Planning the 6th Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ Trail Ride

Will you make it to the Jeep-CJ.com trail ride in Colorado?

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Planning the 6th Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ Trail Ride

BusaDave9

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.
It's time to start thinking about the next Colorado Jeep trail ride.
This will be the 6th Annual Jeep-CJ Trail Ride!

I don't have any details decided yet. That's the purpose of this thread, to get everyone's input.
Here's some of my ideas: for the sake of variety I am thinking of having it based in Silverton in stead of Ouray. There are more trails out of Siverton that don't even require getting on the highway to reach them. But there are fewer motels and restaurants in Silverton.
Silverton is a very small town. It depends on the Durango-Silverton Steam Locomotive to keep it alive. The train has already stopped running all the way to Silverton so you may not be able to reach anyone if you call most of the motels in town. You'll have to wait till early spring.

If you plan on coming you can stay at the Canyonview Motel (970) 387-5400
Another option is the Red Mountain Motel, Cabins, RV Park
Or the newly remodeled Grand_Imperial_Hotel
Both of these places are on the south end of town across the street from each other. I plan on staying at the Red Mountain Cabins.

The trail ride will be the 3rd week of August 2016 (Aug. 15 to 19th).
This will avoid the crowds but if you have kids this might interfere with school. What are your thoughts?
Weekends will be travel days to get to Silverton CO. Trail rides will be weekdays.

As we come up with more specifics I will post them here. I will edit this first post. I think that will be less confusing than starting a new thread or posting important info in the middle of this thread.

Check this 1st post of this thread for updates and the latest info. Yes right here
Elsewhere in the thread we may discuss other options but this is the only place I will place the updated plans

Here's the itinerary I'm thinking of:
Saturday Aug. 13th - Travel Day. No trail rides this day but we plan on meeting at Handlebar's restaurant for dinner and drinks. We'll be discussing the plans for the trail ride.

Sunday Aug. 14th. - Clear Lake, Brooklyn Trail and US Basin

Monday Aug. 15th. - Animas Forks Ghost Town then to Engineer Pass and out Highway 550

Tuesday Aug. 16th. - Black Bear Pass then coming back over Imogene pass to Ouray. Then we'll take highway 550 back to Silverton.

Wednesday Aug. 17th. - Picayune Gulch, Placer Gulch, Cinnamon Pass and American Basin.

Thursday Aug. 18th. - No plans. We never plan out the last day until the participants discuss what they would like to do. We may be doing Poughkeepsie Gulch this day but only if everyone is up to it. This would be the only trail that you need lockers. Well, either lockers or you have to be Posi. He's the only one I've ever heard of that has made it up The Wall with open differentials. If no one wants to try Poughkeepsie Gulch we can try something more mild, more scenic or whatever.

Friday Aug. 19th. - To be decided. Jeep to the top of Kendal Mountain? This may not work out with a large group. It's hard to turn around up there.
20010769118_3ee97bd24f_z.jpg

19576970064_57ea68a94b_z.jpg

392DescendingBlackBear.jpg

19578148914_ea4a7a6cdf_z.jpg

865_AmericanBasinCJ5Large.jpg
American Basin

Last edited:
Third week of August with fewer crowds would be great! Pretty much anytime should work for us though. Already looking forward to seeing everyone from last year!:chug:

The food and drink are better in Ouray.:chug:

I need to install on board O2 in my CJ.

In plus 1, for my third CO trail run.
Fun times with good folks
Staying in Silverton will be a good change up.
Third weeks works for us.
I recommend we meet at Handelbars on the first day for some Alaskan Ale, and elk burgers. :chug:

In plus 1, for my third CO trail run.
Fun times with good folks
Staying in Silverton will be a good change up.
Third weeks works for us.
I recommend we meet at Handelbars on the first day for some Alaskan Ale, and elk burgers. :chug:

What are you going to wheel this time? The rental place has had plenty of time to rethink letting you pull out of their lot with another Tj. :D

Third week of August with fewer crowds would be great! Pretty much anytime should work for us though. Already looking forward to seeing everyone from last year!:chug:

Same here…. We can hardly wait. Elkburgers yum… :drool: :chug:

What, are you suggesting that Posi is a bit.............. Enthusiastic about wheeling with a Barbie Jeep? :poke::laugh::laugh:

What, are you suggesting that Posi is a bit.............. Enthusiastic about wheeling with a Barbie Jeep? :poke::laugh::laugh:

I can hear the pink plastic scraping already. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hey now, let's get it right, it was yellow! :D

It should be ready, but I don't have the extra time off to haul it 5000 miles round trip, or the extra cash to ship it, hence the rental.

15-19th would work. I now have a tow rig. I am taking a vacation (that was not planned on by me, ahem....wife). So it will depend on work. But as always I will start planning now!

It should be ready, but I don't have the extra time off to haul it 5000 miles round trip, or the extra cash to ship it, hence the rental.

I hear you. I wish it would be feasible to take the time off and drive out and back. :cool:

It'll be good to get last years group to show up. It sounds like that may happen. We should be able to ride on some trails you guys havent been on.
865_AmericanBasinCJ5Large.jpg

American Basin
It would be nice to convince IOPort to come back to Colorado. This will be another great year. The first couple of years for the trail ride did start off slow although I would like to have Dan and his wife Denise join us again.

I have voted and am in the 80% sure category. I have been the last two years and feel confident in a return and look forward to a discussion on the details.

look forward to a discussion on the details.
I hope you can make it Mike.
Lets discuss.
I'm thinking the weekend will be travel days. I like Posi's idea:
We can meet at Handlebars Sunday August 14th.
Monday the 15th: How about we take the highway to Engineer Pass trail.
WP_20150727_009%20Custom_zpssg6tdj4v.jpg
We can come down to Animas Forks Ghost town. Then over Hurricane Pass and down the back way to Silverton.
Day2-25CaliforniaPass_zps870c96d4.jpg
I don't want to do difficult trails too soon in the week. Don't want to scare off any newbies. but Wednesday, what do you say we try Black Bear Pass and come back over Imogene Pass?

For variety we could go up to Clear Lake. We haven't done that trail since the 2nd annual trail ride. We also haven't been into American Basin since the first trail ride.

It's a good idea saving the harder trails for the end of the week for multiple reasons
Black Bear/Imogene Pass is a must for everyone, good scenic trail
It will be the third trip for some/most in the group, adding a couple new trails would be exciting.
I like how last year we left the last day open, then had a group decision on what trail we would run that day. I like the decision we made, and hopefully the same trail is included next year.

Good plan Dave. I'll give you a call tomorrow evening or over the weekend to chat. I do expect to be there again, but have to make sure about that particular week and I have some work planned for the winter that I need to make sure is going to get done before I return. Once I commit though, I'll be committed.

I do like the tentative plan. While there are a lot of trails out there, it seems like it's hard to miss the major / popular ones. I love Engineer/Hurricane/California/Corkscrew (or any sections thereof), Black Bear/Imogene as well.

Talk to you soon...

Glad to see you are planning to make it Mike! Let us know if there is anything we can do to help with your upgrades. Other than paying for them! :laugh::poke:Been doing a few upgrades of our own for next year.

I like the initial plan Dave. It will be great to see everyone again!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks