Planning the 8th Annual Colorado Trail Ride

Will you be able to attend the 8th Annual Ouray - Silverton Trail Ride

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Planning the 8th Annual Colorado Trail Ride

BusaDave9

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.
It's time to start planning our next Colorado Jeep-CJ.com trail ride. This is the 8th year in a row. This year we'll be using Silverton as our base.

The Colorado Trail Ride will be from August 20th through the 24th.

During this thread we may decide on specifics or change plans. Those posts may get lost in the middle of the thread so Please check back here to this first post in this thread for any updates.

Communication: Cell phones are useless after we leave town. Once we are on the trail we'll use CB radios to communicate. Although they are recommended they are not mandatory. We use CB channel 16.

A typical day of trail rides: We eat breakfast at 8 am. Some motels have some sort of breakfast otherwise join us at a restaurant to be decided the night before.
We leave town at 9 am. Make sure your tank is already filled the night before.

Every day seems to be sunny and warm in town. As we climb into the mountains it gets cool. Bring layers and a rain jacket.

We eat lunch on the trail. It's nice to bring a small cooler to carry a sandwich and water. If you don't have a small cooler several members often have a cooler larger than necessary. Someone is always willing to keep your lunch fresh.

Even though every morning seems to be sunny it always seems to rain most afternoons in late summer in the mountains. This is why we like to leave on the trail ride early.

When we get back to town, everyone wants to unwind but please refuel before nightfall. This helps to make sure we are all ready to leave at the same time in the morning. Then we all have dinner at a restaurant. In recent years our group has been too big to all eat at the same restaurant. We discus the next day's trail ride. This is especially important when volunteers help lead some of the trail rides.

Where are we going this year? Each year I like to add more trails we have never been on and this year I have 2 new trails (Arrastra Gulch & Porphyry Gulch). We have never been on these two trails during the Jeep-CJ trail rides. This is a testament to how many jeep trails there are throughout these mountains.

The tentative plan for trail rides:
Each day we will probably split up into approximately 2 groups (depending on attendance we might have 1 group some days). The meeting place for each trail ride will most likely be the motel or camp of the trail leader.

Pick from these trails:
Monday - trip 1 or 9
Tuesday - trip 2 or 4
Wednesday - trip 3 or 6
Thursday - trip 7 or 5
Friday - trip 8 or 10

Trip 1: Engineer Pass trail. From Silverton we'll head north on the highway and turn off at Lower Engineer Pass trail. After we reach the top of Engineer Pass we'll go to Animas Forks ghost town.
Warning: Lower Engineer Pass Trail (also known as Mineral Creek trail) has some rock crawling.

Trip 2: Minnie Gulch, Maggie Gulch and then Eureka Gulch. These are beautiful glacial valleys that also have silver mines.

Trip 3: Black Bear Pass & Imogene Pass. We'll start on Highway 550 at Red Mountain Pass and climb over Black Bear Pass into Telluride. Then take Imogene Pass to Ouray and the highway back to Silverton.
Warning: Black Bear pass may be intimidating for those with a fear of heights.

Trip 4: Poughkeepsie Gulch. We'll take Lower Engineer Pass trail, this time starting at highway 550 and going up to Poughkeepsie Gulch fork.
Warning: This is a more difficult trail. You need lockers to take your jeep up "The Wall". If you don't feel you are up to it you can watch the others and then take the bypass.

Trip 5: Arrastra Gulch. We will follow jeep trails that follow under an old aerial tram. At the top we will explore the land around the Black Prince Mine. We have never gone on this trail.

Trip 6: Corkscrew Pass. We'll start on the Million Dollar highway and go up Corkscrew Pass. Then we'll follow Cement Creek back to Silverton. If there is time we'll probably go up Prospect Gulch.

Trip 7: Beartown site and Stony Pass. This is an enjoyable trail that takes us deep into the mountains to Beartown site and Kite Lake.

Trip 8: Cinnamon Pass and American Basin. We head up the Animas River gorge then take Picayune Gulch and Placer Gulch around to Animas Forks Ghost town. Then we'll go over Cinnamon Pass to American Basin.

Trip 9: Brooklyn Trail, US Basin, Porphyry Gulch. We've often gone on US Basin but today we'll cross over to Black Bear. We've also gone on Black Bear but we would reach a fork. I would always say "turn right at this fork" but today we'll take the left for the first (time instead of going over Black Bear Pass).

Trip 10: Kendall Mountain and Deer Park. We climb to the top of Kendall Mt and look down on Silverton.

These trail plans are tentative. We have 10 trail rides for only 5 days. I am assuming we will split up into 2 or 3 groups. This should give participants plenty of options. Some trails can not accommodate large groups. If I have a couple volunteers to help lead we can split up into enough groups to go on each one of these trail rides. Posi will be leading one group on trail rides. Later we will decide what trail rides will be options on which days. This depends on attendance.

Lodging
First off people need to understand that Silverton becomes a virtual ghost town in the winter. Many of the lodging options will not take reservations until the employees come back in the spring.
Here are some of my suggestions:

Red Mountain Cabins and RV Park - this place is just as soon as you enter the town of Silverton. I like staying in these cabins. There are also picnic tables that we can gather in the evening.
Expect to pay about $120 or more per night
Red Mountain Cabins

Canyon View Motel - this place is also just as you enter Silverton (across the street from Red Mountain Cabins).
Expect to pay over $90 per night
Welcome to Canyon View Motel!

Grand Imperial Hotel - I have never stayed here and I don't know if any members ever have. This Hotel was built in 1883. This place has been purchased by the railroad owner and remodelled to look as it did 100 years ago.
Expect to pay over $150 per night
grandimperialhotel

Triangle Motel - this place is centrally located.
Expect to pay over $90 per night
https://www.trianglemotel.com/

There are also RV campgrounds right in town such as:
Red Mountain Motel and RV Park
Silverton Lakes RV Resort

To see what our trail rides are like check out these links to our previous trail rides:
7th Jeep-CJ Trail Ride http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/7th-annual-colorado-jeep-cj-trail-report-28427/
6th Jeep-CJ Trail Ride http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/sixth-annual-colorado-jeep-cj-trail-report-26627/
5th Jeep-CJ Trail Ride http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/fifth-annual-colorado-jeep-cj-trail-report-25280/
4th Jeep-CJ Trail Ride http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/fourth-annual-colorado-jeep-cj-trail-report-23465/
3rd Jeep CJ Trail Ride http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/3rd-annual-colorado-jeep-cj-trail-report-19972/
2nd Jeep-CJ Trail Ride http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/2nd-annual-colorado-jeep-cj-com-trail-report-15621/
1st Jeep-CJ Trail Ride http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/jeep-cj-com-colorado-trail-ride-6722/

36675428005_e275741583_c.jpg
36505952012_67c0269f4b_c.jpg
36505973172_0157a521a6_c.jpg
36279376480_34a42bfd66_c.jpg
36629075256_5e3b619348_c.jpg
20172484796_fb5eb01871_c.jpg
20012879639_ce2ab3042e_c.jpg
20014366559_2e13155a1f_c.jpg

Last edited:
Oh heck ya

Sent from my couch using Tapatalk

218 days and 917 Miles, I make it my mission to be on this trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really hoping to make it this year. Wifey and I plan to leave Maine around memorial day and take in the sights on the way.

Whos taking the alternate route on "the wall" this year? lol - Pick a better line than I ended up with... :D

What do you mean?? :confused: You did great!
By the way, did you get your soft top fixed yet? :poke: :D

Any recommendations for lodging in Silverton ?

Any recommendations for lodging in Silverton ?
Look at the planning thread for the sixth annual ride which was based in Silverton. There are places to stay listed there. We may be camping this year with two big trips planned. Looking forward to seeing you and this year I am getting lots of pictures of your Jeep. LOL

I am planning to stay at Molas lake campgrounds , looks nice on the website and is close to Silverton

By the way, did you get your soft top fixed yet?

Still duct tape patched lol - I'm sinking money into a new built 360 at the moment... :D

but a new top is definitely needed anyways, that one was already on it's last leg...

Lodging

First off people need to understand that Silverton becomes a virtual ghost town in the winter. Many of the lodging options will not take reservations until the employees come back in the spring.
Here are some of my suggestions:

Red Mountain Cabins and RV Park - this place is just as soon as you enter the town of Silverton. I like staying in these cabins. There are also picnic tables that we can gather in the evening.
Red Mountain Cabins

Canyon View Motel - this place is also just as you enter Silverton (across the street from Red Mountain Cabins).
Welcome to Canyon View Motel!

Grand Imperial Hotel - I have never stayed here and I don't know if any members ever have. This Hotel was built in 1883. This place has been purchased by the railroad owner and remodelled to look as it did 100 years ago.
grandimperialhotel

Triangle Motel - this place is centrally located.
https://www.trianglemotel.com/

Carol and I stayed at Canyon View two years ago and it was adequate if not palatial. Don’t expect much in the way of clean sheets or towels during the week and consumables are not replenished on any sort of basis. We spent one night in the newly remodeled Grand Imperial just to say we had. If lugging your suitcases and etc. up two or three flights of stairs (no elevators) is your cup of tea, then go for it. I might also add that there is no room phone (or any other kind) and no internet. Getting into the bath tub/shower is no small job. Those suckers must sit 3 1/2 feet above floor level and a ladder was not provided. I can live with small inconveniences like this but Carol was much less forgiving.

We have decided to pull the fifth wheel over this year and hope to get it in at the Red Mountain RV Park. I have not checked with them yet and have no idea what they charge or if there is any vacancy.

Hey wait a minute red mountain rents Jeeps :)

You can rent them in Moab also. Ask me how I know :)

Yea, there's another option. Come out here anyway you can and rent a jeep. These rental jeeps can be taken on any trail except Black Bear Pass and Poughkeepsie Gulch.
007 might be able find a rental jeep that you can take on those 2 trails. He got the "Barbie Jeep" for Posi. :D

You can rent them in Moab also. Ask me how I know :)

That’s pretty much what I was thinking, should I break down I can rent a Jeep and keep going lol. Sure would hate to work my butt off to get there and miss some trail rides do to a break down

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

That’s pretty much what I was thinking, should I break down I can rent a Jeep and keep going lol. Sure would hate to work my butt off to get there and miss some trail rides do to a break down

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

So are you going to put that bad boy on a trailer to bring it out there ? That would be the decision maker. If you have to drive it home then you need to get it fixed sooner than later, but if you have a trailer you just load it up and fix it later and rent the jeep

So are you going to put that bad boy on a trailer to bring it out there ? That would be the decision maker. If you have to drive it home then you need to get it fixed sooner than later, but if you have a trailer you just load it up and fix it later and rent the jeep

Yes I plan to trailer mine out there as I doubt I will have time to thourghly shake it down and prove it on the trail, so I plan to borrow a trailer if I can or rent one and I will tow it up there with my quad cab Cummins Dodge

Sent from my couch using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks