Sixth Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ Trail Report

Sixth Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ Trail Report
THANK YOU to all that took the time and effort to post these trip reports and pictures :punk:

:chug:

Be'n I'm from Colorado, sure does make me home sick. :notworthy:

Question for the folks run'n carb's-How was it at 13K'+.

I have had mine to 10K'+ with little issue.

LG

You'll get a different answer from each of us and they will all be true.

Shooby is EFI but he vapor locked on US50 heading up Monarch Pass, at the same spot myself and some other CJ did at the same time. He never had any more issues. He has a V8.

I locked several times but never for more than 10-15mins. Once on 50 outside of Canon City, and 3-4 more times between there and Ouray. Then about once a day after that. My issue is now isolated to fuel line that runs parallel to exhaust pipe. I have it all insulated but still happens with enough EGT. Does NOT happen here at 400'. Ever. I too have a V8.

I think OldJeepLady / Mriplaybass did twice the whole week. They have a V8.

Posi did not. He has V6.

BillD did not. He has I6.

BusaDave never does but he has a different electric fuel pump than me and he has a 4bbl on his V8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My carb was set at 8000ft, not one problem with it all week.

THX-After v'loc. Did anyone remove the gas tank's cap, to see if maybe they 'pulled' a vacuum on the tank.
I have seen this happen many times at the highest altitudes with carb'd engines.
It was something my Dad taught me to look for.......
LG

Yeah we've done that. No change. If I keep mine cool (below middle on "my" gauge) then it never happens.

It's amazing how much lower the evaporation point of gasoline is at altitude. At my altitude I can run around all day at 95 degrees and hot engine and exhaust with no problem.

My problem this year was predictable and manageable, so it didn't ruin the trip for me this time.

007-What's the altitude where you live?
My house here in the Mojave is 2740'(ASL)
One thing that has really cut down on engine heat issues, is the hood vent I installed a few years ago. The vent is at the back of the hood, between the hinges.
I also have an electric 'pusher' fan that moves the under hood air very well.
LG

I'm at 400 feet where I live, and I have no problems here.

To add... BusaDave has a pair of louver'd vents on his Jeep. I was impressed by how much air poured out of them.

I'm about to change hoods so I can go with a new Renegade decal and still keep my original hood/decal. I may fab in some cable operated vent.

I recommend you add the vent to the back area of the hood as that seems to 'collect' and trap engine heat.
You really don't want hood vents on the side of the hood, as the hot air is then sucked into the cab area when on the road, along with any smells from the engine bay.
LG

I didn't take too many pictures, too busy trying to keep at least two wheels on the ground at all times, but here are 4 nice ones:
IMG_1513_zpsjenefgwk.jpg
IMG_1512_zps6r09yj8k.jpg
IMG_1511_zps9amz3cna.jpg
IMG_1514_zps2tugiyi6.jpg

Wish I had a picture of Mr. & Mrs. 007 to add to this, but they had to leave before I got sentimental!
It all ended too soon.

no nice picture of Ben either...thanks for luggin' my spare tire around for me!

Here's a good one of the Bonds taken at the top of California Pass.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 87
Question for the folks run'n carb's-How was it at 13K'+.
I have had mine to 10K'+ with little issue.
LG

When I bought my CJ the carb was set for sea level but it still ran great in the mountains. So for anyone thinking of coming to the next Colorado trail ride you don't need new jets and needles. A little adjustment to the air/fuel mixture won't hurt but the real issue we've seen is vapor lock. Vapor lock is much more prevalent at higher elevations. Everything, water, fuel, everything vaporizes easier at higher elevations. I had vapor lock for a long time after buying my CJ. I tried everything. I mean everything, insulating my fuel lines and exhaust, venting my hood, all the voodoo such as close pins on the fuel line and removing the gas cap. Nothing helped at all until I got an electric fuel pump and installed it down by my tank. That did it. I still think I get vapor lock but it doesn't matter. If I park my jeep when it's hot I think the gas vaporizes. Then when I try to start it the engine dies. With the fuel pump at the tank and PUSHING the gas instead of trying to suck the vapor as the OEM mecanical pump tries to do, I can always restart my engine. I let it idle as the pump pushes gas into the carb. Then I can go.:D

It is amazing how much heat builds up under the hood with a V8. I installed hood vents. As 007 was saying a tremendous amount of heat comes out of those vents but it still wasn't enough to prevent my vapor lock.
hood_vent_9__small.jpg

More info here: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f7/hood-louvers-7251/index2.html#post81104

Last edited:
You guys have really brought up an interesting topic with vapor lock at those extreme altitudes even with fuel injection. I would really like to know how these issues were resolved. Save that for another post, maybe even a sticky.

FI sees little v'lock issues because of the high fuel line psi to the injectors.
I cured 99% of mine, with my hood vent(carb'd jeep)and replacing the 5/16" OEM metal fuel line with 3/8"(more fuel volume). I also have an ele. pusher fan than I can turn on anytime to add to the air movement inside the engine bay.
I also only use prem gas in my Jeep.
LG

That's what I am talking about. I would think that with a 3/8" inlet line, the return line would get a lot more use along with keeping the fuel cool. As far as gas goes, I hear that a low ethanol type would be the best which can vary from each state. I am sorry for pirating such a great thread, but vapor lock was mentioned.

I'll start a new vapor lock thread this weekend. The only edit to BusaDave's post is that fluids vaporize MUCH quicker at "higher" altitudes not lower. Just a mistype. The difference is quite shocking.

Every facet of your Jeep that involves air or fluid will behave somewhat differently at high altitude. BillD and BusaDave and others don't notice this like I do because they live at over 6000' so they have a different "normal" than those living much much closer to sea level.

Re: Rainbow Falls Off-road Area

While I'm learning video posting, here's one of this years Poughkeepsie Gulch. It ain't pretty but I made it up.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:

:chug::chug: sweet... I cant wait to get mine going

Bill may think he is fooling everyone, but he isn't fooling me. I know he purposely took the hardest line up the wall. Not only that, he let everyone know he could do it on three wheel. Some excellent driving if you ask me. :cool:

It would be nice if the mods moved the last three posts to 6th CO trail report. Thanks.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks