff in. Well, I do have a old riding lawnmower sitting around with a blown motor. Good wheels, tires, steering gear, battery... I have some scrap steel... Just need a few things like a new engine... I can build the bed with lumber I have... I got on Powerpoint, and did some cutting, and pasting. (no photoshop)

13za.jpg

So far, just one evening in, this is what I got. My ancient yard sale Milwaukee hand held ban saw needs a blade real bad, and it is really starting to wander. Also you can feel the weld bump it's way through the material with every rotation. That, in combination with my horrible welding skills have me thinking I'll probably be dropping the frame off at the machine shop to be finished. Everything that goes on it will be bolted, so I can handle the easy stuff.

13y.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks