Build Thread A 1984 Black CJ7 Build - My never ending project/addiction

Build Thread A 1984 Black CJ7 Build - My never ending project/addiction
Re: My New to me '84 CJ7. First Jeep and first post too.

Looks like you changed out the rear fender flares... The Wrangler ff's that were on there just weren't working for me. Looks great.

Are you still planing on putting a decal kit on it?

I put this up a while ago:

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f7/few-words-decal-stripe-kits-4593/

I always thought the factory light/med/dark orange might look cool on a black instead of red...

JillRick_KS_84JeepCJ7_2RR.jpg

They DON'T make blue anymore... sorry ;)

I was thinking about doing a Renegade graphics kit. I think I will hold off for just a bit. I have some projects still to work on with the jeep. There are a lot of options for decal kits though . .

Renegade Decals & Strip Kits

Just an FYI... Collins Bros are selling Phoenix Graphix stripe kits. That's who I did not mention in my Stripe kit warning thread.

Thanks for the heads up. I was just going to do something simple though. I like the look of this:

collinsbros_2170_8185463

Just something to break up the all black. I am getting black/grey rugged ridge neoprene seat covers, for the front and back seats, to help give the jeep a little color.

I am getting black/grey rugged ridge neoprene seat covers, for the front and back seats, to help give the jeep a little color.

I was going to re-upholster my seats but it was going to cost too much money so I also went with the seat covers. I'm very happy with the end result.

2349d1266263760-cj7-restoration-progress-advice-please-img_1147.jpg

3553d1281672462-cj7-restoration-progress-advice-please-photo.jpg
2350d1266263760-cj7-restoration-progress-advice-please-img_1149.jpg

So here it is as of today. I found a set of seats out of a '80s Renegade for 200 bucks. They are that baseball color. Then I put some rugged ridge neoprene covers on them. The seats I had before were out of a nissan and they were bolted in place. The new seats have all the correct hardware, which is awesome. I also had a minor timing issue and vacuum line issue, which is all fixed now. The best top bikini top was also put on yesterday. I think it came out pretty good. I think I am in to it for around 3 grand now.

Here are some pics before a good washing. There is still some white wet sanding powder on it. I just washed it but it is too dark now to take any pictures.

2011-08-06_10-09-21_491.jpg

2011-08-06_10-09-09_944.jpg

2011-08-06_10-09-00_109.jpg

Here are some updated pictures. I had the inside lined with SEM Rock-it bedliner. SEM Truck Bed Liner I also had the half doors, that used to be blue, painted black. The mirrors on them have been removed. I bought a set of axles, Dana 30/AMC20, with 4.10 gearing, but those haven't been installed yet. The front has a detroit trutrac and the rear has a trac-lok. Just waiting on the funds to buy a lift and tires right now.

2011-12-24_10-33-46_35.jpg

2011-12-21_11-36-52_819.jpg

Here is a little vid from a few days ago. I didn't get stuck, I just had to back up a bit and go around the rock. It was fun but the gearing was terrible in the woods. The open diffs and the 31 inch A/Ts didn't help much either, but it was still fun to play around in the woods regardless, haha.

2011-12-21_10-34-45_648.mp4 video by diddy20032008 - Photobucket

Thanks man and nice avatar pic. Looks like turn 6. I did a few penguin schools up in NH. Fun times. I just hope the Jeep is as good as it looked when I checked it out. Its my first Jeep, and I am excited, but I am praying I am not about to open a massive can of worms, hahaha.

CAN OF WORMS IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT!

you should go back to the PO and kiss him on the mouth for that price... you not only STOLE it, but you did it in broad daylight... UNARMED!

good on ya.. .and have fun!!:chug:

^Thanks man. I got REALLY lucky with it. So far it hasn't needed anything too major, which is awesome :notworthy: I did replace the carb and some little stuff, but that was to be expected considering the age of the CJ. The big expense will be the lift and tires. Those things will be more than I paid for the jeep, haha.

:chug:

Ordered up a 4 inch lift, heavy duty shackles, stainless steel brake lines, and a steering stabilizer today. Should take 1.5 weeks to come in. I did get my tires in today. 33x12.5x15 MTRs. Also got the Jeep back from the paint shop today. There was a crack in the filler, where the steel was replaced, and my buddy wanted to fix it. The doors were also painted and fitted on to the Jeep. I wanted that done because I want to get a soft top and use the hard doors. Its running great but I have a small power steering fluid leak I will need to take care of at some point.

Sorry about the garbage iphone pics.

299e4ce8.jpg

c6f4fcd6-1.jpg

I will be putting on a set of axles (Dana 30/AMC20) with 4.10s at the same time. The front has a Detroit truetrac and the rear has the trac lok. Should work well with the 33s.

The lift just came in today. I am going to try and install it tomorrow. I did end up buying a soft top for it. I think it came out nice. Here are some pictures after I put a coat of wax on the Jeep yesterday.

P1000274.jpg

P1000273.jpg

After the lift and tires today. Getting it aligned tomorrow. It rides great and I really like how it turned out.

4eea23e7.jpg

17795ea6.jpg

It now BARELY fits in the garage. I think it actually hit the arm of the garage door when I pushed it into the back garage. If it didn't it was a difference of a mm or something. Really tight. I how it sits down a bit when I break the springs in.

97af5700.jpg

I just have to find a spare 33 inch tire now.

I just washed it so I figured I would snap some pics. Its also the first time I unzipped all the windows and took the doors off. It looks kind of cool I guess but I still prefer just a bikini top. Spare looks good I think.

P1000363.jpg

P1000368.jpg

P1000370.jpg

P1000375.jpg

P1000379.jpg

diddy2003,

Nice Jeep man. And finally got some good top down weather around here.

Quick question - what did you get for a soft top?
I'd like to get a softtop for my CJ. It doesn't have the snaps on the side for the original softtop, so I'm not about to drill into the thing. Those rails along the edge look like the way to go. I'm thinking about trying to get a used one off the web from a Wrangler.

Thanks.

Very cool.
Thanks for the info.

Had fun with the Patriot Jeepers club on saturday. Pretty fun day. Some pics:

P1000475.jpg

P1000438.jpg

P1000402.jpg

Bunch of Jeeps were there:
P1000389.jpg

Unfortunately I discovered this when doing some stuff to the jeep today . . .

345d2b09.jpg

Was sitting on the manifold . . . . It's always something . . . .

You have a great looking rig and have done a very tasteful update of it.

I am in the process of pricing up what it would take to rebuild my CJ. If you don't mind I have some questions on your project.

Mostly around the labor. What did you have to pay for the body and paint work? Did you do the rest yourself?

What lift and shackles did you do? I have a 4" superlift that makes my sti ride feel like a caddy.

How much better is it on the highway with the 4.10's. I need to rehear too and am thinking 4.10 as well.

Sorry for all the questions. I usually do all my own work but this time around I am farming it out due to time, patience, and priorities.

You have a great looking rig and have done a very tasteful update of it.

I am in the process of pricing up what it would take to rebuild my CJ. If you don't mind I have some questions on your project.

Mostly around the labor. What did you have to pay for the body and paint work? Did you do the rest yourself?

What lift and shackles did you do? I have a 4" superlift that makes my sti ride feel like a caddy.

How much better is it on the highway with the 4.10's. I need to rehear too and am thinking 4.10 as well.

Sorry for all the questions. I usually do all my own work but this time around I am farming it out due to time, patience, and priorities.

I lucked out on the paint and body work. My buddy did everything for 1200 bucks. He owns an auto body shop and I think it came out pretty nice.

I haven't taken the Jeep on the highway yet. I can tell you that it is much different at 55 mph than before. About 1600 rpm at 55 to about 2300 rpm now at that same speed. It is nice being able to just stay in forth when I come to an incline at speed versus before when I constantly had to down shift to get the revs up. I really like the 4.10s. They match up well with the 33s.

I have a Rough Country 4 inch lift with Rough Country 3/8 inch heavy duty shackles. I feel it has a great ride and it worked well in the woods right out of the box.

:chug:

Awesome thanks for the insight...I need a friend w/a body shop too.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom